3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: silvertip non.FF  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: silvertip non.FF
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 06:51:00 AM »
One other point Jerry........ I know there are several folks on here with solid background knowledge on Silvertips but don't hesitate to ask Bob Palmer,  he's been shooting Schafer bows for well over 25 years and I don't believe I've ever seen him with another brand.  He's a great guy who knows how to set them up!

Offline floodman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
Im with ya Tim..Dave im sure knows his stuff,but Im able tp pick up a Non FF Silvertip,with Horn tips,but its rated for Dacron..I guess how did i get by with 20 plus self bows,using no re-inforcment and shooting 6 strand FF and no breakage,must be that duct Tape backing....

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
You're waaay tooooo kind Tim   :rolleyes:   Maybe you are crazy   :biglaugh:
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
I know Joe Vt mentioned the use of endless loop dacron strings, probably 14 strand.  They are also a nice option.  They don't tend to stretch quite as much as the flemish dacron and do have a nice feel.  I know Mike Fedora and Dan Toeke both prefer them on their recurves.  Just a thought...

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
i used to do the opposite. i'd shoot dacron on my FF schafer. i now shoot FF only because i dropped some wgt and could use a little extra performance.

i would shoot whatever dave recommends, although i'm sure the bow is durable enough to shoot FF or dacron. the DW risers are very strong and alot has to do w/ draw weight. i wouldn't do it w/ 80#'s but anything under 60 i think you'd be ok.

each bowyer has their reasons for doing things and dave is as talented and knowledgeable as anyone. for example, mike hays from black canyon won't make a 3pc w/o dymondwood.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
I have a nonFF tip it had dacron on it when I got it I hated the way this bow shot or felt and it was the slowest beautiful bow I had ever shot. I talked to Beth and did some research and I just could not take it any more I put fastflight on it and then put a 8 strand SBD string on it. I could not believe the difference this made to this bow it was not even close to the same bow. It felt great in the hand and man o man did it increase in speed when I got this bow it shot a 400gr arrow 157 fps after I got done working with it it will now shoot a 517gr arrow 170 fps at my draw now that is a good enough reasion for me to shoot FF! I have had no bad effects from shooting FF none and I would not keep or shot this bow if I could not shoot FF on it. Your results may vary from mine but I would think about trying FF if it were my bow.   Widow

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the input Darren (widow sax) we've finally heard from a person that has actually shot a FF string on a non-FF Tip w/o the "the thing blowing-up".  

In the first post of this thread, I mention the virtues of a low stretch string (Brownell Fast Flight, DynaFLIGHT 97, BCY 450, etc.) and your opinion is consistent.  I have used these strings on old "crap" recurves w/o incident as well.  I would like to see Blacky Schwartz conduct a test to dispel some of these myths surrounding these materials.

Kris

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
I have trouble understanding why all bowyers don't make there bows suitable for fast flight standard surely the difference in cost is not that great in the overall costs of building a bow.Then people can shoot what ever string they prefer.I also find it hard to understand why the riser has to be dymanwood
when so many other bowyer have no trouble with good quality exotic hard woods.

Offline floodman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
as I understand all dave is doing is reinforcing the riser..How many risers blow up..it would be the limb tips that would concern me,but if there is horn on the tips would that not be enough..

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
While a non ff Tip may shoot good with a ff string, is it worth it if it is under warranty? If it breaks then the warranty is void. If warranty is up then it is up to the owner to take the chance I suppose. I am not willing to take that chance on my beautiful "Lovepotion #9". I have compared the limbs and tips of it as well as my ff Tip and cannot see a difference but it is not marked ff therefore it will keep a 14 strand B50 on it.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
I'm sorry...widow sax, you went from 157 to 170 FPS by using a FF string and a heavier arrow   :saywhat:  I really have a hard time comprehending that. Most cases I hear gains of 2-5 FPS with the same arrow.Not saying it didn't happen ....but!!!   :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
Most of the anecdotal evidence/small experiments I've read about, including a few in TBM over the years, report speed gains of 5-10% for fast flite over dacron.  That's significant.  I shoot fast flite on all my bows now, including some old Bears. IMO, if the loops are padded, fast flight is easier on a bow than dacron because it reduces the severe limb vibration at the end of the shot, which in turn puts less stress on the riser.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Hey Jon,

That's what I mentioned earlier,  ff can cut right through the string groves.   Wow.....

My buddy was shooting his Toelke Lynx through the chrono this morning.   7 fps difference between a skinny 8 strand d10 string and a 14 strand Dacron endless loop.  Just for those who have an interest.    :dunno:

tim

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
Hey Jon,

That's what I mentioned earlier,  ff can cut right through the string groves.   Wow.....

Tim

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
It all has to do with the shape of the nocks. Those old square corners wont take a ff string. Heck years ago I broke one limb tip with square corners with a b50 string.I find it hard to believe that a silver tip riser(regardless of material) wont take the stress of a FF string. Every other riser out there does...no problem. I wouldn't buy a bow that couldnt shoot FF anymore. To each there own though.
SL

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
Yeah I just don't want this to happen to anybody's bow. I would like to try FF sometime, but not on the Silvertips I have now. I'll make sure it is FF compatible. Thanks Tim!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
I guess if Dave says not to use FF on my bow...I'm not going to use it! Mine shoots just fine with B-50 or B-55 !!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline floodman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
Who Has both..I will in a week but until then,What,, if any, vibration,Bounce,ect would you feel on a FF vs Non FF..Maybe it has to do with the lenghth of the limbs,I bought a Dale Dye,with 62" limbs dacron,After the shot I stll had Sea legs,For most of you folks like me,who buy a bow every day,you can feel what the bow is going to do by just plucking the string..It's like the limbs are pre-stresses and when you shout it No Vibrating thru the limbs..Let me know wht you feel with the 2 if any..maybe im just over-thinking this..Im liking what Orion is saying..

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
FF or not ff they will outlast most of us!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©