3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need a little help with arrow setup  (Read 143 times)

Offline marshratTC

• Trad Bowhunter
Need a little help with arrow setup
« on: February 13, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
See spec page at bottom of post.

This is my arrow setup: I am shooting CE Predator IIs. It has 3050 on the shaft, but no mention of gr/in. which all my Eastons seem to have on the shaft. It is cut to approx. 28" from recess of nock to lip of insert. Depending on the spine, the gr/in is either 8.8 or 9.7. Which number do I use? Do I have a 400 spine or a 344 spine? I have the TCX #2 nocks (9 gr) and CE Insert #4 (11gr), a 100 gr field tip, and I don't really know about the feathers because they are custom made from this shop, but I do have his contact info to ask if needed. I am shooting the Sage with 45lb limbs, but I have a 27 in draw on the compound, so I would assume 42-43lb draw weight.

All this being said, if I use the low number spine weight:
bare shaft: 27 3/4 inches @ 8.8 gr. = 244.2
nock = 9 gr.
insert = 11 gr.
field tip = 100 gr
feathers = for the sake of argument 10 gr.
Total = 374.2

I was told that I would need between 400-500 gr arrow at my draw weight. I have seen some guys here shooting 700 arrows, and I just wanted to know if I was missing something. So basically, would my setup would be inadequate for the hog hunt that I have planned in March? Would I be ok if I simply went to a heavier broadhead, say a 125 or 150 gr? Would the broadhead be too lite at 100gr?

I hope I'm not missing anything, and this is all very new. I don't have anyone showing me this stuff, and I can't afford to buy stuff just to try out over and over again until I get it right. I feel really lost right now. With the compound, I just picked out my draw length and draw weight, go the shafts cut to my DL, slapped on a 100 gr. pt, and away we go. I've got a lot to learn. Please help. This is the page where I'm getting my info:
 CE Predator Spec

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need a little help with arrow setup
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
It is a . 505 spine and a gpi of 8.3.your gonna need alot more tip weight to tune at that draw weight.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline marshratTC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Prairie Drifter:
It is a . 505 spine and a gpi of 8.3.your gonna need alot more tip weight to tune at that draw weight.
Where did you get that spine measurement because I didn't find that on the spec sheet. It only listed a .344 and a .400. Thanks for the help. I really need it.

Offline marshratTC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
Did I screw up in my selection of Predator shafts? I had a suggestion by some people to try to add a brass insert for some weight as well as trying a heavier broadhead. I found 100 gr. brass inserts to fit CX arrows and 150 gr. Woodsman Broadheads. Is this too much weight in the front? This will add 250 gr.

New weight         original  374.2 gr.
shaft  244.2
nock   9
insert  100
broadhead  150
total - 513.2

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
TC, I just ran your bow and that CE arrow through an arrow calculator and I think It will work with a 100gr insert and a 100gr point. That would put you just over 10gpp with a 20.3% FOC. I had to guess on what string is on the Sage so that could make a slight change necessary but this should get you close:

CE Predato II 3050 shaft cut to 28"
TCX #2 nocks
3-5" feathers
100gr brass inserts
100gr point/broadhead

This set up will yeild a 451gr arrow that is 10.7gpp with 20.3% FOC.

If you go with a 150gr point/broadhead you would need to go down to a 50gr insert and 3Rives does sell 50gr inserts for CE arrows.

If you can get away with a 27.5" arrow length, the calculator says that would be almost perfect with the 100gr inserts and 100gr points.

Also, I would highly recommend a razor sharp cut-on-contact 2 blade broadhead.

Bisch

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Measure the ID of the shaft. I think they are smaller than the brass inserts that are avalible. Info is in the latest catalog from L*******r .
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
X2 with what Bisch said.
James Kerr

Offline marshratTC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
What if I just get the heavier broadhead, say a 150gr. Woodsman? I don't trust the "local" bow shop to change out my inserts. If I can get some help as to how to remove the old insert, I can do it myself.

I measured the diameter with the only tape measure I had, and it looks to be slightly smaller than 5/16ths. Do I go with the 9/32s?

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
That won't fit either. Just try a 200gr head and a regular insert.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©