3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad bows not good enough?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad bows not good enough?
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
Snuffer SS I guess I've done the impossible!

haha

BRITTMAN   This is what I have to say to the guy , yeah pull up the threads where Pat B was killing Big Hogs with his 45 lbs Mohawk and send them to the guy .  - LOL i think i will! I might just send him this thread

YUP! exactly my thoughts everyone. i was so shocked when i read what he said. usually people who dont shoot traditional equipment are just curious about it or kind of give you the "yeah have fun with that" look but this guy was really vocal against it.

I entirely believe that, as you have all said, it's about shot placement. i have a hard time swallowing the 6 year Tejon statistic.... REALLY??

I'll do my best to get a hog and "educate" him on the effectiveness of the stick and string. Once again, I'm not mad or anything close to it, just a  little shocked.
Semper Fidelis

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
Can't say I've run across many pro shops that had what I'd call pros working in them.    :dunno:
Sounds like the type of guy who would have no problem losing a few with a fast compound...
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
This is a good example of: The less some people know about a subject, the more they think they know.

Poor guy.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
ask ray hammond how many kills he has seen with trad equ.I would not even go with the guy.If he dose not want you shooting trad equ.then you may not get a fair shake from the guy.

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
I went on a elk hunt with a bunch of wheel bow friends, I had a guide tell me straight up that he did not think I could kill an elk with the bow I was using. Man, I sure wnated to get a shot on that hunt and prove him wrong. It did not happen but I KNOW I could have easily killed an elk with my bow. Some people are just ignorant.

On my first trip to Africa my PH did not know a thing about trad gear. After I killed my first warthog with my longbow I told him I had another bow I wanted to try to shoot one with. I pulled out my selfbow and went to practicing. He was watching and walked up to me and told me he did not think my bow would have enough umph to kill a warthog. I told him that was not right and that as long as I made a good shot I knew I could kill a warthog with my selfbow. That afternoon, right at dark, I made a great shot on a medium sized warthog. The pig only went about 80yds and was dead as a hammer.The PH never doubted the ability of my equipment after that hunt.

Bisch

Bisch

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
HOG WASH, pun intended!
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
Complete and total ignorance.  Might be a little self interest mixed in there, too.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sequoia:
And i think this gentleman is trying to give me sound advice. I have just seen so many cases to the contrary on this site.
Why did you ask the original question.  It appears as though you've already got your mind set based on your answer above.  If you can't shoot your recurve accurately enough to get a clean kill shot, don't take it along.  If the man giving the answer has seen animals lost with a fast compound, then maybe the answer to your question is don't take a bow at all.  Or maybe you should just stay home.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
Pro shop guy, don't worry with his opionion, but if the ranch or guides give you the same line...now that would be a different story.

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
wtpops, thanks for the picture, i'll send that to him since he specifically mentioned Tejon ranch. LOL i just couldnt believe what i was hearing.

WildmanSC -   Why did you ask the original question. It appears as though you've already got your mind set based on your answer above.  - not sure what you're getting at.
I have complete confidence in myself with my weapon of choice, my 60# Predator hunter. When i said that, "i think the guy is trying to give me sound advice," I truly believe that HE doesn't think trad equipment can do the job.

I am quite in the opposite camp and know from what I've seen on here that he is dead wrong. i posted on here not to validate my own opinion but rather to share with my trad buddies the shock i felt when reading this. its completely absurd!! hope that clears it up.

Anyways hope you guys got a chuckle out of this too. I'll try to show him the light
Semper Fidelis

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
The guy is a "pro" his job description is to sell wheel bows. That's his idea of how to do his job.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Sequoia, out of curiosity, how old was this fellow?
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »
I've only had email correspondence but i'd say 50's
Semper Fidelis

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
I replied in as respectful a manner as possible. I see reputable conduct as fitting for any traditional archer or any grown man for that matter.

Mr.X,
I appreciate your concern and I do agree that traditional equipment delivers far less arrow velocity than really any compound on the market. However, I disagree that my recurve is any less efficient at killing than a compound or a  bullet from a rifle for that matter. You see, I have always been taught that shot placement is the key, not arrow velocity.

It has been proven thousands of times over that a recurve or longbow is quite capable of killing even the largest of game. With a sharp broadhead and a good shot there is no game animal that will not go down.
I do also agree that it will be far more difficult to get in close enough for a kill, but for me that is the thrill.

I have complete confidence in my set up. I promise to myself to only take shots that I know I can make. By studying hog anatomy and practicing continually, I hope to prove you wrong!

This is a picture of a friend on Tejon Ranch. 20yds with a BW recurve

-

Very respectfully,

S.G. Mandrayar
MIDN       USN

Semper Fidelis

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sequoia:

he responded,      
"I would strongly suggest you NOT use a recurve; the energy is insufficient to provide a good pass-through shot with a big broadhead and lost animals are highly possible.  I spoke to the man who set up and ran the archery program on Tejon Ranch for six years and he saw NO animals recovered shot with either a longbow or recurve.  This open country with thick brush patches and private land adjacent makes recovering a hog difficult or impossible if they don't go down right away.  I've lost animals with a fast compound."
what do you guys have to say?? [/QB]
"[dntthnk]"    "[dntthnk]"
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
Don't tell any of the (heaven knows how many) hogs RC has killed with longbows.  They might try to get up and run off, if they heard any such expert opinions.  :laughing:    :laughing:
Molon labe

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
Sounds like that dude is from back in the day when our bowhunting founding fathers had to prove to everyone that archery gear indeed was, and still is, a very effective means by which to quickly and humanely kill game animals.

Jeez, the nerve of that guy. Typical "archery" pro shop ignorance.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
People only know what they know. He is limited by his experience like we all are. Send him the link to the pig threads on this site and will open his eyes.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
I don't see why everyone is so hard on this guys comments, a broadhead through the lungs from a fast compound is obviously deadlier than a broadhead through the lungs with a stickbow...I thought we all knew that    :confused:    :D    :laughing:
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©