3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How good are you?  (Read 921 times)

Offline bowhunterdave

• Trad Bowhunter
How good are you?
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
I do alot of hunting with a bow and when I shot compound I shot at least a few times a week, year round, dozens of arrows at distances out to 70 yards. I killed alot of deer in a 5 year window and just about burnt myself out. I quit using guns because shooting deer was so easy already. When bordom took over I decided to try traditional.
 I bought and sold half a dozen recurve bows over the last six years before finding the one I have now. I shoot this bow with POC arrows and Grizzlys or Blunts depending on game. When I shot with a compound, it was like shooting a gun and you needed light to see the sights. When I hunt with my recurve, I never see the arrow, just the target.This feels so much more natural for me.
 The hardest part for me is knowing my limits on yardages, but getting inside 20 yards on a buck is worth it!
 Anyway, I shot for years before hunting with it because I felt I wasnt good enough. I still have doubts and have issues with shooting at "The Deer" instead of picking a spot.
 On a recent Squirrel trip I posted about,  I Took my limit of five Grays in 3 hours with only 4 misses. Now I think I should be shooting better, but others say its ok because Squirrels are so small. I think It was ok shooting but I expect more of myself. I dont shoot up in a tree, so I only take strait on or ground shots 20 yards and under.
 I am interested in how good are you? How much do you miss?
BHD
Martin Hunter 70#@28"

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How good are you?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
The proof is in the puddin' as they say. You shot a limit of squirels with a tradbow. Who cares about the misses!  :)
Member NCBA

Offline bowhunterdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
I hear ya, I just wanna know how far to push myself sometimes. Thanks!!
Martin Hunter 70#@28"

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
I'm never as good as I want to be, that is part of the journey...  Hopefully I never become satisfied with my shooting.  Keeps a guy hungry...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
I think you are doing something right... I would say that if you harvested them at 5 yards, it is good... and if these shots were like 15 20 yards, your doing great! just my 2 cents

Offline caihlen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Not good enough.  Ever.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
I don't know how to answer your question exactly. How good am I? I feel comfortable with my ability and never take a shot at an animal unless the thoughts in my head are telling me it is a sure thing (of course, it is not always a sure thing but that is what is in my head as I take a shot at an animal). I shoot a ton of 3D and practice nearly every day. I know for a fact that I am not as good as I can be and am every day striving to get better. I still miss here and there, I still look at the whole animal once in a while insted of picking my spot the way I know I need to in the heat of the moment.

I will tell you this: Only you can decide when you are ready. Thereis more to it then just shooting well. There is a focus and a frame of mind that must be achieved to be "good enough" for the hunt. If you feel you are ready then go hunt. If something does not feel right when it comes time for a shot, then do not take a shot. I have passed more than a few shot opportunites because it just did not feel right.

Good luck and i hope to see your pic in the Highlights forum soon!

Bisch

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
I feel like Im a good shot but I miss critters sometimes, 3Ds too. I know a whole lot of fellers that are better than me but I keep myself having fun.
       I dont think Ill get much better, think Ive maxxed out to my abbilities but Im loving life so much with a bow in hand right now and its good enough for me.

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
I never get tired of pushing myself to be be better! Thats half the fun to me!! I'm not the best, and if I could go get my limit in tree rats in one outing I would feel like the best!lol
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
5 Grays with a bow in a day,,,,,,your doing just fine, continue!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
I can usually hit what I am looking at. I do have those bad days still though where it seems my shooting goes to H*** but usually I just stop shooting if I am having one of those days and go back out the next day and am usually right back on target.
James Kerr

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
It takes - what - an hour to learn how to shoot a trad bow and a life time to learn how to shoot it better. It is a journey not a destination.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
last summer was my first time bowfishing, now this is bowfishing... lol but i bet i shot 50-70 shots and did get a 1!!!! i know its terrible. rabbits i seem to always get and squirrels i never hit. but darn it if i take a rip at that clump of dirt, stump, or dandelion in the yard i center punch it! i really have trouble keeping it together on big game. i think its from lack of opportunities i have had. just dont get the experience shooting deer.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
How good am I????????? I am fantastic, I even amaze myself at times. LOL.........Are we having fun yet

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
Not good enough  :)
Thats what keeps it interesting ...
I find I'm a better archer than hunter, and I find that is the harder part in my case. Not so much the shot, but the process leading up to it  :)
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 01:55:00 AM »
A limit of brushy tails is doing good. I have been shooting a bow for 47 years now, most of  the time I hit what I aim at, sometimes I miss. Just part of life, just have fun with it and don't worry about missing so much.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 02:38:00 AM »
I got 2 freezers, both full of Elk and Hogs. If I kill a Hog next week I have a serious problem.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 02:46:00 AM »
I have been shooting for almost 40 yrs. and at my best i never thought i was good enough.And now,well ill never be as good as i once was.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 02:48:00 AM »
Bjorn,thats not a problem,thats a blessing!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 04:13:00 AM »
What James said.  :thumbsup:    :biglaugh:  If it was real easy most would not do it.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©