3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: physical fitness for the western hunter..  (Read 348 times)

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
physical fitness for the western hunter..
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
ok, so nowadays there is a lot of talk about what a person does to get in shape for the backcountry, or the high country, or whatever country you like to hunt.  so what do all of you do?

how often do you guys shoot?  does it stay the same year round or get to be more before season.

exercise- what do you all do?

as for me, i was a "big guy" my whole life and changed that last year.  took up running, exercising, and eating right. have lost a bunch of weight and feel good. im not one of these 100 mile runners, but i am shooting for a half marathon this summer.  probably the farthest i will ever run.  i do believe some lifting or strength training (P90X is really good for that) is important too.

as for shooting, i think i shoot about the same amount year round.  i fling at least a few most days, and when i can i shoot a good bit more.  it is easier in the summer with the longer daylight hours for sure, but we do have an indoor range here and that helps...

how about all of you?
is it September yet??

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: physical fitness for the western hunter..
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
If its nice and the wind aint blowing 100 mph I shoot. I have never had a weight probblem and my activity pics up in August. I have never had a problem in the high country. If I hunt with any one local we all seem to be in good shape and acclimated. If I guide I have to watch out so I dont kill them. I am having shoulder surgery at the end of the month. I am going to incorerate a excercise routine with my physical reabilitation. It only makes sense.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
Muay Thai instructor.
5-3-1 core building program
 www.sealfit.com
shoot as much as i can.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
I try to stay ahead of the age curve by working out year around. Hiking, mountain biking, and some weights along with pushups. I'm of the 'everything counts' mentality, so I park at the far end of the parking lot, walk if I am playing golf, etc. I try to eat right, but sometimes my passion for Mexican food overtakes my good sense. I shoot almost every day, and now that I am in snowbird country, it is a lot easier to do than when I am at home and it is cold and snowy. In fact, I just got in from roving and stumping in the desert, and I am about to leave for a 5 or 6 miler in the hills, wearing a pack for a bit of extra weight.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Competitive power lifter USAPL, 162 lb weight class. Work in cardio training three months prior to elk season. I hate cardio, it's the hardest thing for me to stay motivated with. I also where a 30 lb. weight vest, just about everyday during the cardio training. I have to eat a lot more when I start the cardio training to keep my weight up. I feel that it's a fine line in trying to find the optimal hunting weight as far as caring too much weight and feeling it in the knees compared to not having enough and getting fatigued early. I don't think that an backpack hunter can do enough leg training, not only weights but also conditioning.

Try to shoot everyday, never go longer than two days without shooting, stays the same year round. I shoot a lot more indoor paper in the winter, shoot more 3d in the summer leading into fall. My form benefits more from shooting paper.

Offline CaliCreole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
Weights and cardio mon wed and fri, shoot tues thurs sat and sun. Im a big guy too I gained 65# when i broke my ankle a year and half ago, i tore all the ligaments and am barely starting to get back to the point where i can run on it (although its still sore) Im planning a 3 day backpacking hunt in september so Im using that as my motivation to get my a$$ in gear. Duncan Im interested in learning more about your 5-3-1 program
Bear State Archers
Riverside archers
Martin Bushmaster 55#

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
Hhhmm . . .  Not that year round training won't do it. . . but . . .

I get ready for a hunt with a minimum amount of training, for me, it is running at least 3 miles at a time. You need to be able to handle at least that much to build up your wind. Get on a stair stepper. Best way I know of to get the climbing muscles in shape. Eat right. Bad habits get bad results.

If I don't do at least that, I suffer. If I do that, the mts aren't so bad.
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
I live in Montana and I hunt in Montana. I am young enough(and active enough) that I don't really need to work out specifically to prepare for hunting season. That said, I am always riding my bike, hiking/scouting during the summer, or walking 2-3 miles to/from school. I would like to shoot more than I do, but it is nigh impossible for me to find the time to go anywhere and shoot during the school year.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
I used to try to run for 3 months prior to elk season and then would quit once season was over.  This resulted in an annual weight loss then weight gain routine.  Now I try to run 3 times per week year round and then ramp up my distance gradually as elk season approaches.  I also try to shoot very day if possible or at least every other day.

