3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad bows not good enough?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad bows not good enough?
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
One thing I like about this site is that you know without a doubt the people giving you advice or sharing their opinion have actually done or witnessed what they are expressing. Every year that goes by, I get a little more intolerant of those who base their opinions off of an article in a advertising-funded magazine or "what their uncle said" and regurgitating information like an expert rather than putting effort into searching for the truth. I had a similar experience when I told someone I wanted to catch striped bass on a fly rod...the reaction?...."you can't catch them stripers on a trout pole!"...Ignorance is bliss and so on...just take your money and business somewhere else and good luck!
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Not sure I'd want to hunt with a guide that bad at tracking anyway.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
I went to Cabelas after Solana to get some new arrows to set up.  I asked to see their Easton spine chart and the girl that runs their archery dept said she didn't have one but she could help. She asked "What poundage?".  I said 50-55.  She then asked what weight head.  I said 175 Gr and from a recurve.  She said, "You might want to consider a lighter head, shooting that from a recurve will make your arrows just fall out of the sky. You won't be able to kill a pig with that."

I said, "Well, I just spent 5 days with a bunch of guys shooting recurves and longbows.  So, I'll have to defer to Izzy since he shot two big hogs with a 47# longbow and 180 grain head and the last time I checked those hogs were killed graveyard dead."  She just looked at me in disbelief and I left.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
I would go ahead and take your trad bow.  It's not really a 'bow' thing...it's more about kinetic energy.  A trad bow has plenty of KE to effectively take a hog...and as you know...many guys here have done just that.  He's just an educated 'pro shop' owner trying to push his view on you.
>>>--------->

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by roknjs:
I went to Cabelas after Solana to get some new arrows to set up.  I asked to see their Easton spine chart and the girl that runs their archery dept said she didn't have one but she could help. She asked "What poundage?".  I said 50-55.  She then asked what weight head.  I said 175 Gr and from a recurve.  She said, "You might want to consider a lighter head, shooting that from a recurve will make your arrows just fall out of the sky. You won't be able to kill a pig with that."

Had a similar experience at another big box chain last week. The person was definitely knowledgeable when it came to compound equipment, but when I was asking for some advice on a particular make/model of shaft, the look on her face when I told her I shoot a 275 gr. head was priceless. She just went blank, like she had never heard of such a thing in her life. And when I asked if they carried 100 gr. brass inserts, I may as well have asked her in what aisle I would find the beluga caviar.

Oh well. It's not surprising. We represent a very small part of the market. But that's why I don't usually bother with buying anything in those places.

« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
It is almost like some compound company is spreading disinformation and they are just repeating it without thinking, like news readers do.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©