3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt  (Read 69551 times)

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt
« Reply #780 on: January 06, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
seems to  me that critters are going to be driven anyway...with all these hunters walking around.I think some well organized spot and stalk type hunts in key locations will prove to be successful.A team like effort?  :dunno:

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #781 on: January 06, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
I have the DNR maps for Ocmulgee and Oaky Woods, but can someone local give those of us coming from the north directions to the campground?  I'll be taking I-75 form Michigan pretty much all the way down, and then it looks like US341/GA11 South to get to Hawkinsville.  But how do I get from that neck of the woods to the Ocmulgee WMA campsite?  You could PM me but I'll bet many others would also benefit from the info.  Thanks.

Also, since my non-resident 3 day license will be a hunting/fishing combo, does anyone know what the fishing is like in the river there by the campground?  What species, if any, is likely to be caught?
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #782 on: January 06, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Are there still openings left for the adventure?  If so what is the exact location?  What do I have to do to sign up?  What are the costs to me?

Please email me

Tom

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #783 on: January 06, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
O.K.  Upon further Mapquest searching, it looks like 23 South towards Royal, GA is more direct.  Then from 23, I would take Red Dog Farm Rd. to Magnolia Rd. to Check Station Rd. (I believe someone said the campground was near the check station).  Am I in the right ballpark?

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #784 on: January 06, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
Hi Tom,

I'm sure one of the hunt organizers will chime in when they see your inquiry, but below is a synopsis of the notes I've taken from this thread:

Hill Gang Hog Hunt

Dates: 2/22, 2/23, 2/24 of 2013.

The bow should be of a Hill Style, being straight-limbed, reflexed or string-follow.

Primitive camping (no restrooms) on Ocmulgee WMA on the tract near the check station, unless the river floods.  If it does we will camp across the river on Oaky Woods because there is more high ground there.  We will not know till the hunt is close, but they are so close together it won’t be a problem.  

Ocmulgee WMA is 17,370 acres, close by is Oaky Woods WMA 13,240 acres.  Ocmulgee check station is located at 32 27.144N    83 28.182 W
Maps of Ocmulgee and Oaky woods are visible here:
 http://georgiawildlife.com/maps/hunting/region4

The Ocmulgee River splits the two WMAs in places.  Depends on River stage as far as float hunting goes.  If you wanted to hunt Oaky woods you could canoe straight across the River to save a 30 mile drive.

Recommend getting licenses on line beforehand WMA license $73.00
3 Day non-resident hunting license $20.00

In February it will be also small game season, so you guys bring your Flu-Flu's. RC said there's lots of squirrels.

I would expect it to be in the 20s at night and highs in the 50s.

It would be mostly spot and stalk for hogs and small game, unless you bring a treestand.

Bring a Thermacell and good walking shoes as well as a pair of rubber boots.  Snakes are active anytime of year here on sunny days above 50 degrees or so.  Just be careful and watch where you step and you will be fine.

Those GA swamps can get you turned around. It would be a good idea to have a GPS and/or compass.

A map for those in other states who might want to carry a concealed firearm in GA:  http://www.georgiapacking.org/gflr.php

You can get wood from the WMA as long as its already down.  Woodstoves are cool. No generators after dark.  Camping only in designated areas.  No ATVs or driving on walk- in roads for any reason.

You quarter and pack out.  This is not a managed hunt.  After deer season when small game is in you pretty much have the run of the place.

There is a Lake there that is man made and 88 acres that 10 lb bass are caught and released regularly. Not to mention Bream and cats.  So if you get tired of walking....you can fish.

Highway 96 east out of Bonaire. Oaky Woods is on the west side of the river and Oakmulgee is on the east side. HWY 96 runs across the northern end of the WMA's.

Probably the closest town to Ocmulgee is Hawkinsville.  There is a nearby Country store for ice, sodas and stuff.  It is also a meat processer and sells smoked meat.

In really cold temps I never see pork till after 10:00 then all day is good. I usually sleep in and hunt from 11 till dark on very cold days.

