3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt  (Read 69646 times)

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt
« Reply #500 on: June 30, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
That list is ridiculous! Lol. This is gonna be great!

Living in the frozen north as I do I've not had the chance to hunt hogs before - is my 45lbs Half Breed good for power or should I bring my 54lbs Cheetah?
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #501 on: June 30, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
Wow, 80 folks. We probably ought to start seriously thinking about the meal planning. I was just thinking about how we might want to go about that. I know we talked briefly about it before, but 80 mouths to feed does change things somewhat.

If we set up a cooking tent, it'll make things much easier. We'll need a place to store the ingredients, as that will be a lot easier than sending someone to town for each meal.  We'll need some burners, fuel, griddles, large cast iron pots, and some serving tables.

For breakfast, if we do scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, and toast, which is about as simple as it comes, we'll likely need close to 60 dozen eggs, 24 loaves of bread, 60 pounds of sausage, 60 pounds of bacon, 40 pounds of grits, and a few quarts of jelly, jam, apple butter.

For lunch, I suggest we just do sandwiches and chips, or potato salad, and set it out in a fix it yourself fashion. BBQ sandwiches would be a good choice, but it will need to be made before hand, and we'll probably need 40 pounds of it for each meal. Plus, 160 buns, 30-40 pounds of baked beans, a gallon or two of BBQ sauce, and 25 pounds of potato salad. Plus the plates and utensils.

For evening meals, we can do a gumbo, a brunswick stew, and a low country boil. Or we could do a fish fry one night. We'll probably need 20 gallons of each, plus another couple dozen loaves of bread or a whole lot of cornbread. And we'll definitely need some sort of dessert, like banana pudding, or pecan pie.

We'll also need several gallons of sweet tea, milk, soft drinks, and water. And we'll have to figure out what to do with all of our trash.

Of the top of my head, I think it will cost us around $30 per person per day for the food. That's $5 for breakfast, $10 for lunch, and $15 for dinner. So, it'll be less than $100 each for the 3 days.

I think if we can hash out the details and logistics of things beforehand, it'll go pretty smoothly. I know some folks will say, let's just all show up, fend for ourselves, and hunt, and we can certainly do that, but I contend that if we organize ourselves, it'll make things a lot easier on those that are travelling from long distances, which, I suspect is going to be the majority. I'd rather put in the extra time to plan this thing right and give everybody the opportunity to hunt and get to know each other.

I'm willing to help organize things, if need be.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #502 on: June 30, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rossco7002:
That list is ridiculous! Lol. This is gonna be great!

Living in the frozen north as I do I've not had the chance to hunt hogs before - is my 45lbs Half Breed good for power or should I bring my 54lbs Cheetah?
Bring whichever one you shoot the best. Either one will work.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #503 on: June 30, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
Wasn't a decision made that we would be hunting the Ocmulgee and Okay Woods WMAs?

I would like to get some topos early. Let me know if this isn't the right WMAs and I will hold off getting Topos.

I contacted the WMAs earlier and they had no idea what quadrant they are. When I find out I will let you know what the quadrants are, if this is the WMAs we will hunt.

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #504 on: June 30, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
Thank you Gil.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #505 on: June 30, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
With this many people it may make sense to let people prepare their own food. Maybe have one dinner for everyone on one of the nights, but 80 people for every meal would take a full time cooking staff.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #506 on: June 30, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
We have to think about the people flying for food. I use Mountain House freeze dried meals when I hunt. Perhaps we can pair up people flying and people bringing their own equipment.

I have a 4 man Kifaru with a wood stove and can bring extra mountian house or other food for those that would like to stay with me that are traveling.

At $100 a man that would mean we would have $8000 in food we would have to get to the camp, store and prepare for a 3 day hunt. That would be a lot of food!

I am sure by the time it rolls around we will have it all squared away.

Are we going to hunt the two WMAs I mentioned or are we still up in the air about it?

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #507 on: June 30, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:
Ocmulgee WMA and Oaky Woods.
This is the 2 WMA's that RC ic going to put us on, and I'm told there are close by.

Earlier in the post, I talked about collecting money for food, at that time everyone wanted to pack there own food. If we can collect enough money I'm sure we can do a lot of things. I'm all in for $100.00 a person.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #508 on: June 30, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
You have me listed twice.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #509 on: June 30, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Just found this on page 16.

