3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt  (Read 69445 times)

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt
« Reply #1140 on: February 23, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
Behaving you say Mark? I figure beinghav is about the best you can hope for out of that crowd.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1141 on: February 24, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »
Hopefully no news is good news!  Today is supposed to beautiful...best of luck!!!
  :archer2:
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1142 on: February 24, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
Yesterday was very good. The rain gave another late start but no rain or wind for the morning hunt. Real quiet walking. We all came back to camp for a late lunch and meet up. Afternoon I went to a bad spot and later in the afternoon I had a little swirling wind to work with.  There was at least one very close encounter yesterday, but that person will have to tell their own campfire story.

Speaking of campfire stories, I've never heard such a collection in my life! They were worth the trip on their own! I've heard about Canada, Mexico, and a bunch of Africa. I've listened to stories of bows and bowyers going back to the 30s, and I saw a Howard Hill from the mid 1950s that still has the original price tag on it.

I just don't want anyone feeling bad about us not posting page after page of kill pics. We're having a ball here with or without cooperative swine!

Now back to work, one last time...
   :pray:  
Thom

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1143 on: February 24, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Heading home now, less than four hours left. Never loosed an arrow at something that could move, but a few beer cans along the road and a bunch of anthills died honorably.

Rain was still sprinkling at bedtime last night, but the sun was shining by about 9 or so this morning to help dry things out as we packed. That place was beautiful in the sunshine. Still squishy though. Will take a bit to drain down, and I think there is more rain tomorrow.

Great, great group of people. Had a ton of fun swapping stories and looking at bows. Wish I could have stayed a few more days. Rumor is that RC is coming out to give Knawbone a few pointers. There may still be a dead pig before this thread is done!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1144 on: February 24, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
Pigs in the swamp on the ground is as challenging as any deer hunt.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1145 on: February 24, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Just got back. I'm beat down and real tired but gotta unpack and try to dry things out.

My money is on knawbone getting one. He's one determined hunter and with, it seems, lots of patience. If the Hog Guru RC is mentoring him, I'll bet he sticks one.

I saw no pigs. I did find a boar skull about 60 yards from camp. Likely one of RC's harvests from a year or so ago. Nice little rounded tusks.

The best thing about the hunt and camp was getting to put faces with names and meeting everyone. Seeing the Hill bow and meeting Bob Burton was very nice. The worst thing was the nagging rain and humidity and the leaking tent. After a hot shower and a good supper I'm trying to get things somewhat organized to get a good night's rest. I took a few pics. I'll try to post some later.

Good night all.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1146 on: February 25, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
Got home at 3:00 a.m.  Boy am I beat.  Had a great time and second the fun of putting faces to names.  Hogs are tough to pattern when they are bumped by hunters and rising water.  Saw all kinds of sign just none with a critter standing in any.  All in all even with the 1700 mile round trip I would say it was a success.  
Getting to see and hold some of Howards personal bows was a true plus.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1147 on: February 25, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
I sure hope some body had a camera and used it??
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1148 on: February 25, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by stringstretcher:
I sure hope some body had a camera and used it??
looks like cameras weren't on the packing list...or the Hill Gang couldn't figure out how they work?    :banghead:

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1149 on: February 25, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Yea Jeff took quite a few but he is probably still in bed.  He has one that is flat out cool.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1150 on: February 25, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
The HillGang Hog Hunt was a true adventure, like sticknstones already pointed out the hunting stories that were shared and the comradeship amongst the Hill guys was very cool.

I also had an oppourtunity to go afield with David (Knawbone), Jeff (Dragonheart), Ross (Rossco), Bud (Bud B), Todd.

I also want to thank Craig Ekin of Howard Hill Archery and Bob Burton for sending the original bows that Howard Hill built and shot to the hunt for everyone to handle.

After a 12 hour drive, I'm back to work and planning my daughters sweet 16 birthday. My pics will have to come later...
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1151 on: February 25, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
There were pictures taken. Most of us got back late and have to jump back into reality and life in general. Pics will come.

Some are still out hunting.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1152 on: February 25, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
I did not make it back over there today. A 17 hr day at work yesterday made me sleep in and besides...believe it or not ...its raining now.RC

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1153 on: February 25, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Wow! This was a really great hunt even without the wind and weather cooperating.This WMA had plenty of hunting pressure so these hogs were very educated and could disappear at the blink of an eye. It was an honor getting to share stories and sound effects with some of y'all. looking forward to doing this again hopefully  :archer:

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1154 on: February 25, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
Uh, sound effects?  :eek:    :confused:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1155 on: February 25, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
NOMAD88 makes great animal sound effects. His cricket is unbelievable.... So is his purring hen cluck.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1156 on: February 25, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
Guys, I want a list of all the HillGang that went to the hunt. I counted 18 of us, and by the end of the hunt I was starting to remember names. If you see someone's name missing, send me a pm so I can add them.

1.Darren tradlongbow
2.Jesus Rushlush
3.George xroadshunter
4.Jeff Dragonheart
5.Chris ChrisM
6.Ross Rossco
7.Paul Moleman
8.David Knawbone
9.Kathy Killdeer
10.David Canopyboy
11.Bud Bud B.
12.Todd herndondt
13.Thom Sticksnstone
14.Damon NOMAD88
15.Tom Talley
16.Blaine BlaineO.
17.Bob Burton
18.Don Williams
19.Robert RC
20.Jorge IronMan2
21.Harry bigbowsh

Help me out guys with the names and handles that I'm missing.
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1157 on: February 25, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
This is a picture of RC and myself Wednesday night going over the map of the WMA. Follow the link below to more great photos.

More great photos.
  http://s1009.beta.photobucket.com/user/tradlongbow/library/HillGang%20Hog%20Hunt
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1158 on: February 25, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
Just walked in the door, will try to post some photos tomorrow. I count 19 faces in the group photos.
Thom

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1159 on: February 25, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©