3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? for woodie experts...  (Read 497 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
? for woodie experts...
« on: July 22, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
I got a hold of a dozen perfect shafts, 34" long. I thought they were cedar, but when I started tapering them a very sharp pungent "pine" scent emerged. The grain is very pronounced and varies from about 1/16" to 1/8".(at first I thought they might be lam birch) I recieved them straight....perfectly straight. Each one spines at exactlt 52 lbs.
Can any of you ID the wood from this, or have any way for me to? I was wondering if the different wood arrows weighed in differently, had different grain patterns, and or smells. I am guessing they are either spruce, fir, or pine.
Any help would be appreciated, for this project and for future reference. Thanks.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? for woodie experts...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
Not sure, probably doug fir or Norway Pine, both decent arrow woods.Could be lodge pole pine also.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »
Probably Douglas Fir or Chundoo (which is a pine but I forget what kind).  Either way they're great shafts.  I have some Chundoo arrows I made up eight years ago that never needed straightening.  I bought 50 Chundoo "seconds" from Kelly at the WV show.  "Seconds" hah! I got 28 shafts out of the bunch that spined 70-74#'s that are of better quality than the premiums I recently purchased.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Thanks guys...I will post a pic or two tomorrow. I am looking forward to making these things into arrows.
How does the pine/fir hold up compared to cedar?
Either way they will be in the woods with me this fall....along with some nice new bleeder blades   :thumbsup:  that never met a Turkey.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
Jamie,
In my experience doug fir and lodge pole pine hold up much better than cedar.  I'll go through a dozen cedars in just a few weeks of scouting and stumping, that's why I switched to ash (stuff is darn near impossible to break).  I've had a few lodge pole arrows I've been playing with the last year - not as tough as the ash, but still pretty durable, so I ordered 3 doz matched shafts for the next few season's arrows.
I've made a few of my own doug fir shafts.  They seem more durable than the pine, but I have no idea who sells 'em.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 08:10:00 AM »
Sounds like Lodge Pole Pine--Chundoo.  Makes a very good arrow.

Dennis

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
OK everyone, thanks for the input. I will be making up arrows soon. I took a few pics, so hopefully it helps settle it. As I tapered them for nocks, I noticed they are a bit "rougher" than cedar...These are actually nice to work with. And to think I got em all for six bucks...
  :jumper:  

-Jamie

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
If you're using a pencil type sharpener, it's not that they're rougher than cedar, they are harder than cedar.  Looks like a set of excellent Chundoo.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
I used a tru center taper tool. Thanks for all the help guys...I just couldnt go around shooting arrows and not knowing. I will try to let you all know how they come out.
                         -Jamie

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 12:44:00 AM »
SIX BUCKS????? Where they in a Yard Sale, or WHAT Man????
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 01:28:00 AM »
i'll take all you got for six bucks a dozen!

where did you get them?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 01:30:00 AM »
they don't look like fir....are the heavy compared to cedar?

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
Yeah I probably should have bought the other dozen too huh....I got them from a major outdoor store. No one knew how to ring them up, so the store manager told the kid to ring em up as inserts. This store's bow section is all wheelie, then one tiny corner for trad. A few bows, and thats about it. I saw these and asked about them...the rest is history. I tried helping them figure it out, I even told them I would guess 30$ for the dozen. Six bucks....ok. It was worth the half hour it took for the manager to show up.
                         -Jamie

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
Go back and get the others!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
I will check next time I am in the area. I got these about a month and a half ago, and am just now getting to make up arrows. I guess there is a good chance they will still have the other dozen being as no one knows how to ring em up.LOL.
                         -Jamie

Offline JImmyDee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by ishiwannabe:
...so the store manager told the kid to ring em up as inserts.
Good deal on the shafts --but I'd hate to be the guy paying six bucks for a dozen inserts...

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »
Prolly the first time in a long time someone used a set of inserts to make wood arrows...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Yeah Bro, when they are Picking Prices Out of their @ss is THE Best Time to HIT 'EM Hard!! Heck, they just sold them to get rid of them anyway, I bet.
  They are making More Room for Carbons, or Wheelie Accessories anyway.!!
             Good Score!!  :thumbsup:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©