3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bleaching skull  (Read 603 times)

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
bleaching skull
« on: February 08, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
I need some help I am bleaching a skull I wraped it in gauze and Iam soaking it in bleach.I was a little low on bleach so by wraping it the gauze wicks up the bleach an keeps everything evenly wet.how long should this take to get it white? thanks ED

Offline Longbeard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bleaching skull
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
Don't use bleach.  It yellows, and deteriorates the skull.  Use 40% Hydrogen Peroxide that you can get at the Beauty Supply stores.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 08:28:00 AM »
I think it was on here last year where a gent used Dawn dishwashing detergent and very slowly boiled his skull as white as snow. He got the skull as clean as possible first, then cooked it once with Dawn, changed the water and repeat. Turned out white as snow. Run a search and see if it was here that I read that ?
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
Woops, I said "Boiled" his skull but he kept it on low heat and never had it boiling per say.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
I use bleach and never had a problem. I pour a gallon of bleach, 1 bottle of Peroxide, and the rest water into a galvinized drum. Just enough to cover the skull. I let in in there for 5 hours rinse it off good and let dry. Comes out perfect every time.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
NO bleach. Bleach will continue to destroy the bone for many many years. Especially if it is exposed to UV. I have worked for man taxidermists and have had to repair lots of bleached skulls.

40% Hydrogen Peroxide, Commonly called Developer at places like Sallys Beauty supple. 8-9 Dollars a gallon.

If the bleach has already soaked in seal the bone with hodge podge or elmers wood rot preventer cut with water. It will help stabilize it.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
My taxidermist soaks the skull in water for a few weeks, then boils for just a couple minutes to remove flesh.  Then he paints on a paste of borax and peroxide.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
Ditto the peroxide. I use a mist bottle also from the beauty supply. Hang in sunlight for a quick job. KEEP OFF THE ANTLERS ! Also while boiling the skull for cleaning , a trip to the car wash makes for easy cleaning. You will need a bath when done.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
A tip for when boiling you can use Borax tide and a little dawn. I add in a little OXI Clean as well.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
It's probably too late now but finding someone w/ beetles to clean it makes the skull look SOOO much better.
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
I just stick it in the woods under the galvinized can for 6 months. Just take it out and rince it off. No UV rays here. All the skulls are in the house. FerretWYO, is that if you use 100 percent bleach? I don't know why but my skulls are fine.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
There is a bug you can buy that will eat it clean. I guess it depends on how many skulls you want to clean over a period of time.

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
I soaked one in bleach one time and it ruined the skull.  It almost turned it into something like chalk, very brittle.  I ended up spraying several coats of sealant on it. That has been many years ago, it is still holding up but it is now yellow and looks like crap.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
wish I had asked before I put it in bleach,the skull is like a potatoe chip an the teeth are falling out all over the dam living room floor.owell live an learn

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
I have learnt the hard way too.  You can get some Baking soda and make a paste or powder it all over the skull, it is suppose to neutralize the bleach (has worked for me).  If it still not white follow some of the thread above with HP or soap. Take a picture and post, looking at it might help analyze what you need to do also.  I have about 8 done like this and 3-4 done the right way.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
Many- teeth will fall out even with beetles-you just glue them back  that is common.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
thanks everyone

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
Don't worry about teeth. Like others soda glue them in. You can use the stuff I mentioned before to stop the flaking.

I am not sure why but most I have seen with beach have that problem. Also that can happen if they are boiled dry as in ran out of water co wring the skull.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 07:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Craig:
I just stick it in the woods under the galvinized can for 6 months. Just take it out and rince it off. No UV rays here. All the skulls are in the house. FerretWYO, is that if you use 100 percent bleach? I don't know why but my skulls are fine.
I am not sure. I have seen people use the 50/50 cut and some are ok. Most are not. I am glad yours are working though.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©