3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Time Hog Hunting Advice- FL  (Read 253 times)

Offline ErikT

• Trad Bowhunter
First Time Hog Hunting Advice- FL
« on: February 12, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
I am leaving this week for the FL panhandle zone D for some hog hunting.  There is reportedly good sign on the property that I will be hunting. I've reviewed all of the shot placement info and looking for any additional advice that cne be offered.

For starters: What time of day is best?  Ground stalking or set up a treestand at a likely looking spot?
www.yankeehunter.com
Hunt much? ©

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Time Hog Hunting Advice- FL
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
For hogs anytime is a good time.  If you have a good spot for a stand early morning and late evening is when you need to be in it.  Mid day you need to move slowly around with your wind in your face and locate them bedding.  I find warm weather easier to find them as they must seek water during the heat of the day.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Ill be watching this one.  

Im going to FL in March on my first hog adventure!    :readit:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline ErikT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
Any takers?
www.yankeehunter.com
Hunt much? ©

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you and Huskyarcher, planning a hunt around Naples right after the TBOF shoot in Silver Springs
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
Ive only been to south texas but most of our hog hunting was at night!
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 04:53:00 AM »
I prefer the evening hunt from the ground, but morning's can be just as good. Their nose works better than their eye's, so be sure to hunt the wind!
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
I have an 800 acre property loaded with nuisance hogs. Mornings are prefered due to sometimes lengthy tracking. I think stillhunting is best unless you are on a good food source. Hogs wander quite a bit. If around open pastures a spot and stalk works well in evenings when it is warm. Use your ears and nose. You will often hear them before you see them. They are vocal and will often tussel with other hogs over food and squeal. They are pungent critters so make like a dog and work the wind . Good luck!
DonD

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
My limited Encounters with hogs has taught me this. Shot placement is key. Don't shoot em like a deer. They constantly move so be patient. As said, their sight is poor and a stalk is very likely. Their noses are premium so hunt the wind. One sniff of you and they are gone!  
They are a blast to hunt so have fun!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline ErikT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
Thanks for the tips!  Keep 'em coming!
www.yankeehunter.com
Hunt much? ©

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 08:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:
My limited Encounters with hogs has taught me this. Shot placement is key. Don't shoot em like a deer. They constantly move so be patient. As said, their sight is poor and a stalk is very likely. Their noses are premium so hunt the wind. One sniff of you and they are gone!  
They are a blast to hunt so have fun!
x2  They don't bleed very much unless you hit the heart.  Even a lung shot can leave a pretty sparse blood trail, and sometimes no blood at all.  The wind is everything.  If you hunt the wind you have a chance.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
I've learned to carry a therm a cell every time I go to the woods or at least put in the truck.  Best time for hogs is early morn and late evening.   I would be doing a lot of practice shooting in low light conditions.   Shot placement is key on the animals.  You want it low and tight to the shoulder blade on a bigger animal.   Scent control is another.   You better make darn sure your scent free on a big hog or he is going to bust you.   These jokers are smarter than most people think.  Hope this helps

good luck

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
Hogs are stalkable, but not stupid.  Play the wind.  Do not be afraid to aggressively close the distance when conditions are right.  Hogs make a lot of noise when they are feeding in a sounder so you can sometimes get away with making noise yourself if you mimic them.  

Don't put too much faith in wallows or rubbed trees.  Hogs are nomadic and may or may not return to those spots.  Hunt the food source.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline hills of texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
wind, wind, wind.  hunt the wind, move slow and pick your shot well.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
You can SOMETIMES get away with a little noise.
You can SOMETIMES get away with a little movement.
You will NEVER EVER beat their nose.

You can run into hogs at anytime but first hour and last hour of day light is prime. Water and food sources.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
If I'm going into a new area and don't know where the hogs are I'll cover as much ground as possible. I don't  worry about sneaking up on them at this point I just want to find some fresh hog root'n, scat or feeding sign. I also am listening and smelling as I go. Hogs squeal and fight a lot especially if there's a gilt or sow in heat. You can also smell where they have been sometimes and especially you can smell an old boar hog.

When I find the fresh sign then I slow down and hunt it.

Offline ErikT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
So, I take it I should pay attention to the wind?    :)
www.yankeehunter.com
Hunt much? ©

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by ErikT:
So, I take it I should pay attention to the wind?     :)  
Ya buddy.

Hoyt had a good point. They smell, i have found and stalked a few hogs buy my nose and dont worry if you catch their sent you will know it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
I would still-hunt if you have not yet identified an obvious food source. If you have several days to hunt put out trails of corn in stalkable areas.

As has been said, you will often hear them before seeing them.Like Gregg said, if you see some get the wind right and close the distance. I've successfully stalked them in wide open pasture by moving when they move and closing the distance quickly when possible.
If there are feeders or a known food source sit in the evenings.
Good luck.

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
I agree with Gregg Dudley - when I lived in HI, I've had hogs come out of thick cover and offer a shot when down wind of the cover and lightly grunting and "smacking" my lips like a feeding hog. It's really a hoot when they respond. Good hunting!
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©