I’ve not spent a lot of time on Oaky Woods but have seen pigs every time I’ve been there but once.  The locals I know say it has more hogs but is a bit tougher because it has more hills and thick cover.  For a slow-hunting, patient hunter this could be good.

For you Topo map folks, I believe Ocmulgee is on the USGS Maps named Westlake GA (product #248204), and Tarversville, GA (248273).  Oaky Wood (248165) and (248189)

No hunter orange is required. Deer season is over then.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #785 on: January 06, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Knapper:
Are there still openings left for the adventure?  If so what is the exact location?  What do I have to do to sign up?  What are the costs to me?

Please email me

Tom
Tom-

There's definitely room, all the info has been covered on this thread. If you have any questions send me a pm. They may have some tradgang members already coming from your area that may want to carpool.

Hope to see you there,
Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #786 on: January 06, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
Thanks Darren

Tom

Offline T-D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #787 on: January 06, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
The campground is on the left as soon as you turn into the rd to the check station. It looks clean and plenty of room.  There is also a pond in the center of the campground. I don't know if there are any fish in it. Hopes this helps
Resident Hog Slayer

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #788 on: January 06, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
The more you guys talk about this hunt and the more details I hear, the more pumped-up I get.I plan on staying down there and camping and hunting and fishing for at least a week, so I am phic'd. Can't wait to meet all my Trad Gang friends and make some life long memories.I haven't had a vacation in a
very long time, so that fact just feeds the fire.
     yeee haaaaaaaa!
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #789 on: January 07, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Even if the River floods Ocmulgee has plenty of high ground and the camp ground will not flood. If it does south Ga, is in a heap of trouble.
  The 88 acre lake has been drained to fix a leak so no fishing there but some of the best pig hunting is between the lake and the river. The small pond on at the campground has bream and such in it along with a few bass. the river has a lot of fish but river stage will have a lot to do with catching them . Bream crappie catfish bass etc. The World record bass was caught in a slew down River on horse creek WMA.

Hawkin1911 did an outstanding job of summing things up. I nothing happens I hope to go there next week for a day hunt. I`ll take a lot of pics.
Darren has done an outstanding job of lining this up. It is his Idea and follow through . I just threw an idea of a place to have it. Public land hogs are not easy but get killed with stickbows there every year. Beautiful country with MUCH Native American History. You will be hunting where Indians hunted Many Years ago and will find eveidence to prove it. It is unlawful to remove artifacts by the way.RC

Offline Knapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #790 on: January 07, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
Hi Darren:

I guess I should have stated that I want you to sign me up.  I am looking forward to the adventure.  

Thanks for all the information.

Tom

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #791 on: January 07, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
Is there a cost for camping and do we need reservations?

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #792 on: January 07, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
Tom

I'll add your name the first page, we're having some really nice Hilll shirts made for the hunt. If you want one contact Jeff Schultz, he's collecting the money and having the shirts made.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #793 on: January 07, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
No cost for camping. It is all primitive .

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #794 on: January 07, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
Well I can't believe it, I think I am the only person not going. The real kicker is my last name is HILL!!  :biglaugh:  I need to try to get to this hunt one day.
USMC 82-86

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #795 on: January 08, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
ttt
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #796 on: January 09, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
Bought my Licnese on line just now.  Guess I have to go now or my money will be wasted  ;)
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #797 on: January 12, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
Man I was real busy after Sandy and thought I missed the hunt. I haven't shot in two months. I better start practicing again.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #798 on: January 12, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gil Verwey:
Man I was real busy after Sandy and thought I missed the hunt. I haven't shot in two months. I better start practicing again.

Gil
Im in the same boat sort of.  I injured my middle finger on my shooting hand beginning of Dec. and just as it got healed up nice I had to run about the country going to holiday this and wedding that.  I have not shot in over a month.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #799 on: January 12, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
On another note, in the next couple of days Im going to be sending out PMs to everyone who I understand to be attending the Hog Hunt to ask them about the bows they are bringing.  If you do not want to respond that is fine.  This is just a list of bows that will be there so folks will know and could potentially have a go with IF the owner is OK with such a thing.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©