3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: best value in a flashlight?  (Read 428 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
best value in a flashlight?
« on: February 12, 2012, 06:09:00 AM »
What is the best flashlight for the money for blood tracking in your opinion? Thanks for responding!
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: best value in a flashlight?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
I never had any luck with the special blood tracking lights. I do however love the energizer triple beam headlamp. Best light for the money IMHO. I even bought everyone that hunts in my family one for x-mas. Energizer added a bunch of new products after some military contracts and it shows.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
Fenix FD30, if you get one you will "see". Well worth the money if you "use" a flashlight.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
I have a Streamlight and a Surefire. Both under $50....the Streamlight is much better and brighter...lasts longer, too. You can find it on Amazon decently priced.

I happened to pick a bunch of these up as part of the gift set for the groomsmen in my wedding. They always tell me how much like the light better than anything else I got them.

Streamlight ProTac 2L Professional Tactical

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88031-Tactical-Flashlight-Batteries/dp/B00396S1Q2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329063465&sr=8-2

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
For blood trailing - the Fenix from Brothers of the Bow (Wensels) hands down best compact light I've seen.  Great light, and great battery life.
For field dressing chores once you find him, a Petzl headlamp can't be beat.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
My favorite is the Browning Hunt master....I've been through a lot of flashlights, but this is the one that's in my pack when I hunt.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/flashlights/detail.asp?fid=050H&cid=371&tid=1236&bg=x

Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
Favorite is the LED LENSER P7. I also use the light a coon hunter uses, the one that has a 6v battery that hangs from your belt and a power cord to the lamp that I hold in my hand, you can also adjust the beam strength to a lower setting with the rheostat on the lamp to save batteries when spore is plentiful. Fenix FD 30 is also a very good light.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Fenix from brothers of the bow check out the sponsors listing check out the utube comparisons. As a tactical army major with 23 years of field experience I used to be a surefire guy now I'm a fenix guy.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
I bought a MiniMag light back in the early '80s and it has been attached to my fanny pack with a lanyard since. I replace the batteries each your and the bulb only once since then. To me, that is a pretty good value in a flashlight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by LoneWolf73:
Fenix FD30, if you get one you will "see". Well worth the money if you "use" a flashlight.
Totally agree.  I have gone through alot of cheaper flashlights.  I finally broke down and spent the money on this flashlight and man was it worth it.  Unbelievable for such a small light.  I have had so many people ask me what it was and where I got it, when they were with me on tracking jobs.  I got so sick of squinting and straining my eyes with lesser flashlights.  You don't need to worry about that with this one.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
I like my surefire minimus headlamp because it goes from 1-100 lumens by turning the dial.  In a hand-held light I've been very impressed with the maglite xl50.  It was $40, runs off of AAA batteries, 105 lumens, and it has a high, low, and a strobe setting.  Hard to beat for the money.

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
Fenix LD 20. Takes two AA batteries which last a long time, has a clip so I can attach it to the bill of my ball cap. I have two I like them so much.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline vwvectors

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
Surefire makes quality lights & they possess something the others do not they are made in America.
Opinions are like armpits everybody has a couple & they usually stink .

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
My wife just got an LED Lenser H7 headlamp. Has a spot to flood/spot adjuster and a dimmer. It is the brightest headlamp I've ever used. Princeton Tec also makes a nice headlamp.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
I bought a Fenix KT15 light last year. I loved it so much that many of my good friends got them for Christmas.

It runs on 2 photo batteries, has a "daylight" tint to the light, can be as bright as the fires of Hell, and has several levels of luminance. Small enough to pack without hassle, even in a pocket of my pants or shirt.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
I have had great experiences with pelican lights, i want a light that doesnt use "special" batteries, the saberlight i have uses 3 c cells and puts out a very good light for a long time, they are a VERY tough and reliable light
 http://www.pelicanproducts.us/c.Pelican.Medium.Flashlights.html
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
NOTHING I've ever owned compares to the Brothers of the Bow "Main Beam" I got from Uncle Barry a few years ago . . . since then I grabbed another plus several more for family members. I'm still amazed by it.
Gary Logsdon

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »
For cheap try the Rocky LED lights you buy at Sams for 25$ for two flashlights. One thing I like is that they use standard AAA batteries but I'll warn you don't look directly into the light it hurts! Great tracking flashlights. Are they as nice as all the ones mentioned above heck no but for the price they are terrific. But for general chore lighting I also love my Petzl headlamps.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Energizer headlamp with 6 LED Spot to Flood. About $16 at Wally World. I have at least 6-8 of those, in each car in almost each room of the house(in case of a blackout)and two in my hunting pack.
Now, blood is not as eay to spot with LED, so I have a mini-Mag Light in the hunting pack and a large Mag Lite in the hunting truck. Didn't need it in the last 2 year though.
Deer went down in sight.

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
I have used (led) flashlights for tracking and they work pretty well but nothing can beat an old Coleman lantern for tracking in the DARK lights up them BLOOD trails big and small the best.
...Mark

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©