3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Joebuck's Turkey Hunting Threads?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Joebuck's Turkey Hunting Threads?
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
I just tried searching for some of Joebuck's old turkey hunting threads and having trouble finding them.  I know they are what inpired me to try turkey hunting without a blind.  Does anybody know how to find them?  I'll PM the master himself and see if he can add a link here...
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Joebuck's Turkey Hunting Threads?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Whip, I looked the other day with the same results? Ended up finding some good info from Joey on the PBS site. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
I tried to get him to write a book. He said he wants to do a cook book. go figure.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Whip , you trying research some stuff to stump me at the upcoming Comptons? !   I don't know if I ever had a thread on TG I started or took over about turkey hunting blindness. Most of my advice on here has been maybe just injecting into someone else's thread.    now Whip don't put me on a pedestal here only to watch me fall off in April when we go chase those Nebraska turkeys together! That's going to be an awesome trip. I wish Batman could go again and we could started on that cookbook together... Mississippi Redneck and Carolina Shucker Stirring the Pot.....Duckbutt is pre packing now.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Found two hunts. Brought em up
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by joebuck:
Whip , you trying research some stuff to stump me at the upcoming Comptons? !   I don't know if I ever had a thread on TG I started or took over about turkey hunting blindness. Most of my advice on here has been maybe just injecting into someone else's thread.    now Whip don't put me on a pedestal here only to watch me fall off in April when we go chase those Nebraska turkeys together! That's going to be an awesome trip. I wish Batman could go again and we could started on that cookbook together... Mississippi Redneck and Carolina Shucker Stirring the Pot.....Duckbutt is pre packing now.
No, just trying to pass along the stuff I picked up reading about how you did it.  Had a guy contact me about my bow blind asking how I liked it.  But maybe I will take some notes and see if you're changing your story in Alabama!  :readit:  

For those who didn't know, Joey is going to be the Saturday Night Headline speaker at the Tannehill shoot later this month.  If you haven't heard him do his routine before you better plan on being in Alabama on the 25th of this month!!  "Everything you ever wanted to know about how to kill turkeys without a blind."  

On second thought, maybe I should restate that.
From what I hear, "Everything you ever wanted to know about how to shoot at turkeys without a blind" might be a more accurate statement.  :p
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 05:19:00 AM »
Whip, you gonna have a ball In Nebraska. Bring plenty of arrows and your credit card.  I'll see yall  on the 24th  25th.  Joey's cooking boston butts for everyone.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
thanks Randy, I forgot about unlucky Gobbler thread.  that's pretty much all it with the exception of some gadgets.. :)  I am bring all my props!  Whip I'm putting the Compton seminar together at this moment,  Really excited about opportunity I have been given. Just hope my kids behave during the seminar.

Batman and myself will feed everyone Pull Pork sandwiches Memphis style at our tent until we run out or we eat it all.  Batman bring your vinegar concoction and I'll have my secret sauce.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
I'm learning alot from Joebuck.  Joey is a great teacher.  Thanks Joey!

Good luck guys. I'll be out there trying to get one too!   :thumbsup:  

here's to the stories to come   :coffee:
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
I was at a seminar Joey did in Kzoo a few years back.  One of the best seminars I've ever been to for turkeys.  I also got one of his turkey calls and it is awesome.  Joey has helped me come along way in turkey hunting.

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
Which site is it that has Joey's post about hunting turkeys....i sure would love to read more of his advice!!!

Lance
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
This is about the time I jump on here and spout out how much I taught him about turkey hunting. But alas, he knows so much more and has taught ME so much about it.....it would be a hollow statement at best.

Besides, it's only a bird...........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
I would like to see a pic of the revised version of the blind he uses. I don't like sitting in a blind.
Lets see it...please!

Thanks, Jason

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »
Here is my blind.  Joey's is the same model, but camoflauged differently.  I plan to tweak mine a bit too before this spring.

On the bow with a Waldrop Pac Seat

Here is my attachment on the riser

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 01:04:00 AM »
Now that has got to be about the smartest thing ive seen!

Did yall come up with that?

:archer:
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »
whip, was the shooting of the particular bow alot different with the blind on it? or not really any significant change? I love the idea of hunting without the blind and have tried it only to realize its pretty difficult with turkeys on a consistant bases.Don

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
Wish I could take credit for coming up with that idea.  But they are called Hidden Draw Bow Blinds and are sold online by a company called Innovative Hunter.

I did add the strips of burlap to my blind and I think it really helps to break it up.  From Joey's suggestion, I am going to glue them down on the bottom edge as well so that they can't flop around in the wind.

It does take a little getting used to shooting with it on your bow - at least it did for me.  One problem I had was that upon release my bow arm moves and my sight window small enough that I can't follow the flight of the arrow or see the impact.  But with practice I was still able to hit consistently with it on (at least on targets)
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Whip, i just looked thier site....it says it will fit any type of bow but from the picture it looks like the part that attaches to the upper limb is made wide for a recurve so i am wondering how it would do on a narrow longbow.

Have you found any cons when useing one? And could you increase the sight window a bit for better vision?

And im am having problems finding the forums where Joey has shared his experience with hunting turkeys!!! PBS...Is it the Professional Bowhunters Society?

Thanks!
Lance (newly obsessed with hunting turkeys)
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
Right, PBS is Professional Bowhunters, and they have a similar discussion forum called Cyber Campfire where Joey has done a lot of detailed discussion of his methods.  

Some of the threads around here have been pulled back up in the last couple of days and are well worth reading.  :thumbsup:  

The wires that attach to the top limb can be bent, and I'm sure would work on longbow limbs.  The bottom bracket though does need to be attached somehow.  The bow that I have been using has a stabilizer adapter installed.

I think AMS sells and adapter that can be used for mounting a bowfishing reel on a longbow - I'd bet that you could adapt something like that to make it work.  

The biggest disadvantage I have found is like I mentioned about not being able to see my arrow hit.  You can cut the sight window open more, and I will be playing with that myself before season opens.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
Thank you! Look forward to reading them!    :thumbsup:

And i will check out that adaptor!

Thanks for the help!!!
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©