3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking into a bicycle  (Read 452 times)

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking into a bicycle
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
Hey Guys,

I know this has been covered a couple times and I did overview the posts on hunting with mountain bikes.  My question is what are some basics that I should look for specifically when I'm shopping for my new bike?  The available brands in this area are Giant, Specialized, and Schwinn.  Are there special features I should look for that will make the bike better for hunting?

I'm looking at about a $500 budget and want the bike to work for hunting and normal casual riding.  I have looked through Craigslist, etc and the prices asked in my area I might as well just buy a new one.  So if anyone could help me out with some tips of what to look for and ask at the bike shop I would appreciate.  Thank you!

Pat
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking into a bicycle
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
I hate to tell you, but if you are looking at Giant, Specialized, Trek and Cannondale then expect to pay what you are seeing out there. These bikes have dependable components, which is why most are up in that price range.  Hence, you could buy a cheaper bike...and that is what you will get...broken junk.

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rick Richard:
I hate to tell you, but if you are looking at Giant, Specialized, Trek and Cannondale then expect to pay what you are seeing out there. These bikes have dependable components, which is why most are up in that price range.  Hence, you could buy a cheaper bike...and that is what you will get...broken junk.
Rick- I have no problems spending the money on a good one.  As I mentioned I have about a $500 budget to spend. I was just trying to say that I've looked through Craigslist for a deal and it would just be worth my while to buy a new bicycle.  I am looking for some guidance about specific features, what to look for, what to avoid kind of a thing.

Pat
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
If you are riding off road, definitely get a mountain bike over a hybrid. Fatter tires and tougher wheels will take a pounding much better. Disc brakes are much better than the old style caliper brakes. Get fitted by a pro bike shop, you will thank them when the miles pile up. Mountain biking is a fun way to keep in shape and cover some ground lots faster than you can walk or run.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
It's the components that make the better bikes and for hunting a good suspension is a must as most trails are rough to nonexisent. As for finding one in your price range, it's much like finding the right bow, patience and keep checking the classifieds.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Like centaur mentioned stay with a mountain bike with the fat tires, if it is in your budget try for the disc brakes, but cantilever brakes work well too.  If it strictly to be used for hunting, handlebars with a stem that would let you sit more erect would be better.  And, most important get one that fits you with a comfortable seat.

By the way, I use a bicycle when I hunt near Joliet Il.

Offline Adrian Farmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Pat:

I spend the non-hunting season cycling, so I have a litle experience.  First of all, as a rule-of-thumb, I recommend that people spend at least $1000 for an adult bike (i.e., not for a child), otherwise they will be disappointed with the quality of components, wheels, and overall quality of the bike.  With a budget of $500, you are looking for a used bike, or last year's model that has been marked down (between now and let's say March may be a good time to find a good buy on last year's model).  The brands that you mention are all top brands, so you're OK there.

I am not sure what features you will need for a "hunting bike"-depends on the terrian you hunt on and what you plan to carry.  A couple of ideas though:

1.  Think about getting suspension (shocks) on the front but not the rear (a "hard tail" Mt bike). A hard tail will be much easier for mounting racks, pulling a trailer, etc.
2. Get disc brakes - they perfom much better when things get wet and muddy.
3. Get a bike with rear rack mounts, if possible, although this is not all that important because most good racks come with mounting hardware that will work with any bike.
4. Bikes with two wheel sizes available, 26" and 29".  I have bikes with both wheel sizes and I would recommend the 29" bike, which rolls over terrain much more easily and faster.  The downside is that a 29" bike may not be quite as nimble on steep, rocky terrain.  Try to test ride both sizes if possible.

My experience helping friends buying a bike is this-if your are in doubt between two bikes with different a quality level and price, then buy the more expensive, higher quality bike.  Otherwise you may be disappointed and end up getting a second, better bike later.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."--A. Einstein

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
When I lived and hunted in Fl. I used a bike everyday and hunted just about everyday. I camped in a tent in the public land campsite and lived up there from Sept. through first part of Jan.

It was about a 6 mile bike ride to the area I hunted and that was crossing two creeks about mid tire depth, through hog root'n, old tram, trails, sand and woods roads.

I just left my bike in the woods every night to keep from having to load it up. My point in all this is that I couldn't get one to last much more than a couple of yrs. at the most, so I just bought cheap mountain bikes from Walmart and then ordered the good components I liked. Such as a big seat with shock absorber in the stem, handle bars that would reach way  back so I didn't have to lean way foreword, a rack for the back to haul climbers, good bow and gun rack for handle bars and a handle bar basket. When my bikes wore out I'd just take the good components off and put them on my new $50 dollar bike. I figured about $25 a yr for a bike wasn't so bad.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
Stick with Shimano LX, XT, SLX or XTR components, SRAM 7.0 or above if you go that route.

