3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dr. Ashby Report Question  (Read 477 times)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dr. Ashby Report Question
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Night Wing:
 I don't care what degree(s) Dr Ashby has or how many. You won't catch me shooting 637 grain arrows or more grain weight out of my 42# recurve.
I shoot a 42# longbow with 650 gr arrows and I agree with you on the tendency to drop a lot beyond 20 yards.  For me, it's not an issue because 20 yards is about my max effective range regardless of trajectory.  For a shooter who is effective out to 30 yards, they would have to practice for those shots to adapt to that drop.

Right now my set-up is 650 grain woodies with 19.35% FOC.  Am working on some ideas to get the FOC higher.

Not a buff hunter, but the principles Ashby has researched and presented make me feel better about hitting hills with the lighter bows that I've had to drop too due to physical problems.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Night Wing:

I don't care what degree(s) Dr Ashby has or how many. You won't catch me shooting 637 grain arrows or more grain weight out of my 42# recurve.
Just curious, Nightwing - why not? Have you tried it, with high EFOC?

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
If I remember correctly, it was said that a heavy enough arrow would get you the same penetration as a lighter arrow with efoc. I can't remember what that cross-over point was. Overall, the efoc arrow would still have a slight advantage with it's faster recovery.
Chuck

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
The graph that Ed used in his siminar was something like a 665gr arrow with EFOC and it could have had UEFOC, can't remember. It was compared to a 900+gr arrow with normal FOC. The heavy arrow had a slightly deeper penetration, but not by a landslide..

Troy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©