3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: mild R/D vs straight limbed LB?  (Read 312 times)

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
mild R/D vs straight limbed LB?
« on: February 10, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
I am shooting a 69 inch mild R/D older Sky longbow very well. I love the stability and cannot shoot any of my recurves or hybrids nearly as well for some reason...

Anyway, those that know, what differences will there be from this bow compared to a straight limb Hill style??  I have never shot a Hill style, but I am interested.

Also, what are the differences between string follow vs backset straight limbed....?

thanks,

Greg

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: mild R/D vs straight limbed LB?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
A long R/D longbow like the Sky is very stable, accurate, and mostly lacking in handshock.  I have a 66" Sky Rogue and it's one of the earliest and best of the "hybrids".

I recently ordered a Hill Tembo with string follow.  The grip requires my adjustment in shooting and the speed is slower for the same weight.  I also notice more handshock in the Hill...but not much.  

Just try shooting a Hill before buying, but if you're like most of us, it just "feels right" to own and shoot one.
Lon Scott

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
Interesting, thanks Blackhawk.  The grip change I was prepared for.  Increased handshock is interesting as I think my sky trophy has quite a bit compared to other types of bows.  I do shoot a quite heavy draw at 63 pounds with it and I think it is on the slow side with a heavy douglas fir arrow.

Now I am very curious to shoot a Hill and see for myself.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
I'm aware of the Trophy model but never shot one, so cannot comment on its handshock.  

I opted for the string follow feature on my Tembo after reading some TG comments about decreased shock. As for grip, I ordered Craig's "pistol grip" instead of the straight handle version since I've been shooting many hybrids with a similar grip.
Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©