3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So... I ordered a Young Feather Burner!  (Read 306 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
So... I ordered a Young Feather Burner!
« on: February 07, 2012, 03:39:00 AM »
Yep... been keen on one for years as I want more of a personal feather shape than what is on offer. Hence an order through Kustom King.

I am worried about burning the sealant on my shafts when using the burning. So have you guys got any tips for a newbie please?

I have read somewhere one must turn the shaft fast... then I read one must use it slow....?

Cheers,

al.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline deadeyed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: So... I ordered a Young Feather Burner!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:29:00 AM »
I dont born all the way to the bottom. I trim about 1/16 with clippers. I use wraps and i have had them lift up on me when i go all the way down.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:50:00 AM »
I set the "hot wire" so it clears the quill of the feather then trim with a #11 xacto blade.
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »
Above tips are good ones. Also as for the turning. I have to turn it slow, otherwise I get a ragged edge. I also like to turn the shaft so the feather is coming up from the bottom of the wire. This allows the part of the feather you want to remove to fall away from the whole process. I tried it the other way first time and the part to remove flamed up a bit and fell back onto my good fletching and scorched it.. Just turn it from the bottom up and you will be fine.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
Flinttim ,
Good comment!
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
Here is a little hint, if you lightly blow on the feather/ribbon as you burn each feather you won't have any flaming pieces it also gives a crisper edge, with not as much ragged melting of the feather.

Pat
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
I've been using a burner for over 15 years.After a little while residue gets built up on the ribbon and then doesn't cut as clean.I just change my ribbon then.Or just clean it with alittle steel wool.Like said burn it just above the quill.I was burning some feathers years ago on wood arrows with gasket lacquer,got to close and the lacquer light up like a match.A learning experience!

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
Oh baby... nothing like the smell of burning feathers!!!  Just don't do it inside if you're hitched... it might just be the undoing... Ha!

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Guess that's why I go outside on the porch!!  :deadhorse:
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
Go slow. If you rotate it thru too fast the wire may flip back down into the shaft and burn your wrap or crest.  As Flinttim said, rotate from bottom up.  Also, be conscious of the degree of helical.  You'll need to set the wire at the right angle to give you the right shape burn.  I spend a lot of time getting the angle just right and can burn just about any shape without having to trim after and w/o burning my crest wrap.

My wife hates the smell but I refuse to go outside in the cold to burn em.   :)   Just open some windows and spray some febreeze after.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
got mine last friday.. There is a little bit of a learing curve but after a few shafts,You will have it figured out. After you get it set cold, plug it in and use a old shaft to check clearence. After it gets hot it expands a little.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
Woooooooo.Weeeeeeeee!!! They work but will run off the Neighbors!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
When you shape your ribbon remember that when it gets hot it will sag down. Make up an old arrow with full length feather and use it as a practice shaft. to make sure its set good then you burn the good ones.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
I cut a real thin pieces of tin,1/2 wide and bend around the shaft(I used beer can tin),now the ribbon rests on the tin and stops any scorching.being doing that for 25 years,PS burn outside!LOL
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Blacky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
If you want to really make sure you're not burning the clear coat, paint etc. you can put a strip of double sided tape on a plain aluminum or carbon shaft. Place the shaft in your fletching jig, insert the feather into the clamp and press onto the tape. Take clamp off and burn the feather. Now you can take the feather off the tape and you can use it on your preffered arrow.

and yup, burn the feathers outside.

Blacky
Shoot straight and keep'em sharp

Blacky

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Can't you just wrap a small piece of aluminum foil at the ends of the feathers on the shaft to protect the shaft from burning?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
I haven't gone to those lengths, but it just might work, snag.

I get a residue on the shafts, put down by the smoke, but it wipes off with a bit of water. The wire will expand when hot, but you will learn to anticipate that and adjust it out from the shaft a little.

Working outside means that cold air and/or wind will remove heat from the wire. You may wish to use a windbreak to keep the wire as hot as possible. A real hot wire burns quickly and cleanly.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
Wow, I've been thinking of getting one of these.  You folks have given a bunch of outstanding tips.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
ive had good luck with mine. slow or fast imo does not matter, just let the ribbon get good and hot (it dont take long) before you start tunning. i installed a switch on the cord for mine. i turn it off between each shaft. happy burning
Kevin Day

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
All good tips (I like blackey's idea)but it's not really necessary after you've had some practice. Like anything else, there's a "learning curve". Don't practice with the "good" stuff right off. I've been using a Young feather burner for many years,and love the many shapes you can achieve with it. Once you get comfortable with it, problems will hardly ever come-up.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©