3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What are some of your cold weather techniques?  (Read 472 times)

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
What are some of your cold weather techniques?
« on: February 11, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
During todays squirrel hunt (temp@14 degrees). I was wondering what techniques you use to keep warm. Heres a few of mine:
- When its brutally cold, I wrap a scarf around my mid section. Learned this in the USAF while guarding B52s/KC135s@-50 degrees below zero.
- When I carry my bow, I keep my bow hand knuckles next to my wool vest.
- I carry a spandex Balaclava with me. (this is a love/hate item because I dont like anything on my face)
- I always drink a glass of water or cup of tea before I go out.
Have a great day!!
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What are some of your cold weather techniques?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
well for my feet hot moc boot covers, i can wear light weight boots and throw these on with a hand warmer or 2 in each bootie and they get hot and stay that way. its very amazing how well that works and has kept me on stand on brutal days. i think everyone should try it. you will be amazed and glad you did.

keep your neck and face covered as much as possible is huge help. and i have also found that i stay warmer by standing as apposed to sitting down.

use a heavy vest as a layer to keep your core warm and you wont have the bulk around your arm pits and arms to impend your draw.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
When it gets brutally cold I usually do all my hunting beside the fireplace.Did it when I was younger ain't doing it now!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Ron La C;air sell the longhunter shirt that goes past your but, its made from blanket wool and is an ideal piece of clothing to wear when cold hunting.Check it out.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
For me, a hot pack(chemical handwarmer) on the back of my neck is more important than toe warmers. It is my weak spot, keep this area warm on me and I can take quite a bit of abuse. Thanks to my Uncle who pointed this out, he has the same issue.
David M. Conroy

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
Above zero, I don't do anything special except dress warm.  Do wear a muff to keep my hands warm.  

When it gets brutally cold, i.e., below zero a lot, I do like cbCrow.  Been there.  Done that.  Now, when it's brutally cold outside, I sit in my cabin with the doors open on my Franklin stove, smoke a stogie and sip on a whiskey.  Makes me all warm and tingly. There's a time and place for everything.    :bigsmyl:

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Wool, chemical Warner's, or baked potato in foil still hot in your coat pocket, hard boiled eggs do good to and give you a snack. Layer up.  I start with silk long underwear, then wool long underwear, then polypropylene long underwear, wool shirt over that with wool pants, if real cold wool KOM trapper. Oh, wool scarf and wool beanie knitted by my wife.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Above zero, I don't do anything special except dress warm.  Do wear a muff to keep my hands warm.  

When it gets brutally cold, i.e., below zero a lot, I do like cbCrow.  Been there.  Done that.  Now, when it's brutally cold outside, I sit in my cabin with the doors open on my Franklin stove, smoke a stogie and sip on a whiskey.  Makes me all warm and tingly. There's a time and place for everything.     :bigsmyl:  
Yeah, I'm liking the sound of this! If you have the extra energy...go after 'em!
 If not, damn enjoy yourself while you can people!!!!
David M. Conroy

Offline Blkbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Some of the chemical warmers have an adhesive backing (body or toe warmers).  On really cold days I stick one on each side of my base layer (merino wool) right over my kidneys. The warmer is not touching my skin but stuck to the base layer.Then dress accordingly.

It really helps me when sitting in treestand on a cold day.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
heater body suit

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
I've posted this self taken picture before, but here I am a while back in a portable treestand during a storm at -34 (not counting wind chill).

Several pair of underwear, boot covers, a hand muff, lots of wool and the technique is called survival.

Walking out that evening, a policeman picked me up on the side of the road. As he was driving me to my vehicle he called in with his radio and announced that he had just picked up a "crazy gentleman" bowhunting!

May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
I put a layer or two under my arctic shield bibs and jacket. depends on just how cold it is. also I keep my boots on a boot dryer the night before. cold feet will make you go home before anything. also dont forget those armguards when you wear bulky clothes.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
I'm assuming you mean on stand, moving around I never have trouble staying warm.  Sitting on stand though, that's another story.  Since I perspire easily I carry as much of my clothing in as possible, sometimes even change my base layer when I get to my tree or blind.   If I can avoid getting all sweated up I'm in pretty good shape.  Clothing consists of merino wool, wool sweaters, bibs, jacket and most important of all, neck gaiter and good hat.  No secrets there.  I stay home when the clothing required to keep me warm makes shooting impractical.  Then I like the idea of warm indoor activities for the evening.

Aside from good clothing, I do isometric exercises while on stand.  I stand up as much as possible because I find it much warmer than sitting.  You use more muscles and it's muscular activity that generates heat.  I will do   slow half squats, just a few inches and hold.  Not enough to generate noise or be busted for movement.  It's surprising how fast you warm up with just a little bit of exercise.

Offline Norminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
I'm with Orion and some of the other "mature" woodsman. lol
Creature comforts win out over most anything else  nowadays.
Guys like Ken Taylor have my sincere admiration but unlike what York sais, if I have to put on three sets of long johns,
I'm stayin home.
Norm from Canuckistan

45#,50#,55#,56" Bear Grizzlies
45#,54#,52" Bear Kodiak Magnum
55#,58" Vintage Works 62 Kodiak
55#,62" Tomahawk

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Double layer of wool underwear, it works better than extra bulky top layers.......EAT!EAT!EAT!.....your body generates heat breaking down food and also provides calories needed for heat......HOT WETS, Hot chicken noodle/broth in the thermos, a couple swigs when sitting still to help keep your core warm......
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
Ken that view is awesome and even worth a cop thinking your a crazy gentleman!!!    :biglaugh:
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
Hunt close to the fire pit
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
Rustic,
 You're right on with the point about hydration. Back in my mountaineering days staying hydrated kept you warmer, longer. Good hunting!
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
I carry all my outerlayers, and always change everything down to the underwear i wear in. Damp underlayers will send you to the truck. That and KOM wool pants shirt and beavertail vest and Im good for anyhting ive run into. Thats how I do it. I kept my daughter warm using the therma care heat wraps for people with back problems. There like a giant chemical warmer inside a thin elastic belt that you can velcro around you. I put one on her kidneys and one around her chest and you could feel the heat coming out the top of her coat.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©