3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: R U Content Or.......Do You Like to Play Around?!  (Read 796 times)

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: R U Content Or.......Do You Like to Play Around?!
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I am so content I even hate to put a new string on my bow!!!!!!!!!

Bisch
That is hilarious!  I REALLY hate to put a new string on!  All that messing with brace height!  :laughing:  Seriously!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
I can't get enough.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 06:18:00 AM »
Accuracy comes from shooting the same set-up, bow, arrow combination over and over.  Each bow has its own character to it and shooting characteristics.  I have been in that cycle of constant change for 5 yrs.  New bows, different arrows, etc.  Talk to people that shoot well and you will see a common thread.  They shoot the same setup year after year. I have shot my best in years past by being "content" and knowing where my bow was going to shoot.  That is all I shot, one bow and arrow setup.  Am I content?  Maybe that is not the right word.  In finding a setup that works, a bow and arrow combination that is appealing to me, and sticking with it, I see that I am having more accurate days than days of frustration.  I am enjoying the discipline of one way of shooting, one method, style, equipment choice.  In bowhunting, confidence is a big key in taking game.  Being so "intune" with your style and equipment that you can shoot out of habit, without   thought on the mechanics, helps greatly with taking game.  Constant change is what has hindered me for many years.  Changing form all the time is not productive to accurate shooting.  Changing bows all the times has the same effect.  Only golfers appear to tinker as much as archers.  I have overthought my equipment and form for years.  Most of the time when a shooting issues arises after we have been shooting well it is a mistake in basic form, a poor habit, not an equipment issue.  But, what if I ....

Nope, I will stick with what I have and resist that urge to tinker.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
Its a lot like golf and anyone who plays will now exactly what im talking about.

You can go out and shoot the best round of your life and still realize there's room for improvement.

Same with a bow no matter how good you get you are always striving to get better.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
I'm content with my equipment. I only want to add a Herway Longbow to my collection since I don't have a longbow.

What I am not content with is my woodsmanship and hunting skill. I need to become more proficient at killing things.

Like a friend told me, "alot of people try to buy skill with all these new bows and stuff, you can't buy skill."

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
My form doesn't change. I work on fine points to make them more subconscious; a relaxed grip and follow through are the two keys to my accuracy.

The only thing common to my equipment set-up from 2010 to 2011 was .... my armguard. I used a different bow, different spine MFX, different weight but same brand broadhead. I even switched from a glove to a tab.

I'm confident I will use the same arrow and broadhead this year. I will also stick to the same tab. Surely I will hunt with a different bow, maybe the one I'm trying out today?  In fact, I suppose I'll hunt with one bow during turkey season and a different one when Deer season comes around.

All my bows are recurves. Their draw weights range from a 44# Super K to a 48# Habu Mamushi that I'm trying out this week.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
I am content with my bow (50# hoyt buffalo) but not my actual arrows.  I've been shooting some 1916's but want heavier carbons.  I'm tired of bending the arrows when pulling out of targets, stumps, the ground, etc....I just need to get my hands on some more carbons and heavier heads.  I was thinking about weight tubes....
>>>--------->

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
If you are pulling your bow to 50#, Arrow Dynamic Trad Lites work real well for me.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
:archer:

To much testing to be done yet  :)
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bow_man_66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
Well I am not content yet, new set up this year. New Centaur bow will need a new set up. But from what I've seen so far just might be with me for a while!!! Was thinking of trying some of the Centaur broad heads too, any input from those who have used them in the past would be appreciated.
May your arrow always fly true and your hunt be an adventure.

Shoot Straight,

Bow_man66

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
I left the tinkering behind 25 years ago when I gave up the compound. I find what works and do not change it.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
I have shot the same setup now for 4 years, and honestly, I will never change! It's what is the most comfortable for me.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
Again...I'm old fashioned. Find what works, stick with it. Why mess with success.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline jon boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
I change all the time, both arrows broadheads.  I keep the total arrow weights close though.  I also change bows more than I should, but all my bows shoot very close to each other.  No problems.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
I am Content with My Equipment, just not too Content with the Human Factors Involved, namely  ME!   :knothead:    :biglaugh:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by dragonheart:
I have one style/discipline of shooting now.  I have played the field for the last 5 yrs.  Way too much money spent on bows, arrows, etc. that could have gone to hunting trips.  In the end, I have returned to the shooting of my youth.  A simple straight end longbow, with thick/narrow limbs, a wedge style grip, wooden arrow, and back quiver.  I have a sense of peace since an acceptance that there is no magic bow and arrow.  The magic is in each of us to develop through dedicated & disciplined practice.
Amen!!

I shoot one bow and I shoot it well. And I know my bow shoots twice as accurate as I do. Time spent  practicing is better than money spent tinkering.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
always playing around with my setup. always shooting a diffrent bow. that way i never get tired of any of them.  :thumbsup:
Kevin Day

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
I'm always playing around, but I have at least a half-dozen bow/arrow combinations I can take off my rack and hunt with complete confidence.  For me, there is no one best.  There are a lot of bests.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Since I first posted on this topic I have decided to get a take down bow. This will be the last bow I buy for a long time. I tend to find something that works for me and stick with it. The only reason I am getting a take down is for it's ease of travelling. Once I have my take down it will take something noticeably different and much improved than anything offered at this time period for me to buy it.
James Kerr

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
I've pretty much got my setup for this year so, the tinkering is over and the practice, practice and practice begins!   :thumbsup:

Oh ya, did I say the practicing begins?   :rolleyes:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©