3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Predator call suggestions for nightime bowhunting  (Read 126 times)

Offline captain caveman

• Trad Bowhunter
Predator call suggestions for nightime bowhunting
« on: February 07, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
Ok my bow is set up with light ready to start hunting at night. Don't want to be carrying a retro 80's jam box with me into the hills to call predators.  Anyone tried the iPhone predator calling apps?  If so which one?  Any success with one?  Any other suggestions for calls?

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Predator call suggestions for nightime bowhunting
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
If you are hunting farm country, I have found nightime hunting near outbuildings is VERY effective with a distressed housecat call.

I dont know about i-phone apps, but I have a Johnny Stewart digital recording and it works good.

Good luck with the bow, I have found called coyotes in Michigan to be faster than an arrow.
You gotta shoot where their gonna be...not where they are.  :thumbsup:

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
I would get a cottontail rabbit distress call whether open read 9reccomended) or closed reed, and practice with it. They are very versitle, especially the open reads, with practice you can make all kinds of different distress sounds. There are lots of production calls in most hunting stores, but i think the "custom" calls made by call makers are THE best value and performance, and most of the time they are the same price or cheaper. if interested send me a PM and ill give you email addresses for some great call makers.

As to the IPhone aps, i dont know, but i would guess they are not very loud? I would invest in a Ecaller if you dont want to hand call, that way you would be handsfree to be ready with your bow for any takers.

The Foxpro spitfire is an economical well made call that holds plenty of sounds and would serve you well. The higher priced calls just have more features that may or may not be needed, that can only be determined by the user, personally i thinks some features are nice but not neccesary.

Good luck
Fin
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline don_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
X2 on the spitfire, great economical electronic caller. Well I guess economical is debatable, but probably cheaper then an iPhone anyways.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
I bought a used Foxpro for $75.00 it's the basic model with I think 9 different sounds. The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have the remote.

Quality in a small package!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©