3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog Hunting Florida?  (Read 216 times)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hog Hunting Florida?
« on: February 08, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
I am getting hooked on hog hunting. Can anyone recommend a place in Florida, that has wild hogs that can be still hunted, with no fences.

I may give Florida a try next year. I may be heading down there for two weeks next year and would like to spend a week hunting hogs with my longbow.

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog Hunting Florida?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
Try to contact Tarponut, he might be able to help you out. Most places down here are high fenced. BTW if you do come down make sure you get a hold of me so we can fling some arrows.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
Try Nickie Roth at Archery Outfitters.  He has 1,500 to 2,000 acres in south FL and it's all wild hog.  He uses feeders to keep the hogs on the property, but the hogs definitely are not "grain fed".  There are fences, but they are the usual barbed-wire variety and don't really keep hogs in or out.  His hunts are only on the first weekend of each month.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
I really like nicki roth. Archeryoutfitters.com (I think) His property is near Ft myers.  Lots of wild hogs.....
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
I may be wrong but I don't believe Nickie Roth allow still hunting I think it only stands at feeders. Trad Archers of NJ run a hunt there every year and that is the feedback I have received.  
ALDO
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline deathwind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
Osceola Outfitters with Hoppy Kempfer. I just got back and shot 5 hogs last week. I believe he has something like 30,000 acres. Lots of Hogs.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
Ditto what Deathwind said--I was on that hunt with him.  Free range hogs and lots of territory to roam.  Excellent guys to hunt with.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Yep, call Hoppy.
DonD

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
LOL, I am going to post a sticky thread on the Fl conference about hog hunting in Florida soon!  Y'all are wearing me out!  :thumbsup:    :p    :D
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
Just posted a sticky thread on the Florida conference.

Hog Hunting in Florida is the number 1 inquiry that we get on this conference from out of state hunters so I thought i would feature a thread on the topic.

OK, here goes...I know everybody watches TV and hears stories about hog hunting in Florida and thinks that pigs are thick as thieves down here so here is the skinny. They is and they isn't!

Access is the key and it can be hard to come by. MOST good hog hunting is on private property and despite what you may have heard about nuisance hogs, they are widely viewed as a financial commodity to be taken exploited. Remember this is the SOUTH where the concept of leasing land for hunting is as old as I am.

I am going to break it down in terms of public land hunting and private land hunting.

On public land:
Public land is only open for hog hunting in conjunction with other open seasons. There are very few exceptions to this rule. Public land in Florida is generally in the form of Wildlife Management Areas (WMA). There are 175 WMAs in Florida and the all have their own unique rules and regulations. To explore information concerning public land hunting opportunities, got to myfwc.org and select hunting, then WMA maps or WMA regulations.

On private land:
The best way to assure yourself of a good hog hunting experience is join a lease that is geared towards hog hunting. If that is not a practical consideration, the next best bet is to consider an outfitter that is known for hunting hogs.

I have NEVER PERSONALLY used any of the outfitters that I am about to list, but TBOF members who I respect have.

Archery Outfitters with Nikki Roth (very good to TBOF)

Osceola Outfitters with Hoppy Kempfer (if Don Davis recommends him that is good enough for me).

True South with Jim Dussais (Tarponnut here on tradgang)

There are others I am sure, but this is a good start. If other TBOF members or tradgangers care to add to this list feel free to do so.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©