3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt  (Read 69622 times)

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt
« Reply #580 on: July 12, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Still trying to work out some time off.  As long as it's not too cold, I may be able to shoot my heavy HH.  I will have to let you know.  Alot of people on the list I'd like to meet, and some friends I'd like to see again.

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #581 on: July 17, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
Regarding bringing "plenty of squirrel arrows"...

I hunt with a Hill Back Quiver. Does anyone else get annoyed trying to sort out the small game heads from the broadheads in the heat of the moment? Even if I use a different color fletch, as often as not, I am looking at the game, not my arrows, when I am easing one out of my quiver as I am trying to put a shot together. Once the fletch is in my peripheral vision, I'm either trying to get it back down in the quiver, (noisy), or it ends up on the ground and I try for another, (slow and dumb).

I tried dividing the quiver, but I didn't care for it.  Maybe I need to give it another try. In the meantime, I tend to carry all broadheads, all the time, when big game hunting. Or, I have a quiver full of Ace Hex Heads when I'm after small game. Obviously, this can be less than ideal. What do my fellow archers do? What did Howard do? (Make me smarter, please!)

Thanks,
Bob

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #582 on: July 17, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
I use a dawgware when not using a bow quiver and keep my arrows seperated from one side to the other.I cannot get used to a back quiver and will not fight it. I use what works best for ME.RC

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #583 on: July 17, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
I hunt with an Arrowmaster, mostly.
Just thinking through the seat of my pants, maybe putting your hex-headed arrows upside-down in the quiver would help. I think fletch damage would be minimal if you are careful putting them back in. It would be easy to tell them apart by feel, though. The bigger the quiver the better.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #584 on: July 17, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
See? THAT's why I love this forum. Intelligent people giving intelligent suggestions to horrendously challenged owlmagnets....

Killdeer, you are a genius! I will try that today. If I can keep the hex heads quiet, that might work. Thank you.

Bob

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #585 on: July 17, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
If your arrows are the same length wouldn't the hex head arrows be shorter overall as compared to a broadhead tipped arrow? And maybe different nocks for your squirrel arrows vs your hog arrows?

I'm going to use the HH broadheads and they tend to make the arrows a bit longer overall.

Gotta order some ACE hex heads though.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #586 on: July 17, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
Yes, Bud, I am using HH broadheads and they are a good bit longer. However, in the back quiver, all the arrows are laying at, what, a sixty-seventy degree angle? For some reason, that makes relative length a little harder for me to judge in the very brief time I am devoting to arrow selection.

Withdrawing an arrow from my quiver, nocking it on the string, (I nock above, for this reason), and coming to full draw, without ever taking my eyes off the "spot", is a big part of my practice. In truth, I have never succeeded in getting a second arrow into a deer before it was out of range, but that ability is bound to come in handy one of these days, and I train for it.

When I go for an arrow, I'm going for ONE nock and do not do a lot of comparative analysis as to relative arrow length. That is why I am going to give Killdeer's suggestion a serious try. It has the potential for virtually instant discrimination between a safe-to-handle small game blunt and the nock of a broad-headed arrow--when my eyes are locked on my quarry. I don't know if I will be able to keep the Hex Heads from "tinking" against one another, though, but I will give it an honest evaluation.

If it works, it is an elegant solution to my small game hunts here in the desert. The Hex Heads are very effective on cottontails, but I am reluctant to engage jack rabbits and coyotes with them. As a result, I normally carry only broadheads--which can get real expensive when you are trying to connect with a running bunny.

I hesitate to mention it, but on my hunting grounds, unfortunate consideration must also be given to other incredibly rare, but potentially serious situations where instant access to broadheads could prove essential....

But never mind that, you're gonna love those hex heads!

Bob

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #587 on: August 03, 2012, 01:32:00 AM »
Guys,

I'm heading down from Ontario for this and things are really firming up for me in terms of making the trip.

