3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt  (Read 69538 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2013 Hill Gang Hog Hunt
« Reply #820 on: January 19, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
Campgrounds are probably a mile from the River. The pond by the campground is very small. The 88 acre lake has been drained to fix a leak in the dam.About the only place to put a canoe in the River would be at the public landing.
 The larger campground is near the check station.It is the one I would use simply for the size the other is only an acre or so.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #821 on: January 19, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Damn, I wish they hadn't drained that lake. I planed on doing some fishing after I kill a few hogs LOL. The river will have to do.I plan on getting to Okmulgee on Monday if anyone cares to join me.Making a vacation out of it.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #822 on: January 20, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I plan on arriving at the campground on Wednesday, and some of my fellow St. Hubert's Rangers who live in Georgia will be meeting me, just for that afternoon.  As of Thursday I'll be in full HH mode though  :)    :archer:

Unfortunately, due to the time of year, the trip will be weather dependant for me, and probably for other northerners as well.  Even light snow/ice can slow freeway driving to a crawl, and with at least a 28 hour round trip involved (in the best conditions) I will be paying close attention to the forecast before hitting the road.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a continued mild winter.
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #823 on: January 21, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »
I hear ya Hawkin, I'm looking at about 15 to 17 hrs down and the same back. Thats one reason I'm leaving early. I decided it would be better to make it a two day trip. Just too long a drive for one day and then have to set up a tent once there. Have to take it easy on my not so young torso with all that driving.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #824 on: January 21, 2013, 06:36:00 AM »
13hrs here and will lose and hour going.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #825 on: January 21, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »
Regarding Darren's Howard Hill Hog Hunt DVD post:

After nearly a year of planning, this was only brought up a few days ago, and there was only one response to the idea.  I personally don't care for it; it seems to take away from the spirit of what I thought this hunt was all about.  I've been on a group hunt where someone showed up with a bunch small video cameras that he mounted to hunters’ hats and wrists, etc., so he could 'capture the experience', and it was just awkward.  Many hunters were immediately self-conscious about being recorded, some tried to be overly funny or witty, and in general people either hammed it up for cameras or tried to avoid them.  In any case, the hunt was way less natural, and less fun and relaxing than it should have been.

The HH hunt is going to be significant socially, and perhaps historically.  Of course people will be taking personal photos and videos occasionally, and I’m hoping we’ll get everyone together for a gig group shot.  But if the goal now is for as many people as possible to bring video cameras to capture as much quality footage as possible with the intent of producing and marketing a DVD, I think it will make the hunt much different than it would have been.  I think people running around trying to capture every little thing on camera, and recording information constantly so everyone who appears in a potential DVD shares the profits sounds too much like a big hassle and too much like business for my tastes.  I can honestly say if this idea had been thrown out there from the start as the goal of this hunt I wouldn’t have even considered joining.

I understand why the thought of creating a DVD of the hunt sounds cool, but again, from my personal experience of a hunt and camp being recorded, it will change the atmosphere of the whole thing, and it will take something away from the purity of the experience and the camaraderie that I’ve been so looking forward to.  That is just my humble opinion, for what it is worth.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #826 on: January 21, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
Good Luck fellows.  Bring back some stories.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #827 on: January 21, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
Looking forward to the campfire and meeting and visiting with all of you.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #828 on: January 21, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Hawkin, Sounds logical, My intuition says your most probably right.We should keep it a natural experience, if that makes sense.I think snapping pics and a group photo or short personal videos should be sufficient.I would think time would be a limiting factor if everyone is hunting during the day. I know that I'll be hunting, and that won't include a camera stuck in my face.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #829 on: January 21, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
I ment to add that I understand Darren's Idea which I agree is a good thought, but you you bring up a valid point also. I'm sure we can all come to some concensus as to what is appropriate.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #830 on: January 21, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
For issues beyond my control (work).  I will not be attending this great time.  I am truly sorry was really looking forward to meeting you all.  Let me know how it goes and bring back the fun with pics.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #831 on: January 21, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
That dang work gets in the way of fun!    :(
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #832 on: January 21, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »

Hill Hog Hunt arrows from Craig.

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #833 on: January 21, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Nice Jesus!

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #834 on: January 21, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
Paul-

When I think about all of the great bowhunter's like Howard Hill, Fred Bear, Saxton and Pope, and others, they all left us with pictures/ video that has inspired everyone of us in some way or another.

From the conversation's that I've had already with some of the guys that are going, they all plan on taking pictures.

All I want to do is take those pics and narrate the event. Kinda like the hunts that Howard did in the Mojave desert, on the Sirocco, and on Catalina Island.

In my opinion, if we can capture pics/ video of our hunt, it could inspire a new generation of traditional bowhunters.

It was never my intention to market the DVD to get rich, that's why I said, if we make anything then it would be divided amongst the group.

I think what we're doing is awesome, we're hunt fair chase game, promoting public hunting, and traditional bowhunting.

I would also like to do 4 more hunts, one a year in a different part of North America. So as a group of Hill Hunters we can hunt the North American Big 5.

This would also bring the hunt closer to the folks that want to join us and meet everyone.
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #835 on: January 21, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
double post
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #836 on: January 21, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
double post
Darren

[email protected]

Howard Hill

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #837 on: January 21, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
Hi Darren,

I didn’t mean to imply there was anything nefarious on your part by making that suggestion.  I completely understand the honorable intent, and I agree that in a way a DVD about the hunt would be cool.

I just wanted to state my concern that the atmosphere of the hunt will probably be different than it could be if people are on a mission to capture as many photos and videos as possible.  As I stated before, that sort of thing made another hunt I was on very awkward.

But hey, mine is just one man’s opinion.  I’m fine with it if that’s what everyone wants to do.  I’ll just be one of those guys avoiding the cameras.  ( I have to listen to my witness protection case officer’s instructions.)  ;)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #838 on: January 21, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
If any DVD sales take place, what about St. Jude Children's Research Hospital as the benefactor? Minus material costs and shipping costs, of course.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #839 on: January 21, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
It might be a good Idea to have a short meeting with everyone the first evening ( friday ) were we can all discuss any concerns/ plans/ camp rules,ect. There maybe other concerns such as Hawken very eloquently pointed out.That way everyone should be able to have a good time without infringing on another's good time.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©