3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Joebuck's Turkey Hunting Threads?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Joebuck's Turkey Hunting Threads?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Biggie...  So the truth comes out! You're a great guy for letting him take all this credit.   :biglaugh:
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
Lance, Joey's posts on the PBS forum are under  Knowledge through Experience. There are two listings but I think they are the same. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
Sorry about the double post on PBS...they changed servers right during the middle of my discussion and i have been toooo lazy to straighten all back out but i have a ton of stuff on there , i think still?

Huntsman...love your zest man!!!...i can tell how excited u are about bowhunting turkeys...  the Hidden Draw Blind will fit your longbow but u will need an adapter to screw base in. When i first used it , i JB welded it to my antler knob!!  then i said screw it and drilled my recurve. The swing adapter i like is the GameTracker stablizer insert on *bay. it is way more comfortable to carry the bow shield swung around then perpindicular when walking as shown in pic below

Below is how i fold the shield up with the Game Tracker homemade "uknuckle"  . u can buy all the hardware like at an Ace hardware..See how the top wire loop just swings around top limb and U knuckle cants 90 degrees on bottom attachment of shield.

Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Now this is the Money shot!!  shows it all!...The Game Tracker Stablizer insert is screwed into my bow..then i bought a nylon insert lock nut, bolt and plastic knob.. I took a washer and soldiered it on the Hidden Draw prong to have a solid base to screw my bolt into Game Tracker insert. Adjust the locking nut so it is tight in fold up position and shoot position.. this is a lot easier than it looks.....It took me about 2 Boston butt smoking times to come up with this jimmy rig but i am going on my 4th  season with this rig.....no problems.....notice how I "camoed" up my shield.....turkeys can see you draw through the factory shield ( from experience:)   :)  ) so you need to darken or triple wrap it with some netting type material a couple of wraps.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Tying it all together..........heres how my typical setup looks. I am not a big fan of Big Fabric Ghillie suits that "move" in the wind.. For my setup 99% of the time...i just want to be a tree trunk...it has worked for me all over the US no matter the fauna.  Heres my reasoning, when i draw, anything connected to my draw will move..i certainly dont want any extra burlap flapping also...i want to conceal as much Mass as i can moving.. I am not knocking Ghillies, lets just say i got that merit badge. However i really like Big Jim's Bush in a Bag. It is the same layout cape i made and fabric is rigid...I may buy one and "fix it" like a good redneck can...Another note to this pic is that i scooted the decoys in too close for taking a picture sake, my norma decoy distance is usually 12-16 steps from me..Use to be closer till i had a Paradise Club Ga bird brush my leg...thats just too much excitement to stand again..........cant close this picture without a funny note to it....obviously this pic is in my front yard...well not 1 minute after this picture was taken...mail lady came up the gravel road apparently blowing the horn trying to scare my "fake" turkeys out of the way...when she got almost to them .i jumped up in my cape and she thought i was a spook and almost hit that oak...She weighs about 350 # and i thought she had a heart attack...she aint my mail lady no more....  note my hand shining in the shield window!!!.....the little things will get u!!

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
Joey you have nooo idea how obsessed i am now....well maybe YOU do.     :goldtooth:    last spring i had noooo luck at all...found plenty of tracks in the sand but never a bird.....then in the fall i had me a good natural blind set up....had a hen decoy at about 15 yards and i actualy called in two jakes! And with a raspy hen mouth call at that....with the only instructions being from the paperwork they come with and videos on utube.

They got to about 30 yards....and just stopped, just freaking stopped!!!....in my head i could just hear em talking to each other...."uhh, Bob...what do you think?"  "ya know what Ralph im a thinking something just aint right" they stood there for a little bit then just turned around and walked away!

Even through the silent cussing i was still smiling.

Since then i have just been itching for the spring season to get here. That  set up you have looks great! And i bet it will certainly help come April. I cant drill a hole in my riser but i will rig up something!

Ill go and read all i can over there on PBS...thanks or sharing all of your experience!!!

Lance
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
I was posting when you were!....that poor mail Lady    :laughing:   and i was also looking at the  bush in a bag instead of a suit
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
I'm loving this thread. I love to see setups that are simple and affective. I haven't had any luck yet but I'm gonna give some of these techniques a try. Hopefully something good will happen :0)

Jason

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
That mail lady story had me rolling!  That had to be almost as much fun  as calling in a big ol tom!  
I better be packing some extra tears for Nebraska cause I think I'm going to be running low from crying so hard laughing if you've got more  stories like that!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 05:31:00 AM »
Here's a few tips I learned for joey
get plenty of rest.

no matter what you do, look good doing it. the guy 3 fairways over don't know where your ball went.

improvise and over come. Joey forgot his decoy stake so he broke a grizzly stick arrow off and used a silver flame xxl to stake it down with.

Check and double check you equipment.

be the bush and be still damnit. can you find the turkey hunter in this picture?

hire a good camp cook.

Hunt where turkeys live

"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 05:37:00 AM »
surround yourself with good buddys who share in you passion.

And always take time to thank the good Lord for today and all the days to come. thanks for the tips Joebuck.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
And final tip is .........Take a chance and invite a redneck from North Carolina to hunt uncharted waters and he will Make your and other's trip!     Gone miss ya Batman!  That's some some funny stuff right there.....I did not know I could stretch that KUIU that far.

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
I've been searching,but I can't find the other post about a bow mounted blind. I remember someone else had made one using welded wire and a strap-on accessory/bowfishing reel mount??  :dunno:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
ttt. guys , if you want to kill a turkey without a blind, this is the man you need to be paying attention to. He's got it down to a science and still tweeking it.

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 02:28:00 AM »
I spent several hours over on PBS reaDing Joey's post and man there is allot of great info there!!!

I just ordered a ghillie poncho, next is the bow blind, and some decent calls....then lots and lots of practice!!!

Joey has also posted some videos on utube about calls that are very helpfull.

Thanks Joey for passing on all of your knowledge for newbies like myself with the fevor!!!

Hopefully soon i too will be texting my friends BBD!!!     :archer:  

Lance
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
Great stuff Batman - you've really got me fired up now!  As if I wasn't already...
Don't miss hearing the master explain it all in person at the Compton Tannehill shoot on the 25th of this month.  Joey's turkey hunting seminar will be worth the trip all by itself!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
I'll see ya there Whip. I'm hanging out with Hayes and Joe while the old man gives his talk. I may take them out on the town.

Hey Joey, can Hayes drive a truck yet?

I also heard that the oxford ms cub scouts are trying to get the buchanan boys tested for performance enhancing drugs.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
Here's one....

CLICK HERE
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
Awesome find Terry! Great information on that thread!!!
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
Good stuff there for sure!  Should be required reading for anyone planning to bowhunt turkeys.  

There is a wealth of information in those archives that is not utilized nearly enough.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©