3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt  (Read 69413 times)

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt
« Reply #1260 on: March 04, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
Heading up the main access road to the swamp, I found myself trying to keep up with RC, as he forged on, occasionally stopping briefly to check the swamp and field edges for hog sign.It seemed he had some place to go, as if by some magical pig radar. As we now reached the road along the power line, we both stopped almost simultaneously, as RC reached his hand out to stop my advance. There, just down the road toward the river," Pigs, you see em" RC said." Yes I Whispered " as I could see RC's wheels turning. He immediately pulled a bottle of powder from his pocket and checked the wind direction. I thought, yah I like this guy.                        

The wind was swapping some, as we jockeyed for position ,and a way to get on the pigs. We watched them for  quite a few minutes as we kept low to the ground and re positioned to the other side of the road. RC said, " wait until they go in the swamp, then stalk up and let em' have it." He said, " don't worry about making too much noise, just shuffle in there and look for the pigs, they will think your ( the noise you make ) just another pig. Now here was a man speaking from experience!
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1261 on: March 04, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
With ear attentive, RC posted guard, as I advanced on the hogs back door. The pigs had now entered the swamp and I was in high hopes that they were staying just inside the swamp edge. I made it to the spot were the pigs had made their disappearance, but neither saw nor herd any hogs. I looked back to RC position, to see him motioning me to come back to his location. RC had heard the pigs go threw, and we needed to try and cut them off. Again RC's radar was turned on as we headed north. How he knew were they were going, I'm not quite sure, but on we walked, as I once again tried to keep.                      

Well, by the time we got to where RC thought we could cut them off, it was too late. The pigs had made a hasty retreat. Do to the swirling winds and the dry leaves, the pigs never paused, they evidently had made us and weren't sticking around to greet us. Rc said he heard them go threw, so we headed back to the main access road once again.                                        

By this time, it was getting late, and I explained to RC that I wanted to try and hunt the field that evening, and he graciously understood. I wish now that we had just kept hunting the swamp. My pigs never returned that evening to the field, and it was probably my own fault. I believe at that point RC dropped me off near the field and then drove back to camp. I apologize for cutting your hunt short RC.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1262 on: March 04, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
I made it back to camp after waiting for all possible prospect of a return visit by the swine. The sun had all but completely tucked itself behind the horizon as I once again greeted my fellow campers. Upon asking me, I explained to RC that Most likely the pigs hadn't returned , do to the fact that I had retrieved my arrow from the entangled pines the morning before. The scent I left in the process may have been detected by the pigs as they prepared to enter the field. Or just as likely, the pressure they felt from the added human activity kept them at bay. But for whatever reason, the pigs would never again return during the rest of my stay.                        

As the day wound to a close, we all enjoyed the new found comradery,went over maps of the WMA, and talked about pig hunting and Hill bows. RC said his good by's,as duty called him back to work. He had traveled the 80 miles from home to meet and help his friends. And his friends couldn't thank him enough. We really enjoyed your visit and your help RC, thanks again.  My final hunt story coming up..........
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1263 on: March 04, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
The next four days are a jumble of memories too vast and numerous to mention. Some of the hunts I had with various members of the gang have already been mentioned, and none of that detracts from there importance.There were some moments that stick out in my mind however, like the peach cobbler that George made in a dutch oven, Wow, I think it was the best Iv' ever had. I can still taste how good it was.Then there was the visit I had with killy and Dave, I remember the great conversation and excellent port wine they shared with me. Thom brought a camera and tripod,and took our group picture. I don't recall anyone asking him to do that, he just took it upon himself. Everyone was so unselfish and accommodating. Truly a great group of individuals.

The time went fast however, and it was now Sunday, the day when everyone had to pack up and head for home. I don't remember if I hunted at all that morning or not, but I do remember being in camp most of the day, not wanting to say goodby to my friends. With a sense of loss, I said goodby to all I could as they departed and headed to there own worlds. I will see you on Trad Gang my friend, thanks and have a safe trip home. I'm sure most of them felt more or less the same.

By Sunday night, only one member remained other than myself, and that was Damon. Damon and I had a good visit that night around my bonfire. We talked for about two hours or more,until it was finally time to call it a night. He had already broken camp and was prepared to leave camp early in the morning. And so he did.

It was now Monday morning and now the rains returned- all day. It was a day of regrouping for me. I went to a nearby town and did laundry and shopped. Tomorrow the weather would clear, and I had hunt'n to do.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1264 on: March 04, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
OK I'm getting there, I'm getting there!    :saywhat:
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1265 on: March 04, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Outstanding story telling . you got a way with words.RC

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1266 on: March 04, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
If there's a dead pig at the end of this story you're guilty of torture Dave! Lol ;-)
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1267 on: March 04, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
I have to say I've enjoyed the torture.
  :campfire:
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1268 on: March 04, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
I'm right back there with you Dave. Great telling of the events as they played out. We're beside you all the way...  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1269 on: March 04, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
Thanks guys, but my spelling and grammar needs some serious editing.   :biglaugh:
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1270 on: March 04, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »
Tuesday morning the sky was still spitting and shaded as I crawled from my cocoon.The weather was in transition and all day the wind played hop-scotch. Not deterred, I spend the day scouting for fresh swine sign as the ground had been swept clean from the rain. Any fresh tracks found would be distinct from the old. I was in high hopes of finding new tracks in old haunts, but the pigs didn't cooperate. At least not this day.