Offline wc kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
If your are idiot like me you dont do anything at all. First year I went to wyoming I didnt do anything that was 4yrs ago. I made it and actually made a kill that is when I realized I made a mistake. That was the worst 4mi I ever had to walk. Im 42 so 38 then now I work out well in advance. I did alot of pushups situps lunges and long walks with a pack. I dont jog but the walking worked for me. Make sure to lose as much unwanted weight as you can. Good luck.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Starting out each year, once it startes to warm up, I run at least 3 times a week.  About 45 minutes at a time.  I keep that up from early March to about mid Novemeber then take some time off to heal for the cold months.  I also like to do crunches and push ups.   The hills in the west can really take the wind outta your sails if you're not in good shape.  Also lunges will help strengthen your quads and glutes.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 03:00:00 AM »
Being 63 with bad knees I do not run an more. But do a lot of walking, hike and bike riding. In the summer take walks in the mountains around Salt Lake. Also use weights. Shoot as much as I can year round.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
I work out for an hour everyday five days a week. I have hunted in CO, WY, and MT. I think the best thing a guy can do is to do hills or stairs and work a shooting regimen into it. I used to set my rifle on the bipod and go up and down a couple hills, then get behind the rifle and try to hit the target. It is humbling at first. HYDRATE, HYDRATE,HYDRATE.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
I carry a heavy pack loaded with bricks and hike during the off-season. I live at 300 ft elevation and have found this is the best way to get my legs/lungs somewhat prepared for high elevation hunting.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
This level of endurance is a good goal. :o)

Chekmate TD Hunter II

Love many, trust few, row your own canoe!

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
What elkhunter45 said!!!!  Running helps build cardio and muscle mass/strength but you use the muscle groups different when hiking or walking. IF adding pack weight its even tougher on everything including your back. Long hikes with a weighted pack trains your muscles just as you are going to use them..............
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by huntnmuleys:
... i was a "big guy" my whole life and changed that last year.  took up running, exercising, and eating right. have lost a bunch of weight and feel good...
My hats off to Brad and anyone else who has made these sort of changes.

I am lucky - I get to play ice hockey- low impact on the knees but very good for power/aerobic/quickness and about the only team sport you can play that as you get older won't continue to hammer your knees.

On top of that, I lift and hike as much as I can. By the opener I am conditioned by the above and  having already logged many miles in the same country I plan to hunt. Nothing beats being at the same elevation climbing the same pitches you will climb when you hunt.

Staying in shape is a LOT easier if you are having fun doing it. Try to find ways to use what you already like to do to as part of your routine.

Joshua, 52yrs.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by centaur:
I try to stay ahead of the age curve by working out year around....
!!!!
Yes!
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
I live at 6200' and just try to hike and shoot my bow as much as possible.

I'm also pretty strict about only drinking beers brewed at altitude, in the northern Rockies.    :D

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
I'm 53.  My first ever archery elk hunt in the mountains of CO was 2 years ago.  I also had heart surgery done to me the February prior to the September hunt.  I started my preparation that year by just walking daily and by adding to the total distance. I shot immediately following each walk while I was still winded. After a few weeks I added the pack.  At first I carried it mostly empty but gradually got it up to 40 lbs all while walking as much as 8 miles a day and through the hills of this area.  I thought that this was good enough and I was wrong!  What I wasn't prepared for was to be able to walk over all of the fallen timber both up and down the mountain.  The very first day I twisted my knee bad enough that it took me a few extra hours to walk out that night and prevented me from hunting at all the next day.  So, what would I now do in addition to the hiking with a loaded pack and shooting, I now bike ride, do squats and more core type work.  That additional work has prevented injuries to-date.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©