3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad bows not good enough?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad bows not good enough?
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
That does it, I'm trashing my bows. Wish I had known how ineffective they were before investing all those years in money and practice.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Possum Head:
That does it, I'm trashing my bows. Wish I had known how ineffective they were before investing all those years in money and practice.
:biglaugh:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Mac11700

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Well...this Pro Shop guy...really doesn't have a clue...If you trying for that particular ranch...why not call the ranch and talk to the folks there...after all..it's their land you will be hunting on..See what they say..then show that response to that so called "Pro Shop employee".

Mac

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
I would start sending him pics of those huge hogs that Pat and some of the other guys have taken with trad gear.This clown obviously has a closed mind when it comes to Trad gear.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline wc kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
I know that pigs have a big plate that covers the vitals, trad bows have killed bigger meaner animals than hogs. That guy has a poor way of trying to sell a compound that will wound them just as easily.

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
You need to send him a copy of Buff's video of him shooting a cape buffalo with his recurve. 75yd recovery. That might open his eyes a little.

Here is a link to a thread with a link to the video:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=27;t=000269

Bisch

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Sounds like the "pro staff" at our local shop. I'm amazed at the crap I hear some of these guys rattle off as gospel.
 Fortunatley, we have a crew of traditional guys in my area who go out of their way to help newcomers to the sport.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
Guys just dont know or understand. they are brought up and grew up around the modern compound witch is advancing by leaps and bounds. our gear would seem to be insufficient. just like alot of folks on hear rant about the wheelie things and gadgets about there equipment, just don't don't know either. alot more to it than that and that's what some guys like. to each there own. only thing i would suggest when talk about it, is to not be pushy and treat them as a student and help them discover what its all about.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
I have saw just the oppisite....MANY pigs that were hit by a light weight, souped up tooth pick out of a compound , and never recovered......I have also seen pigs lost to traditional gear....it's more the driver and their knowledge of how to put it in the boiler room....go some where else and shake this guys dust from your feet....
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline jim ratcliff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
guess hes got us there...the pre-historic man,indians,etc. never used primitive weapons to take animals!
well....let's go let the air out'a one!

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
The guy was probably hoping to sell you a new compound and drop away rest and peep and sight and silencers and release and stabilizer and lighted nocks and expandable broad heads and and range finder and........well you get the picture.   :rolleyes:
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
I have people tell me that stuff all the time.  The truth is far more animals have been killed and recovered with primative and traditional gear than compounds.  (They've been around alot longer)  If he thinks no animal has ever been recovered with a lognbow or recurve then everyone would have starved before compounds came along.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
No use wippin a dead horse.Get a new guide.Obviusly the guy never saw MEN like Fred Bear,Howard Hill and Mr.Art Young.Its kind of laughable really.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Went to the PA Sport and Outdoor show today in our state capital.

BAss Pro has free parking and free shuttle where the "complex" charges $8 to park and ride a shuttle.

Sitting on the bus, a "shooting pro" for X cross bow company, a sales guy from Bass Pro, sat a few rows behind me touting the cross bow...

"It can effectively kill moose out to 60 yards and with "Y" expandable heads, blow thru any deer at 40 yards."

I'm now starting to rock back and forth in my bus seat biting my tongue.

Then he launches into hsi favorite expandable but doesn't like the "cut on impact" head some have as it bends but the trocar point will blow right through ribs and shoulder blades on impact from this "powerful" X bow!

By them my Gang buddy and friend was in near snot flying hysterics as I'm in full rocking chant mode doing low guttaral OHHHMMMMMMMM to keep from rising up from my seat and letting a verbal barage loose on the miscreant with a few well pointed facts.

Alas, it was a short enough ride I maintained control...after all, there are numverous folks in life who refuse to be confused by facts!

:knothead:    :mad:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Why don't you print out the latest 'big hog' thread with all the pics n proof....and sent if to him?
James Kerr

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
I don't think sending a pro shop guide anything will change his opinion. We would all tend to want to play the an almost evangelical part in spreading the word about trad archery, but when dealing with someone that should already know better, it is better to just toss him and his opinions into the too stupid to deal with bucket and go on.

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
I just love "big experts". Tell him to watch "Glory Hogs II" and then to stow his balderdash.....

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
I've killed more, and bigger stuff with my stickbows than in my compound days.  To say my friends are now believers is an understatement.  It's a lot harder to knock it once you've seen it.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
This kind of reminds me of a time my two brothers and I entered a "pro shop" in another state while returning home from a hunting trip. When the man behind the counter found out we had been hunting without sights... he went ballistic on us.

He ranted on and on about how we wouldn't go into the woods without sights on our rifles and that we had no respect for the game animals...

He actually got nasty... we just smiled and headed on home... we had deer to process.  :D
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2012, 10:54:00 AM »
I just killed a hog in California this last fall with a recurve with a 4 yard recovery. This was a 140 lbs field dressed.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©