3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad. dove hunting?  (Read 391 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad. dove hunting?
« on: February 07, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
In my state there are very, limited oppotunities for bird hunting of any kind, except for Doves which are plentiful. Just wondering if any of you have tried it with trad. gear.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad. dove hunting?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Never tried it myself but guys on here say not to use flu-flus as doves are apparently fast enough to dodge them once they hear the fletching
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
I can believe that! Seems like they have sonar when im wingshooting with my old Browning A-5.  :archer2:

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
I know of a guy on another forum that I frequent that kills a few out of the air each year. I love to bowhunt for anything that is legal so I tried it a couple times this year. I have shot pheasant out of the air and feel pretty good about my chances on one of those hunts. I went dove hunting 3 different times with my longbow this year and have yet to come close to endangering the life of a dove. Them suckers are FAST!!!!!!. It has become a challenge now and I will keep trying until I get one. One of the things I learned this year is flu-flus slow the arow down too fast. Next year i will try to find an open grain field where I can shoot regular fletched arrows. I will also try the mojo decoys.

Bisch

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
I cheat. I shoot them off the ground or out of trees.   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline instinctivebowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
i have taken 2 in ten years,  missed  hundreds. We have an archery product specific to small birds. The dove buster it will pluck them out of the air if you can manage to hit one,The DB gives you a little more room for error. I have been trying to kill a quail with it for 7 years, i have missed more than a hundred. ive had hunting partners kill them but i cant seem to get it done, we have a new lightweight 4 wire product geared more towards quail that we are getting ready to put online pretty soon

i prefer to use regular fletch arrows or at least a hybrid feather to increase speed

x2 on bisch with the mojo, the closer the better

moleman, slide over to central il and hunt pheasant with us, check out my site. we have a guided pheasant bowhunt. its cheap if you have a few friends go in on it with you
jeremy

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
Never tried it but imagine it would be a fun challenge.
James Kerr

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Tried shooting them off the ground this year. Didn't kill any but I did give one a pedicure...

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Like Rasta Man, the ground or treed is much more effective. Its fun but not as much as watching your arrow fly within centimeters of hitting one on the wing.

I remember someone posted pics here a while back of some trad doves. We cant hunt them here in NY, theyre a symbol of peace says my governor.    :banghead:

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Dang, I have to shoot a whole box of shells to get enough for a snack.  I'd be one hungry fella with the longbow.

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
I would love to try it....but....the public field where I have my only opportunity to hunt has a dude on a bucket about every 20 yards and it is like WW3. I think "peppering" folks with my arrows would go over well.  :D
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
Tried it one time. I picked a spot in the field that none of the gunners wanted. After about 30 minutes of heavy shooting I heard something behind me and turned to see a conservation officer standing behind me.

His first words were  "what the heck are you doing".

I replied "dove hunting"

I thought he was going to fall down laughing.

Didn't even check to see if I had proper lics. Just walked off laughing.

Troy

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Tried wing shooting dove w/my lb a few times. Tried shooting airborne aspirins also. Now when I think about hunting dove w/my lb, I take an aspirin. Closest I've come to killing either one. Admire folks that can though.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Heck I can barely hit em with a shotgun  :bigsmyl:
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
Later that evening after the field closed I was talking with some of the other hunters (or should I say getting a lot of ribbing from the others) when the same offices came back by.

When he saw me he started laughing again. After finally have his laugh he stated "I was watching the field from a distance when all of a sudden I'd see something yellow go up and come back down. In a few minutes I'd see the yellow go up and come back down again. I had to check it out."

He checked everyone else for dove count and lics, but never checked me. hehehehe!

Troy

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
I have done extensive clay target shooting and dove hunting.  Those birds can mess with a very competent shooter when they get all wound up.  Best thing to do is get a decoy or three. Set up on an area where they are not pressured, and wait on those low and slow birds coming in to set and feed.  Keep hid and draw slow.  I have never bow hunted them, but I have had them float in like a butterfly and land within feet of me.

Now if you just want to go frustrate yourself, try to shoot them in a field full of guns.  They can reverse direction and be 10' away faster than the string leaves your fingers.  You would be better off shooting bats. That I have tried with bow. Fun, but nothing to show for the effort.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
I have killed many doves with my Ruger Red Label longbow, but the thought of doing it with my Bob Lee recurve seems a little futile unless I can catch them napping.

But to the original premise about bird hunting in Indiana, here:

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/USA/Indiana/directory/

Released pheasants are more my speed.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
Only got one but I also cheated ,was sitting in a tree. Im having a hard time getting a crow.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
Iowa's first dove season, i got three off of old telegraph wires of an abandoned rail line while deer hunting, missed a couple that were at about 45 yards out that were passing, by about 15 yards. Got one that was coming straight at me with about a ten yard shot, I think it was planning on landing in the tree branch that was above me. Jumped a few out of a weedy patch in a picked bean field every day for three days straight, missed one shot at them three days in a row, about a foot late every shot.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Troy Breeding:
Tried it one time. I picked a spot in the field that none of the gunners wanted. After about 30 minutes of heavy shooting I heard something behind me and turned to see a conservation officer standing behind me.

His first words were  "what the heck are you doing".

I replied "dove hunting"

I thought he was going to fall down laughing.

Didn't even check to see if I had proper lics. Just walked off laughing.

Troy
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :laughing:    :laughing:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©