Seriously, it will pay off to get older versions of these components than to buy newer junk.

You can easily find solid bikes on Craigslist with those sets. Just be sure to ride and look it over well.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
I have spent a lot of time on a bike as well and you definitely get what you pay for.  You can purchase a pretty decent bike for 500 and always upgrade certain components later.  As Adrian stated front suspension is great, rear suspension is a gimmick in all but the highest level of competition bikes so go with a hardtail.  I dont expect you are looking for performance, more for reliability. Nashbar has a great catalogue and they sell some pretty nice house brand bikes for reasonable prices with good components. Pm me if you need any further help.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
For hunting, mountain bike only no cross type bike, take the 2" wide tires. I have sold some bikes on craiglist and bought one. I picked up a Specialized mountain bike for 80 bucks, put two new tires on and it's good to go. Same as anything I would not leave a decent bike in the woods while hunting, by something cheap. Trek, Specialized the older ones are just heavier

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
Adrian has some very good points above. I've got $3,500 into my road bike and fit is so key if you're going to spend a lot of time on a bike!!! I would definately watch for a discounted bike at a shop if you can find a few in your area (Chicago should have lot's of shops).  Perhaps look to see if there's a cycling club in your area and get the word out there that you're looking.  One of the big shops in my area sells used bikes, so that's certainly an option once you have some potential bikes in mind.  The comment on components above is valid-they'll hold up longer and be less troublesome on rides. Get the larger mountain bike tires, but don't be afraid to look at the tires with a smoother style tread in the middle and knobby on the edges. If you're riding two track roads that are firm, the easier rolling from middle tread will keep the tire from making it a rough ride. Finally, when you do start riding, it's better to spin your legs in a lower gear than to push a hard gear (it may seem like it's taking more energy and you aren't going as fast), but it will save wear and tear on your knees.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
You want lots of gears with an emphasis on the low end.  A way to pull a trailer like is used to pull the kids is handy for gear.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
Bikes are like bows.  Sure, it's possible to overspend, but generally, there are more regrets among those who underspend...

...Unless you know what you're doing and can pull off some kind of a sweet deal on Craigslist or at a pawn shop.  

I personally would say that you probably don't need shocks on the front OR the rear.  Get a seatpost with suspension in it, and your riding comfort level will be improved.  But, by all means, avoid the bargain bikes if you can.  There's a world of difference between what you would get from a real bike-shop bike and what you would get from Wal-Mart or Target.  And it's true, today's bicycles are all about the components that they are fitted with (brakes, derailleurs, etc.).

I ride my mountain bike A LOT.  To work and back (17 miles)...  Out hunting...  Goofing around off road...  To the store for a gallon of milk...  I tried to convince my wife to get a good bike, but when she wanted one, she decided to save money and buy the best bike Wal-Mart had to offer.  Within a week, she hated it, and hardly ever rides it as a result.  It was a complete waste of money.  Yet, she loves riding my Gary Fisher bike, even though it's way too big for her.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
The best mountain bike I ever owned was a Trek Elk. I have tried ones with the shock absorber seats and front forks and find them very uncomfortable to ride. I like a good fixed frame bike,wide tires and thumb shifting(not handle shifting types).Take into consideration of the area you plan to hunt and weather on not you have to worry about theft(where you decide to ditch the bike for the final walk in) while hunting.You may not be able to modify one of the expensive bikes to do what you want and hold a bow rack.start cheep and work out the kinks.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Good advise from all above......take your time looking and buy the best you can afford. I bought a bottom end but good quality bike 10-12 years ago for $500+, good stuff was $1500+ or more. Now you can get much better than I got for $500. Enjoy!!   :thumbsup:   You also have to think how you can carry your bow and gear....you are planning to use this to hunt?
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ron Bushong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Pat - PM sent with a link that might be of interest to you.  Good luck.

RB

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron Bushong:
Pat - PM sent with a link that might be of interest to you.  Good luck.

RB
I would be interested in the link as well.  I'm planning on getting my wife and I one this spring, mine is for hunting purposes, and her's is for pleasure.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Do you ever get to Northern Mi. I have a Specialized Hardrock, I would make you a heck of a deal on. It is a hard tail. Great bike. I bought a new 29"er to race with last year.. I am driving to Southern Mi in a week or so. Thank you
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »
Keep in mind when you harvest an animal you will make to trips out, one with the animal and one for the bike.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©