3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coastal Elk  (Read 328 times)

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
Coastal Elk
« on: July 22, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
Everyone knows elk are delicious. This year I think Im going to try and stock my freezer with one of these tasty critters. Ive never hunted elk before so I was looking to ya'll for some advice. You know, tips, tricks, super secret hunting holes(not really, well if ya want...). Im near the coast range here in Oregon so Ill be after Roosevelts, I know there are lots here. The first step is to find em. Im not having much luck with this one. I know where they are just havnt made visual contact in the last 4 scouting trips. So to those who know, how do I find em when their all around me? Hows hunter presure in the coast range i.e. Saddle mtn?

and those Rocky Mtn elk hunters... chime in too!
All advice is welcome! And all elk is delicious!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coastal Elk
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »
You are in one of the most populated elk areas on the Oregon coast range. Keep looking.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
My advise would be to Hunt the north side of the hills when its warm to hot temps. find a water source, and look for the trails to them....you'll have better luck stand hunting in warm weather. find a good trail with some rubs on it and plant yourself....when any sudden weather change happens, you'll notice much more movement during the day.  stalk in the rain... and hunt slow in the creek bottoms when the weather is nice...right now would be a good time to scout...after this week of rain you'll catch em out feeding later in the am and coming down before the sun set earlier too.

As far as hunting pressure goes....get away from the roads and hunt the steepest nastiest looking terrain you can find, then find the little flat spots in the middle of it....old overgrown skid roads are great. I've hunted that country myself years ago. its got plenty of critters. watch the regs though....It's 3 point or better, and leave the white tail deer alone.
 good luck bro!  5 weeks and counting!!!! Kirk

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
Im stoked. Ive seen major trails, but not much scat.
So many fresh trails infact, I think Ive found a place they cruise through daily/bi-weekly. Just havnt seen any of em yet... And deer sightings are off the chart. Was within shootin range of 4 blacktails the other day AND I had my border collie right next to me!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 12:51:00 AM »
log some time and you'll find them. What part of Saddle Mountain are you going to hunt?

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 01:24:00 AM »
I am here in the area too and would love to go out with someone with some experience this year.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 01:45:00 AM »
I havnt actually gone to Saddle Mnt yet. Was just curious about it because the game stats from 2006 show a good deal more elk than other units so I figured hunter presure would be gnarly. Im not into running into everybody and thier mother so Ive been looking elsewhere. But if the presure aint so bad then its definatly the place to be. I wouldnt think this post would send too many people there, I might have just shot myself in the foot...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©