3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Snake boot  (Read 276 times)

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Snake boot
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
I am thinking about getting a pair of snake boots for spring turkey and early season deer hunting. The game lands that I hunt. I have a very long walk to the back a few miles to the back of it. I am looking for something very comfortable and water proof. Are all snake boots pretty uncomfortable. Thats what I have heard. But I am looking at the Danner Jackel or the Danner Pronghorn. Which have you worn and most comfortable. Pros and cons any help wanted.
Thanks
Jeff
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Snake boot
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
I am wondering too....the pair i have will not flex at all!!!    :banghead:
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
Jeff,I grew up in that country and hunted snakes in MD,WV and PA for years.Timber rattlesnakes and copperheads come out of their winter dens app. May 1,sometimes later.They stay around the dens at least a month before dispersing.Now garter snakes and black rat snake will be out earlier but you shouldn't worry about them.

Dens are few and far between.They are found on south facing slopes,roughly,with rock ledges and especially rock slides.Not any rock structures will do.It has to be honey-combed below the surface so snakes can get well below the frostline but no big openings to let cold air in.There is usually water within a few hundred yards.There has to be shade but also open areas for sunning.They are never on North facing slopes.

In VA and those States North of it,I wouldn't expect to see a venomous snake before May 1 and then,only at a den if I decided to traipse through or around the rocks there.Like I said,dens are few and far between and hard to find.Now I'm not speaking about States further South.Expect them to be active when the temperature is 70 degrees and above.

Having said all that,any good leather boot 8"-10" will stop a timber rattler or copperhead and even many of the padded,cordura types will too.Actual snake boots are designed to stop the largest diamondbacks and aren't needed in that country.

With standard boots,or any for that matter,you have to use common sense and not step close to a rock or other structure where a snake could strike from and hit you above the boot.

Even when wearing snake boots,one needs to be aware of his surroundings,never placing hands or feet where a snake could be hidden.How many people who feel the need to wear snake boots,really want to be surprised by a snake hitting the boot? I suspect not many.Just being startled could cause one to fall,possibly even into another snake.

Anyway,in VA,during Spring turkey season I think your risk is very low and good comfortable hunting boots will suffice,given the snakes in your area.

Offline Jason Hansen

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
I would recommend Chippewa Boots...Made In the USA!

http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/snake_boots/25110
“That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
Sound advice Jim.  That's basically the attitude and precautions we take here in west-central KY.  While we have quite a few Copperheads in certain spots, that's about it other than a rare Timber Rattler sighting.  West of here you can also find an occasional Water Mocassin in the lakes region. The point concerning north facing slopes is also dead on.  Stay alert and watch where you sit kneel, or poke your hands during those first warm weeks.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
I have a pair of "Woody Armour" Muck snake boots that I wear from April to November in snake country(TX and OK). I find them to be far more comfortable than most I've tried and I've worn snake boots for 35 years. Check with the Muck Boot Outlet on line. They have the best prices and I believe free returns if they d not fit. The boots will run from $150 to $180. The Muck outlet has sales at various time of the year. Don't wait until you need them or you'll pay top $$$. Good luck in your quest.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Thanks Gary.I should have mentioned that copperheads may den alone or in small numbers in lower country,in places like rock walls,old buildings and especially abandoned saw mills with slab and sawdust piles.These are places that a Spring turkey hunters might set up around.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
I actually bought a pair of these  http://www.turtleskin.com/Snake-Chaps.aspx

and like them alot.  I will admit they are expensive but so are snake boots.

I bought them for the following reasons:
1.) My regular boots will be more confortable to hike in than snake boots and I tend to do a lot a walking when I am in snake country.
2.) I live in WI and don't need them here, BUT I do need to walk through berry and rose bushes too often and these chaps protect my legs for that.  I even toss them on over shorts in the summer to take a quick hike though the brush.  
3.) If I was going to invest in snake protection, I wanted to maximize the investment.

Again expensive, but I can use them year round and I couldn't use snake boots year round.  I actually went for a hike yesterday and had them one. They are kinda noisy at 20 degrees but I don't notice the noise when it is warmer and I didn't get bit :-)

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
When I lived and hunted in Fl. I tried a lot of snake boots. Most were too heavy for me and I wouldn't wear them.  So I started using the lightweights and would wear those on occasions when I was hunting or had to go through high, thick palmettos. Most areas I hunted I had to go through water over my knees to get where I wanted and the boots would fill up with water so I didn't wear snake boots very much.

They wouldn't have helped me on this big diamondback anyway. He almost struck me in the face when I was coming down on his head with a big limb.

I was spring gobbler hunting in Greenswamp WMA and sitting down leaning against a tree when I looked over to my right and saw him about 6" from my right leg. He was stretched out along side my leg with his head right about at my knee held up with his tongue flicking. I don't know how it was humanly possible, but somehow from the sitting position I was in (on my butt with legs stretched out) I managed to jump up and around the tree I was leaning against in about an 1/8 of a second. It jumped straight forward about 3', coiled up and started rattling. I found a long stick and killed it almost getting struck in the face doing so.

I was leaning against that little pine where my turkey vest is when he called up from behind me to about where I put him in the picture. When they are that big and calls get that close it's a sick feeling. I don't always kill poisonous snakes when I encounter them, if they don't strike at me, but I wanted to hunt that area more and didn't like the idea of him being in there. Looks like he has a squirrel in his stomach...I didn't skin him out.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
The hands down favorite here in TX are the Chippewa boots.........pretty much like regular cowboy boots, but snakeproof and waterproof.

Real comfortable, they pretty much mold exactly to your feet after a while, and even if you dont encounter snakes, they're still real nice for all the stickers and thorns and cactus and all the other stuff we have down here that sticks...

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
Wild story Hoyt.Glad you made it through that.That lump is too far back for the stomach.That's a pregnant female.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
I have some Danner's that are made very similar to the Jackel summerweight boot they offer.  They are lace ups above the calf and are extremely comfortable and good if you are going to put in some miles.  I really like them.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Thank you for all the input. Yep I may not need them as much as I thought around here.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
Hoyt glad you made it out of there. That was a monster.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
I have a pair of Rocky Boots. They are comfortable, but since they have never been "tested" by a big ol' Diamondback, I can't guarantee them. My next pair will be the Chippewa boot.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Great post, I've been looking for the same thing, after almost stepping on an eastern Wa. rattler two years in a row during deer hunting season. I got the rattle warning both times before I stepped on them so all worked out well...but may try a pair of chippewa's next season.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Like to bring this back to the top and hear from others who have Chippewa boots, what style and how they like them for hunting.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
I purchased Turtleskin Gaiters a few years back. Expensive but worth every penny. Lightweight and Snake proof. They also offer chaps and full snake pants. The Gaiters are camouflaged and will reach your knee depending where you place them on your boot.

I also have a pair of LaCrosse Diamondback snake boots (hard rubber). These work fine also but lack ankle support for any serious climbing. These too will stop the fangs of any snake.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
Where I live in Arizona, snakes are part of the daily deal. I personally have used several pairs of boots, and ended up with Rocky ultralight snake boots. It is so freaking hot out here that breathable ultralight is the way to go.

HOWEVER... I did get to try a pair of turtleskins, and will be buying some of those this year. Those things are comfortable...
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
I have tried three pair of snake boots all well over $250.00 - Chippewa, Irish setter and Rocky all of them tore my heels to pieces. Seems the full lace ups no matter how tight or loose has something to do with heel problem. I tried the slip on - cowboy type chippewas they were better but found the top of boot slapped calf when walking and was way to noisy for stalking.

The turtle skin pants or gators look like way to go.
hunt it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©