As I returned from one of my inquiries, on my way to my vehicle, I saw a pick-up truck round the bend and head my way. It was dark green in color and I had a feeling I knew who it was.

Sure enough it was Mr. conservation officer, no, it was two MR. conservation officers. They stopped in front of me,as I walked up to greet them. " Good afternoon guys " I said, " Hello " they said, " hows the hunting going, have you seen or gotten any shots ". So on the conversation went as I finally asked them for advice on possible hog locations.
They never even asked me for my license. I assumed they figured a guy hunting this late in the season with a longbow, wasn't out to break too many laws. Really nice guys, I wish I could remember their names. And so the day ended with no pigs in my sights. But now however, my last day would be the next, for I learned that the gate to the campground would be locked Friday morning. I wanted to leave for home during morning hours. That meant leaving early Thursday, the last day of the season.      

The last day.........
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1271 on: March 04, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Wednesday morning was cool and clear as I drank my coffee, and pillaged my brain for a way to find my game. I figured for now, all I could do was follow up on the area suggested by the men in uniform- area one.

I spent the morning speed scouting that area, and wouldn't you know it, I found fresh tracks. Like a blood hound I followed the tracks looking and listening for a hog. I must have followed that sounder for at least 3/4's of a mile. The pigs kept following field edges until, as if they knew to, they went safely onto posted property. Damn those hogs, foiled again.  

I needed a break and a bite to eat, so back to camp I went. I rested a bit after my meal and then new exactly were I was going. You guessed it.... to the brushy clear cut.  

With the wind blowing over the clear cut from the direction of the power line, I drove my jeep past the check station and down the road along the south side of the field. As I came to the end of the road, I quietly exited my vehicle, shutting the doors with a slow, but firm push. This was my grand finally hunt and my senses were at a peek. There would be making no mistakes on this, my last hunt at Ocmulgee, if I stood a prayer of a chance at all. Even if my suspisions were correct, and this field held pigs, it would be very tough getting a shot in such thick cover. Hey, what did i have to lose. This was the last straw, the coup de grau.( or however you say it ).
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1272 on: March 04, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
:campfire:
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1273 on: March 04, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Almost right from the first step from the jeep, I found fresh tracks. I couldn't believe my luck, and I didn't waist any time, but started deciphering the tracks. Down across the bottom corner of the field they went, ending along the edge of the field, between there and the woods. The tracks went into the woods and then came back into the field. A little further ahead, I found more fresh tracks, going into the woods and then back in the field. What should I do now, I thought, where did they go, are they near or have they moved on.  

It was then I heard it, a pig grunt. I couldn't tell exactly from which direction it had come, but the pig was close, like within 30 yds. close.I strained my ears for another directive, but heard nothing. I was sure the grunt had come from the woods, as I looked down wind. I didn't want to get ahead of their nose, that would end my hunt for sure.I back peddled to get down wind and into the woods. I worked my way into the woods as I lisened for pigs. Going no more than 10 or 15 yrds., i stoped and surveyed the situation. Just sit down and use your ears Dave, I told myself. It seemed like forever, but then I heard it again, a grunt, and a faint squeal. Now I new where they were, they were in the field.

Keeping my ears tuned, I entered the field. I only went about 10 yrds. in and I squatted down to listen again. As soon as I croached ,the pig grunted again. They were right in front of me laying in the bushes, not more than five yds. away. Wow, success, I had found my pig and she layed at my lap.

I once again weighed my options, but I really didn't have to many, all I could do was wait and hope the wind stayed on my side. I watched the bushes to see where and how many pigs might be there.A little time invested told me it was a lone sow with three or four shoats. I watched the bushes move and saw pieces and glimpses of pigs for what must have been 3/4 of an hour- or so it seemed.My head was reeling as I tried to think of a way to fool my target. I thought maybe I could throw a stick or rock and jostle her position, but there was nothing to throw. I wasn't sure that was such a good idea anyway, and resolved to wait. It was all I could do was wait, or back out in hopes I could catch her leaving the field. All she had to do was get up and step left or right a couple of steps. If she did, she would be mine.

A couple of times the shoats would make an apperance were I could have shot them, but they were only 7 or 8 bls. in size. It was mama I wanted. I thought about rushing her, but didn't like that option either. I knew whatever the outcome, my hunt had been a success. I found my pig in the brushy clear cut, and could almost tackle her and stab her to death with my knife. And thats the way it ended, as the wind finally betrayed me. She caught my scent and rushed off with her shoats. It was ok, I felt satisfied I did my best. The real trophy is in my memory banks. Thank you Ocmulgee.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1274 on: March 04, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Outstanding!!!RC

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1275 on: March 04, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Nice Dave! Much deserved after s e hard hunting, great experience!

I envy you the time you had down there, it was a great place to visit and hunt for those of us habituated to the more northern climes.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1276 on: March 04, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
Thanks RC, I had a great mentor

Thank you too Ross, My motivation came not only from my love for hunting, but that of my fellow Ocmulgeans.It really wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable without each and every one of you. You Sir, and all who attended, is what made it a true vacation.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1277 on: March 05, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing your story!!! Getting that close on the ground is a rush!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1278 on: March 05, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
Great Story Knawbone.  Thanks.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1279 on: March 05, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
Dave-

That was awesome story! I hunted those woods behind that high grassy pasture the first day. That's where I came across three deer while walking across the ravine that goes towards the railroad tracks.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©