3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Airline Fees?  (Read 150 times)

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Airline Fees?
« on: February 11, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
How much extra does it cost to fly with an oversized piece of luggage (one piece longbow) versus just packing a takedown in your regular suitcase.
James Kerr

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Airline Fees?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
It can vary significantly by airline.  You need to check each airline's fees, or at least the airline you are using.  I saw rates last summer of $50 to $200 for an item over 63 inches in length.  You may want to consider shipping by USPS or UPS to your destination a head of time, or carry a takedown in your luggage.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
Depends on the airline, but Qantas charges $30 for a second checked bag.  I only travel with a takedown these days, all my gear goes in one backpack.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:55:00 AM »
it's always best to ship a one piece bow if you can. extra luggage charges are bad enough, over size is outrageous!

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 01:26:00 AM »
T/D Titan back and forth to Italy. Fits in my suitcase, as do arrows. No charge. Oversize is big bucks each way.
Marco

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 02:37:00 AM »
My bow is 62" long AMO so about what do you think would be the oversize charge?
James Kerr

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 06:26:00 AM »
It was 125.00 last year flying delta for oversize baggage. which to them was anything over sixty two inches I believe.  My bow case, a pvc pipe, was under by four inches and they still tried to charge me because they said it was  "awkward baggage"  I suppose referring to the idea that it would be hard to carry or maneuver a piece of pvc pipe less than five feet long that weighed thirty eight pounds!  Apparently that is a lot for the delta baggage handlers to have to deal with. I won the fight but not without a struggle. Plan on lots of hassle and delays and extra expense if flying delta with a long bow case.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,  Our trip was worth it but after that experience we are going to make every attempt to limit ourselves to hunting in the united states where we can drive to our destination.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
without a doubt, if you fly out a even a few times a year, you really need to invest in a t/d.  well worth convenience and peace of mind.  if the fly-ins are rare, for those times definitely ship ahead - flight time cargo charges for bows are just ridiculous.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
What airline?  I can check several when I am at work tomorrow.  We have tons of skis and snowboards going thru these days.  I never thought about shipping my 66 inch bow in a beefed up ski carrier.
You might want to look into putting your bow in PVC tube then in the ski bag

I won't go into how bagge gets treated behind the wall, but PAD your bow
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Thanks guys I am thinking about ordering a new 3 piece legacy series Tomahawk and have never flown with a bow but was trying to get an idea of what it cost generally with a one piece.
James Kerr

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
I pushed the issue with Jet Blue and they allowed my ridiculously large SKB double recurve case as sporting goods equipment without any extra charge.  

They allow skis and golfbags without any charge so my point was they should do the same with a bow case.  Didnt have any issues.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
I buy a lot of bows(vintage)here and collect them since i come back in Italy.I store from 8 up to 16 bows into 2 Sky bags wrapped together and I pay from $ 0 t0 $ 50 depending of the time of the year for the 2nd bag.A real deal if you consider that a one piece costs some $100 via UPS!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
My HH from Craig, from Montana to Calif. was $23 in a PVC tube USPS. Just to give you an idea..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©