This thread is getting long too  ;)  

My memory is not as long  :(

My apologies.  :knothead:  

Originally posted by Bud B.:

Originally posted by frankwright:

Originally posted by Bud B.:
Anyone have the Long/Lat of the area planned to hunt?
Ocmulgee check station is located at 32 27.144N

83 28.182 W

Maps of Ocmulgee and Oaky woods are visible here:

http://georgiawildlife.com/maps/hunting/region4  

Google earth is a great place to scout the land. [/b]
Thanks. That's why I wanted it...to do some cyber scouting   :)  [/b]

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #510 on: June 30, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
You have me listed twice.
I fixed it, thanks
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #511 on: June 30, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
I suggested in the beginning of the thread to contact a local diner ahead of time, and have them bring up some boxed lunches/dinners.

Jeff Schultz said he would start collecting the money for the shirts in Oct.
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #512 on: June 30, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
At the risk of sounding completely stupid, what exactly qualifies as a "Hill Bow"? Is it any D style longbow, or something more specific? I just joined TradGang and this thread is very entertaining. I've always wanted to do a hog hunt. We don't have any free ranging wild Hogs up North. Thanks.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #513 on: June 30, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
If we do prepare all of the meals, it will be a major production, to be sure. It's really not an insurmountable task, but it will take some planning. We have plenty of time to get it right.

The more I think about it, the more I think that something to consider is having a cooking team for each meal. That would mean 9 separate cooking teams, each responsible for preparing, serving, and cleaning up each meal. We'd need 9 "chefs" to head up each team. The chef would prepare a menu for his/her meal ahead of time, compile a list of ingredients and cookware necessities, head up cooking the meal, and delegate the serving and clean up to his team.

I'd be willing to coordinate all of this and come up with a list of our needs.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #514 on: June 30, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by UrbanDeerSlayer:
At the risk of sounding completely stupid, what exactly qualifies as a "Hill Bow"? Is it any D style longbow, or something more specific? I just joined TradGang and this thread is very entertaining. I've always wanted to do a hog hunt. We don't have any free ranging wild Hogs up North. Thanks.
When the bow is unstrung, the limbs will be straight, or pretty close to it. Some deflex/reflex bows do string to a D-shape, but have pretty pronounced bend in the limbs when unstrung, like a Mohawk. Those don't count as Hill-style.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #515 on: June 30, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by looper:
If we do prepare all of the meals, it will be a major production, to be sure. It's really not an insurmountable task, but it will take some planning. We have plenty of time to get it right.

The more I think about it, the more I think that something to consider is having a cooking team for each meal. That would mean 9 separate cooking teams, each responsible for preparing, serving, and cleaning up each meal. We'd need 9 "chefs" to head up each team. The chef would prepare a menu for his/her meal ahead of time, compile a list of ingredients and cookware necessities, head up cooking the meal, and delegate the serving and clean up to his team.

I'd be willing to coordinate all of this and come up with a list of our needs.
If we prepare meals for everyone, we would need a substantial size grill. Where would we get a grill like this?
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #516 on: June 30, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
At $100.00 a person I know I would not be able to afford to come. Perhaps there are others in the same boat.
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #517 on: June 30, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
I'm OK with fending for myself as far as meals go. I plan on driving down with herndondt and maybe some others can caravan along if you're passing through Central NC. (folks from central Virginia or West Virginia, or anywhere north of us) We'll be driving down I-73/74 passing through Rockingham, NC and then likely hit I-95 near Bennetsville, SC.

Instead of a large cooksite, maybe several smaller ones?

Whatever happens it'll be a blast.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #518 on: June 30, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
I can round up anything we'll need for the cooking. I've got access to some pretty big tow behind BBQ rigs. I've also got a 10 gallon cast iron pot that'll hold enough jambalaya to feed 100 people.

At any rate, let's take this a step at a time. First, let's see what everyone would prefer, to fend for themselves, to hire a caterer, or to do it ourselves.

Fending for ourselves will definitely be the easiest. It'll pose a something extra to consider for those that are flying in, though.

I suspect that hiring a caterer will be pretty expensive, considering the location, if we can even find someone to cater.

Again, cooking for everyone on site will present it's own set of challenges, but we are a resourceful group. I'm confident we could pull it off smoothly.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #519 on: June 30, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
I'm ok with with a couple cans of Hungary Man and my two burner stove.

Kyle-

Your welcome to use my 2 burner stove.

Looper-

Maybe one evening we can get together andmake some Jambalaya.
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©