3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: need help please  (Read 344 times)

Offline bjohnson

• Trad Bowhunter
need help please
« on: July 23, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
I am relatively new to hunting with a recurve but I have made the decision to use only that this year. the only problem is I need to get a new bow with about 400 dollars to spend on it. I have accessories for it but I need a new one and dont know which direction to go. I have shot and hunted with compounds for 16 years but I want more challenge. gave up rifle now I am giving up compounds if I can make this work... any suggestions about bows to look at as well as any advise on form and shooting is a warm welcome.. thanks guys
58" 55@28 ozark mountain longbow
54" 48@28 jeffreys royal T/D
62" 50@28 Black Canyon 3pc T/D
62" 59@28 Crow creek 3pc T/D

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: need help please
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
Check out the used bow section under main forums. Lots of nice bows there...
A few sponsors make bows as well, although Im not sure about their price range.
Im sure more will respond with other suggestions...good luck with your decision, and hunt for a new bow.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
First let me say Welcome Aboard! And four hundred bucks should get you started OK. You can find a good recurve to start you off on this site. Just choose one about ten to fifteen pounds lighter in draw than your compound was/is.

Gotta get matching arrows. Might be able to use what you have now. If ya put feathers on them that is. Get hold of a bow first. That is the fun part! All the rest we will help ya with.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
Welcome. These guys are right. You will find a great selection of bows right here. This is a great bunch to deal with. I have made several deals on this site and all have been good  experiences. I have another in the works now. However, I would suggest you read Terry Greens guidelines on making deals in the Trad Bow classifieds. It is worth looking at.
If possible, you may want to locate a trad shoot in your area and get a look and feel at as many different bows as possible.Most guys are happy to show their gear. Everyone has their favorite brand and model. Me too. But what is right for me may not be for you.Check out the Trad events listed here. You may find something going on in your area .They are listed state by state. Enjoy the search. Shoot as many as you can. Hopefully you'll find the one you can't put down.

Good luck,
                              Ed      :campfire:

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
Do you want new or used?
Do you know your draw length?If not how tall are you?
Do you want longbow or recurve?
Wood or metal riser?

Offline bjohnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »
thanks guys... and rh for the answer to your question I am a 26 inch draw length and I would like a recurve of new or used.. no real preferences as long as it shoots good. looking to shoot around 60 lbs. want a shaffer but I also have to look at the money I have to spend right now.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
I think you'd be better off to buy a cheap bow around 45 # to learn on. THEN get yourself that nice 60 #er.  When I switched from compounds I wish I would have gone lighter to begin with.  It would have saved me months on getting my form proper.  Not tryin' to tell ya what to do, but you'll be able to learn quicker on a lighter one, and probably enjoy it more, at first anyway.
Good luck   :archer:

Offline bjohnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
I can shoot one and have in the past but I am by far not the best. I used to own a 45# pearson mustang. shot it well in time but had no direction in how to.. shot lots of small game and shot some traditional when I worked at sportsmans warehouse.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
I strongly agree with joekeith.  I shot a 65# wheelie and now shoot a 56# long bow.  There is a world of difference in shooting these things.  You will mess yourself up with a heavy bow unless you are one of the rare 10% that shoot a compound with proper traditional form.  Do yourself a favor and find a used recurve ($40 to $100) and begin learning.  There is so much more to get figured out here (like spine and point weight)and outside of forums like here you find little accurate information regarding sticks & strings.  Keep in mind, you can hunt with a bow in the lighter range suggested, and if you are talking deer, the north american whitetail is not thick skinned, so your good shot gets it done.  You will also be able to shoot, shoot, shoot (as you need to) with that "light" bow and get yourself on track.

Most of all, welcome to the fun!!!!
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
There are a lot of choices in the classifieds but KNOW who you are dealing with.

I would look for a take down with about 50 lbs at 28 in. You can get heavier limbs later.Starting too heavy will cause bad form habits that will be hard to break later.I can draw, anchor for several seconds, and shoot bows in the 80 lbs range for a few shots, but for every day practice and accuracy I shoot 50 lbs range.

I won't talk about used because there are too many to list.For new in your price range I would suggest either an aluminum riser Quinn Stallion or a wood riser Check Mate Hunter. Both are fine bows.Personaly I like the Quinn a little better.I like the heavier mass weight and cheaper price.Don't be fooled a Quinn will shoot as well as many thousand dollar customs.The Check Mate is a little nicer looking.

Personally I don't like short bows but I draw nearly 30 inches.At your draw you could shoot any length.Most folks shoot longer bows more accuratly.Get the longest that will fit where you hunt.

You MUST get arrows that are matched in spine to your draw length and poundage.When you pick a bow ask the folks here about arrows.If you choose lighter draw weights than 45 lbs at your draw you will be limited to a few different carbon arrows.Aluminum will give you more choice with lighter bows.

Good luck and welcome
Randy

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »
Please, please listen to what the folks here are saying about bow weight! Traditional shooting requires practice (lots of it!). If you start with a 60 pound bow, you will risk injury (joints and tendons), poor form, and worst of all, a switch back to wheels. Just because you can draw and fire a 60 pound bow a few times, don't think it is the right weight for you.

If you are drawing 26 inches then a 50 pound bow would put you at about 44 pounds, more than adequate for whitetails. Are you sure you draw 26 with a trad bow? Remember you will lose about 1 1/2 inches in draw going from wheels to trad. If so, a 50 would be perfect. I like longer bows because there is less finger pinch and they tend to be more forgiving (I need lots of forgiving).

I have a 55 pound longbow, and I love it, but I can't take a steady diet of shooting it without ending up with tennis elbow (tendonitis). I draw 28 inches (traditional) so I am pulling all of the 55, but you would be at 54 at your draw with a 60 pound bow...too much for daily practice. With my Kota 48# or Bear 45#, I can practice as much as I need to without much pain (still some if I get carried away).

Shot placement is much more important than bow weight. Unless you are hunting moose or grizzly, which I wouldn't recommend for a trad-novice, you will be much better off with a bow under 50 pounds.

One final thing, as you practice and develop good form, you may find that your draw length grows too. Mine went from 27 to 28 once I got my back muscles working properly. That will add about 3 pounds to your bow, so at 27 your 50 pound bow would be 47. Even at 44 pounds, your arrows will blow right through the chest cavity a whitetail at 15 yards. That is traditional bow range.

Welcome to the fold. You WILL become a better hunter using recurves and longbows. That's what it's all about!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©