3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt  (Read 69871 times)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt
« Reply #360 on: March 04, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
I got my Schulz Hill Tembo back yesterday. Now I am going to get a dozen Surewoods from Rick at The Feathered Shaft. It will be pork Shish Kabob time in Ga.!
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #361 on: March 04, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
I just began looking at this thread today and I am interested in going. That said, I am at a bit of a loss as to what constitutes an admissable bow. I may have over-looked something but "Hill style" is far from definitive. I enjoyed the slide show but it still did not give any criteria. At what point does "slight reflex" become too much? I shoot Toelke Super Ds. The straight riser has a very slight dish in the grip less than 1/8" deep. The limbs are practically straight, they have a tiny bit of backset so that when the bow is placed face-up on a flat surface there is 3/8" gap between the back of the riser and the flat surface. Braced, the bow has a classic D profile. Does anyone actually know if my bow would be permitted? I am not intersted in shooting any but my own and it's a long drive to not be sure if my bow meets meets whatever the criteria is.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #362 on: March 04, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Sounds like it would be just fine. There isn't an issue with backset, only in R/D that results in a profile that is not straight, string follow, or backset only. I hope that helps. I'm sure someone else will hop on here with pics. Maybe they can put pics up on page one of the differences since that seems to be a consistent question.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #363 on: March 04, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
I was kinda figuring that , with the numbers now involved , this will in essence be one large stump shoot with like minded fella's ... and that sounds about as good a way to spend a weekend as any i can think of , pigs or no pigs .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #364 on: March 04, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
Room for one more??  I could pick up Mudd on my way down!
Mel Riley

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #365 on: March 04, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
Jim I'd say that you could get your answer from the bowyer as to the exact style of your bow.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #366 on: March 04, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jim Wright:
I just began looking at this thread today and I am interested in going. That said, I am at a bit of a loss as to what constitutes an admissable bow. I may have over-looked something but "Hill style" is far from definitive. I enjoyed the slide show but it still did not give any criteria. At what point does "slight reflex" become too much? I shoot Toelke Super Ds. The straight riser has a very slight dish in the grip less than 1/8" deep. The limbs are practically straight, they have a tiny bit of backset so that when the bow is placed face-up on a flat surface there is 3/8" gap between the back of the riser and the flat surface. Braced, the bow has a classic D profile. Does anyone actually know if my bow would be permitted? I am not intersted in shooting any but my own and it's a long drive to not be sure if my bow meets meets whatever the criteria is.
I'm thinking of taking the trip Jim.  Your welcome to ride along if I can get a sanctioned bow. LOL
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #367 on: March 04, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Thanks Mudd and how are you? I just re-read this and saw that Nathan mentioned the North American Longbow Safari as an example of the criteria and I know that Dan and some of his customers shoot his Hill style Super Ds in this event. I have tentative plans to attend the event myself this July in Idaho. By this and the info on Darren's post my bow should be fine. Count me in for this coming February.

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #368 on: March 04, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Dan describes his Super D as a Hill style bow, I've been on the cusp of ordering one from him on and off for over a year.....
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #369 on: March 05, 2012, 03:00:00 AM »
Basically a Hill style American Semilongbow when unbraced has a straight limb profile or a single sweeping curve forward ( reflexed ) or a single sweeping curve rearward ( string follow )   if the bow has more than one curve (reflex-deflex) it doen't qualify for the hog hunt although you can use that type of longbow at the NALS.  

I guess I am still old school about D shape bows...to me it has always been the cross-section of the limb...like the old time bowyers referred to in the past...not the shape of the tiller of a bow at brace like so many refer to nowadays.

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #370 on: March 06, 2012, 04:48:00 AM »
I think I may be able to go to this. I have been following along but a year from now is still a long ways out. I was a member of Dick Wightman's HH email list and I have read every post on the the HH "Bug" thread since it started. I would really like to meet all of you folks. I live in Southern WV near Beckley where 77, 79, and 64 pass through. That would give me the opportunity to hook up with someone on the way down.
BTW,
I have a HH Longbowman's Choice
Thanks,
Bic Ulrich
Fayetteville, WV

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #371 on: March 06, 2012, 07:09:00 AM »
Tada!! Nate nailed it for me!

I grew up thinking of "D" bows being called what they are *NOT* based on the shape of the bow when strung or unstrung but what the bow looked like if you cut the bow in to two pieces and looked at the cut ends.

In fact if you read John Strunks' material (pg123, in The Traditional Bowyer's Bible), he gives this as the definition of the Yew Longbow.

God bless,Mudd

PS: I sure hope Tony's bow shows up today!!!!
Mine is still unopened, just sitting there so tempting me...lol
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #372 on: March 06, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
This stuff along with the other looonnggg thread would be great on a Hill Style forum here on TG. Lots easier to keep up with.RC

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #373 on: March 06, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
Yeah, we need a Hill Style forum. These threads end up getting too many offshoots to follow. RC, you should bring it up in the next meeting.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #374 on: March 06, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
One half of "The Buddy" bows.

Sunset Hill 66" SF  50@28

In the name of the father."I AM" being tested.

Thank you Nate!

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #375 on: March 06, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
That's a mighty fine bow Mudd!  Congrats!
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #376 on: March 06, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
Mudd-

The bow looks great! I came back from TBOF in Ocala on Sunday, then Monday I left for Key West. So, now I need to do some catching up.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #377 on: March 06, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
Very nice Mudd, the white glass makes for a stunning bow, and as some of the other fellas have said previously, ill be packing extra hill styles as well for those who would like to use them. This is gonna be a great event and I want everyone who attends to be able to participate in the fun. The lightest poundage I have is 48 lbs and from there it goes up, but well match up weights with persons when we get together. Id love to see some pork on the pole, but if nothing else the fellowship is gonna be great!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #378 on: March 07, 2012, 07:50:00 AM »
I'll be checking out a Toelke Super D with this morning.  I think I will like it!

Can't weight to set up some wood arras with treesharks!
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #379 on: March 07, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
I have two questions:

The first question is for RC or others that hunt that area that I did not see come up.  When hunting hogs, I usually pack a sidearm as backup in case they get a little cross with me.  Are you allowed to pack a sidearm as added protection in Gawgia.  

The second is for the hunt sponsors, if sidearms are allowed, will they be allowed on the hunt.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©