3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY treestand steps...need ideas.  (Read 358 times)

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
DIY treestand steps...need ideas.
« on: February 07, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
I'm thinking 6-7" coarse thread hex head screws like they have at HDepot which are about .75" thick would work really well. 18V cordless impact wrench and I'm in business. I bought a new Lone Wolf Alpha 2 and those climbing sticks are a great idea but kinda spendy. I'm not in love with just straps holding them on either....
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Re: DIY treestand steps...need ideas.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
why not ...just use screw-in steps?

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
Never used them, are they safe enough? Those Ameristep ones look pretty cheesy.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
Three widows in your rack, and you are worried about the price of LW sticks??? Come-on  cut loose of some of that moldy stuff and enjoy a good set of sticks.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
i think they are plenty safe for normal sized hunters. dont know if there is a weight limit on them or not.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
I guess that's what I'm asking from guys who have experience with them.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
do yourself a favor and find another way to get into your treestand.  screw-in steps (factory or homemade) are VERY, VERY dangerous. sooner or later one WILL fail you. climbing sticks aren't all that expensive and I'm sure your family likes having you around. I speak from experience. after this happened to me I started hearing all sorts of horror stories from step failures. and yes' I NEVER thought it would happen to me.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
I was VERY fortunate, I was using the folding variety treesteps this past year. After the season was over I was pulling my treestands and broke 2 of the steps. Folding steps-Never Again. What I'll go with this year is either the E-Z climb strap on or buy myself some good quality climbing sticks. I spend most of my time hunting alone and I hate the thought of putting my family through a treestand accident.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by sswv:
do yourself a favor and find another way to get into your treestand.  screw-in steps (factory or homemade) are VERY, VERY dangerous. sooner or later one WILL fail you. climbing sticks aren't all that expensive and I'm sure your family likes having you around. I speak from experience. after this happened to me I started hearing all sorts of horror stories from step failures. and yes' I NEVER thought it would happen to me.

did the steps brak or pull out??

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
The climbing sticks are great. You'll figure out a routine that works for you and they are quite fast. Use of a linesman's belt speeds hings up greatly.

They are easier on trees too. Screw in steps damage and can kill trees. The right tree in the righ spot is a resource to be treasured and protected!! As much as I move around, I'd be injuring a whole lot of trees.  I've also had screw in steps break on me.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
I think the beauty of the LW sticks is the fact that they put the bolt in double shear with no side load to the thread in the tube.. (Unlike some other systems)

I am 6'3" and 250# never had a problem with them or screw in steps..
I have seen some folding steps I would not use, but the ones I have had never given me a problem.

You really don't want to leave steps in over the year or the wood may decay around the bolt, other wise I am not sure how they would pull out.

In years past I would make my own steps. I used a piece of 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 3/16 "L" iron.(Hard to find that size,, Bigger is heavier, thinner scares me) Cut them about 1" long, drill a 3/8 hole in one end and attach them with a 5/16 lag bolt..
I used a 3/8" ratchet with a 1/2" 6 point socket for putting them up.. Worked pretty well and I still have some.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
I've used tree-steps and climbing sticks. I've never fallen out of either. Are tree steps safe? That depends if they're installed correctly.

If a tree-stick strap has wear, and gives way when you're fifteen feet up, you're in trouble (and nylon straps aren't invincible and can be vulnerable to UV). sswv shows a graphic example of what happens when you get stuck on a tree step in a fall. Climbing trees and setting tree stands are risky business no matter how you slice it. Either way maintain your equipment, inspect it and use a harness and you'll be OK.

The bottom line is

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
I'v been using screw in steps for years and have never had a problem,then I only weight 150 plus I climb like a monkey (still) even at the young age of 53.I don't take chances though-three point contact at all times,and be extra careful when there wet. If their Icy, don't climb!
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
hey arrow30. the step actually pulled out. as for installing correctly, I "HAD" used them for years without not one problem. the step that pulled out on me was in a whiteoak. I was one of those guys that questioned every time someone had a treestand problem thinking it would never happen to me, guess what....it can happen to you and me at anytime.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
I agree with Jake Diebolt and Knawbone.Ive been using screw ins for years.Have had a couple of close ones and just consider tree hunting a risky,but very effective endeavor.Dont take anything for granted,always proceed with extreme caution.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
Grade 8 bolts and a woodpecker drill.  Google it.

Yes you can use the cordless drill with a measured 3/8" bit and grade 8 bolts from Home Depot.

Tree will heal itself every growing season
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
I've gone completely away from screw in steps of any kind.  Maybe it is different in other parts of the country, but I started noticing that a fairly high percentage of the trees I hunted were dying off eventually.  Usually not the first year or two, but if I had a really good tree that I returned to year after year it became pretty common for the tree to die.

Now I have climbing sticks or ladder stands for all of my set ups.  Lone Wolf is my favorite for ease of set up, and portability.  Just be sure to check the straps for rodent damage each time you climb.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
I've also pretty much gone away form tree steps.  I had a couple break on me a few years ago, and luckily both times were on the bottom step.  That will put a scare in you fast enough!  

When I switched to climbing sticks I used API for several years, then went to Gorilla sticks.  I have large feet and like the size of the platform on the Gorilla sticks.  If I had to carry them with me each time, I would probably use the Lone Wolf or Summit steps.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
Treesteps are a PITB to put in, they damage the trees which landowners don't like and on public lands they are not allowed anyways. I will never use them on lands I don't own, because I don't want to damage the landowners property. The steps do damage the valuable part of the tree. This is different from cutting off a few small limbs to open up a shooting lane. Tree loose smaller limbs by natural causes like storms and the damage is usually minor.
Climbing sticks are very good, if installed correctly and if they're taken down after the season, belts checked for damages and wear. Now, all new belts have expiration dates on a tag on them, so check the expiration dates and replace them if necessary. There are also other systems available than sticks.
If you want to hunt real mobile, use a climber. If you want to discourage theft, remove the first stick and leave the others on. Usually it is quite difficult to be able to get the second stick down. Pretty much forget about the third. Someone have to make a serious effort to steal your setup.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
I'm going to get the 4 pack of LW sticks and be vigilant with the straps and buckles. I weigh 155.  I have a linemans harness at the inlaws farm. I'm looking for a harness system now. I really like the concept of the Rescue One CDS.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©