3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt  (Read 69796 times)

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt
« Reply #460 on: June 11, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
Thank you, RC. It all sounds very reasonable.

Bob

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #461 on: June 11, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
RC, can you quarter and pack the hog out or can you only field dress it?
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #462 on: June 11, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
You quarter and pack out. This is not a managed hunt. After deer season when small game is in you purty much have the run of the place.RC

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #463 on: June 11, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Thanks Owlmagnet, for the question, and you for the answer RC.  I was kind of wondering the same thing since ill be bringing my Baker lodge and stove. Unless its really chilly i wont use the stove, but just in case........ Ill be traveling solo, so anyone that needs a home for the weekend is welcome to bunk with me. I can sleep 3 with gear pretty comfortable.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #464 on: June 14, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
HillGang-

I wanted everyone to know that I called Bob Wesley today and I emailed him the link to the HillGang Hog Hunt 2013. Bob liked the idea, and sent me an email back that he made note of the date and thinks the hunt will be a real hoot!

I talked to Bob the first time about 10 years ago, he sent me his video and a piece of wood from Howard Hills target butt. Bob is a real gentleman.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #465 on: June 14, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
That would be a treat.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #466 on: June 14, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
With the attendees listed, I'd say we have about 10,000 acres covered!    :biglaugh:
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #467 on: June 14, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
I found this to be very interesting, when I told Bob Wesley that we're going to print a t-shirt with the picture of Howard carrying the hog on his back . Bob said, "that picture was Howards's wife Libby's favorite picture".

How cool is that? Way Cool!

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #468 on: June 15, 2012, 04:08:00 AM »
First I would like to get two shirt's in XXL, let me know when and where you need the money.

second I am looking forward to just spending time with all my Hill brothers and have some fun.  If cann't hog hunt its okay, but shooting with some people that have special place means alot, will not be able to make north american longbow safari.

Third-  I am ready Arrows made by me, with special hog seeking broadheads (or tree's), bow by Mr. Steen and one by Mr. Ekin through Mr. Wesley, shooting form by Mr. Wesley.  Might even go see Mr. Miller.  Might have to bring along my nephews Mist by Mr. Turrey if I can pry it out of his hands.  
Look forward to seeing you all.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #469 on: June 15, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
Todd-

Steve Turay, plans on being there, Craig Ekin told me that Jason may be able to make it, Bob Burton author of Hill Collectiables, and now Bob Wesley may be joining us. I'm thinking that we should have some kinda of get together Friday night.

I've been trying to get intouch with Jerry Hill, but he hasn't returned any of my emails, if you guys know him or have his contact information let me know.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #470 on: June 16, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
Jerry and I grew up together but its been a couple of years since I have seen him.. The number I had for him had been changed. Unless someone has a current phone/contact I will try and go see him if you want me to and put him in contact with you.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #471 on: June 16, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
David-

That would be great if you can. I meet Jerry and his wife back in 2000 at the Grand Ole Oprey, they were having a NWTA onvention. They were really good folks, and I bought a book from Jerry and he signed it.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #472 on: June 17, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
I'm looking for my fix here, guys.
Did I mention I just got a little Whisper?
Going to the range with a few Sweet Nothings.    :bigsmyl:  
Killdeer    :help:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #473 on: June 17, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
I was able to shoot a few minutes with my Dave Johnson bow this Father's Day morning. I made these arrows for the Hill Hog Hunt. GT Trad 35/55s footed with 1" of 2117 and tipped with 175gr points. Magnus goose cock feathers. 15 yards.

Looking forward to the hunt as is everyone   :)  

If never an arrow is loosed by me at a hog on this hunt it'll still be a fine outing.

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #474 on: June 20, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
I've been working on some ash arrows for this hunt. They are a good bit heavier than the cedar and spruce I normally fool around with, but they are flying well for me at 20-25 yards.

I normally rely on Zwicky Eskimos, but I've had a dozen Hill broadheads sitting around here for awhile. They fly great, but I can never seem to get them qite as sharp as the Eskimos.

If I can "break the code" on sharpening these bad boys, will I be the only one using them on this hog hunt?

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #475 on: June 20, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Man, I wish I were a better typist. I meant to say, "quite" as sharp. But seriously, is anyone else planning to employ Howard Hill Broadheads from their Howard Hill bows on this hunt?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #476 on: June 20, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
If I can get them to fly on the 35/55, then yes. I may go to the 140 gr 5/16 ones with a broadhead adapter to get them around 160-170gr. My field points now are 175 gr. They are just a touch weak showing, so 160gr or thereabouts may be the ticket.

I have a wood test kit coming from magnus, so,if I can get woodies to fly well I may go to them. But these GT Trad carbons are doing real well.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #477 on: June 20, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
This is gonna be fun.I`ll be camping there a few days in late August and again in Sept. I`ll post pics. There is a Lake there that is man made and 88 acres That 10 lb bass are caught and released regularly. Not to mention Bream and cats.So if you get tired of walking....you can fish.RC

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #478 on: June 20, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Yes, I am planning on using Mr. Hill's head from Howard Hill archery on some ash arrows.  I don't seem to get them as sharp as others, and don't get pass throughs but have harvested game with them.  We can use GT on this hunt?  I might try some of the new ones, anyone else?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #479 on: June 20, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradlongbow:
Luke-

This is going to be a Hill style bow Hog Hunt. Arrows shouldn't matter but the bow should be D-shaped Hill style.

Darren

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©