3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String help  (Read 486 times)

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
String help
« on: February 10, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall. I've done several searches, but still can't decide

I built a string jig and am going to order some spools of string and attempt to make a few strings for myself.  The problem I'm having is decided which material to buy.  I've only bought a few strings b/c I usually just shoot whatever comes with the bow.  Now that I'm shooting more (and not buying/trading so much), some of my strings are starting to wear out.  I'll probably start off with 3 or 4 1/8# spools in different colors.

The main qualities I look for in a string are quietness and durability.  2 or 3 extra FPS doesn't matter to me.  I'm looking for some honest feedback from people who have tried the different materials.

My choices are:
D97 - $17 spool
8125G - $28
BCY Trophy - $30

Do you all seem to notice any major differences between d97 and the newer stuff?  I know each bow will shoot different materials with slightly different results, but I'm just looking for generalazations here.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String help
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
:banghead:

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
D97 has too much creep. I like D10 better
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
I was in your same boat a couple years ago and bought 8125 and proceeded to make strings for several bows regular and skinny (8 strand) - I like it.  Then last year with a new bow I got a couple spools of D10 and made a couple skinny strings including a 6 strand - I like it too.  The D10 appears to have less stretch and settles in faster but both materials shoot just fine.  I probably have 2-3000 shots on the 8125 string and maybe half than on the D10 so far.  The biggest difference I've seen is going to 6 or 8 strands (depending on your bow wt).  Not sure what skinny does for speed but they sure quiet the bow down.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
I can find D10 for sale, but I didn't see the it listed on the BCY site.  Has it been discontinued?

I guess I should have added it into the poll.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
I really like Dynaflight '97 and 8125G--been using them for years.

I never tried Dynaflight 10--I think it's discontinued now anyway.

I haven't used Trophy either--I have 450+, and there's very little difference in the two.

I have been experimenting with the 8190, and so far I am impressed.  I've only shot it on a longbow so far, but others are trying it on recurves.

It's a very small diameter material.  That will work out good for folks that like "skinny" strings--you can get a small diameter string without having to go with a very low strand count.  I'm shooting 12 strands on my longbow now, and it's similar in size to 6-8 strands of Dynaflight '97.

Very low creep, very quiet.  If you prefer a larger string, just use more strands--18-20.

If I keep getting the same results, I'll be carrying the 8190 soon.

As for your question about any major differences...depends on what you call "major".

Dynaflight 10 is (was) SK78 Dyneema.

Dynaflight '97 and 8125G are SK75 Dyneema.

8190 is SK90 Dyneema.  

Other than the strand diameter, I haven't seen what I'd call a "major" difference--comparing apples to apples (I built them all).  The 8190 has very low stretch/creep.  Dynaflight '97 and 8125G also have very low stretch/creep, unless you go too low with the strand count.  8190 has less, but not a huge difference.

I don't think you could go wrong with Dynaflight '97, 8125, or 8190 for your personal use.

Chad

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
My two recurves have come with D97 and when I've replaced the strings, the new strings are made out of D97 too.

Yes, it does stretch, but it doesn't stretch that much.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
MATT...............You NAILED it...........
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
I really like fast flight plus on all my fast flight capable bows. It doesn't stretch much and is very quiet for a fast flight string. My second choice is B50 as it is safe on all bows and is very quiet.
James Kerr

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
Dont beat your head to hard. Your first few strings (if like me when i first started) will be kind of ruff. I would just get a couple of spools of D97 add start twisting, once you start getting strings you like then you will want to start experimenting.

At this time i use Ultra Cam, thin and very little creep and strong.

Im liking and watching the testing that LBR is doing with the 8190 and am getting the itch to try some.

You cant go wrong with recommendations from LBR, he knows strings.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
P.S. I just checked my stash and have a 1/4# spool of D97 that i know i wont use, you are welcome to it to get you started, PM me you address and i send it out to you.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
I went from B50 to D97 on to D75 thin over to 452x and now use trophy , I like the trophy alot low stretch and thin , quiet and durable
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice everyone!  I'm glad and thankful to be a member here.

Thanks for the offer Rick.  Sent you a PM.  Let me know if there's anything I can send you in return.  I really appreciate it.  If they turn out half decent I'll donate a few strings to pay it forward.  Like you said, once I can make a good one, I'll experiment with some of the other types.  Any further advice is welcomed if anyone has anything to add.

Offline foudarme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBR:
I really like Dynaflight '97 and 8125G--been using them for years.

I never tried Dynaflight 10--I think it's discontinued now anyway.

I haven't used Trophy either--I have 450+, and there's very little difference in the two.

I have been experimenting with the 8190, and so far I am impressed.  I've only shot it on a longbow so far, but others are trying it on recurves.

It's a very small diameter material.  That will work out good for folks that like "skinny" strings--you can get a small diameter string without having to go with a very low strand count.  I'm shooting 12 strands on my longbow now, and it's similar in size to 6-8 strands of Dynaflight '97.

Very low creep, very quiet.  If you prefer a larger string, just use more strands--18-20.

If I keep getting the same results, I'll be carrying the 8190 soon.

As for your question about any major differences...depends on what you call "major".

Dynaflight 10 is (was) SK78 Dyneema.

Dynaflight '97 and 8125G are SK75 Dyneema.

8190 is SK90 Dyneema.  

Other than the strand diameter, I haven't seen what I'd call a "major" difference--comparing apples to apples (I built them all).  The 8190 has very low stretch/creep.  Dynaflight '97 and 8125G also have very low stretch/creep, unless you go too low with the strand count.  8190 has less, but not a huge difference.

I don't think you could go wrong with Dynaflight '97, 8125, or 8190 for your personal use.

Chad
chad what is the breaking strength for the 8190?

Offline 2elkhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
I make my strings for my Bob Lee's out of D97,I prestretch all my strings on my streching jig I made from Doing The Twist video. Once I put them on and set the brace height it stays there.I'm only shooting 50#s though.I really like the D97 its tough and quiet on my bows.
Bill

Bear Hodiak Hunter
Bear Custom Kodiak TD

Why settle for LESS!!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
"chad what is the breaking strength for the 8190?"

I don't know--BCY doesn't publish breaking strengths anymore.

I can only guess based on what was given for SK75 (Dynaflight '97 and 8125) and SK98 (Dynaflight 10).

Dynaflight '97 was rated at 125# (approximately).  8125 was rated at 120# (smaller diameter strand).

According to Ray Browne at BCY, Dynaflight 10 was approximately 20% stronger than Dynaflight '97--SK75 to SK78.  Based on that, my guess is even though the strand is about 1/2 the diameter of Dynaflight '97, the 8190 should have about the same strength.

That's just my guess--nothing more.  It is strong, and durable, with very low stretch/creep.  I think it's going to make some of the other materials obsolete.

Chad

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
I contacted BCY and asked about D10 being discontinued.

I got a response from Ray saying they still have it available but it's being phased out.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©