Not sure if I'm gonna fly or drive. Is there anyone I might be able to carpool at least part of the way with? If I do the drive solo my back will be so messed up I'll be getting around on all fours once I arrive.... Lol
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #588 on: August 03, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Owlmagnet- Felt your pain.  I did this I figured out what I use more of broadheads/small game.  I then started paying attention, and using a broadhead per small game was 9 to 1.  So, I had a divider in my backquiver (when used it) and the Lone broadhead or two was at bottom and small game at top.  I have killed plenty of Rabitts with judo's and ace hex head.  When I use my Arrow master, I have a band of red reflective tape I put just behind the broadhead, so I can glance down and see it's red for blood.  hope this helps.

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #589 on: August 03, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
Thank you, Toddster. I always appreciate well-intentioned advice. Killie gave me a really, really good idea, although the main drawback is the noise the fletching can make when you withdraw an inverted, hex-headed, small game arrow from the Hill back quiver. I'll probably stick to broadheads for awhile....

I have been reading and rereading the late Jay Massey's book, "The Bowyer's Craft", focused on his home-made broadheads made of field points and banding-strap, (spring steel). There is a lot of potential there, I think, for a lethal, cost-effective, broadhead suitable for any small or medium game.  

Change in Topic:

Since I'm driving a long, long way to get to this hunt, I am thinking about showing up a good bit early--to rest, recover, and study the lay of the land. Maybe as much as a week. Anybody else beginning to lean that way?

Be well and good luck,
Bob

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #590 on: August 03, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
Bob-

I'll be up there on Wed. with Jesus(Rushlush), see you there...

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #591 on: August 03, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Owlmagnet:
Killdeer, you are a genius!
Whoa!!!  Easy does it there pardner.  This little lady is already having trouble finding hats that fit.

:smileystooges:  

Heck, she even thinks she knows how to pair a bottle of port with the right kind of cheese....

(Ok, inside joke.  And if I'm not careful I might find myself looking for a new ride down to Georgia in February.)
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #592 on: August 03, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
canopyboy: You're getting a ride down with Killdeer? Oh my.... She won't even let me SEE her new Hill bow.

Something about "owlmagnets"...!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #593 on: August 03, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
Wait a minnit!
I thought I was riding with YOU!

God knows why. This is a guy who pairs fairly good Port with Tostitoes.
Killdeer   :rolleyes:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #594 on: August 04, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »
Anyone? Anyone for a carpool to the hog hunt? Anyone? Lol
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #595 on: August 04, 2012, 12:40:00 AM »
Owlmagnet, just for you;

Click on thumbnails.

Owl, 64", 47@26".
Killdeer   :bigsmyl:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #596 on: August 04, 2012, 01:00:00 AM »
That is one *nice* lookin' Owl Hill longbow Killdeer!

And at a draw weight that I could handle!

Too bad that the shelf is on the wrong side....

That last pic has some purdy lookin' barred fletched arras!  I like 'em!

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #597 on: August 04, 2012, 02:15:00 AM »
Thank you for the photographs, Killdeer. What a very pretty bow. No matter what I do; no matter what I say: DO NOT LET ME SHOOT IT!!!

Don't help a good owlmagnet go bad....

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #598 on: August 04, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
Shinken, I'm experimenting with dyeing feathers.
I tried turmeric, and got a bright yellow. These were dyed with TransTint honey almond, which gave me a mellow buffy color that reminded me of Great Horned Owl feathers. I thought that was appropriate for my bow.

These are what I am working on now. More contrasty and using the brighter feathers. Not perfect, but trying. That is the older style above them.

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #599 on: August 04, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
Boy I can't wait for this hunt to get cracking. I am shooting up a storm with my Hill and Surewood arrows Snag made me.

I am going to get a few dozen from Fletcher too and then probably get into making wood arrows again for myself.

I used to make all my own 30 years ago, now I will soon have time to myself again to be able to build. You guys are firing me up to build again too. I sold all my old wood arrow making tools, time to buy new toys, again! I hate when that happens, ha!    

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©