3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Frog hunting with bow... anybody try it  (Read 470 times)

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
Frog hunting with bow... anybody try it
« on: February 13, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
i want to see if anybody has used there bows and with what type of tips did they use? or if they used there normal arrows what tips.

This spring and summer I'm looking to try it for the first time and I am pumped thinking about it.   :thumbsup:
If it is easy where is the fun. That is why I use a stick and string. The only sight I need is with my eyes.

Offline battman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frog hunting with bow... anybody try it
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
We did it years ago (probably 20 or better) and just used or regular hunting setup.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
If it were legal here in Michigan I'd use the 125 grain HTM rubber blunt, might also try plastic fletchings on an aluminum arrow.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
I've done it alot.  We used everything from broadheads to feild points.  Judos seemed the best for shots when they were on the ground.  Broadheads or feild points for when they were floating on the water.  That advice will cost you an invite though!  :readit:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
Well I'm here in Texas. I have to wait till spring comes around. I was thinking late spring all summer so they can produce a little bit. I have a few ponds in mind and then a few creeks and a greenbelt to canoe down with the bow and let them fly along with some fishing.
If it is easy where is the fun. That is why I use a stick and string. The only sight I need is with my eyes.

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
Okay now you've got me excited. I will be frog hunting this year now...    :D
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
Adkmountainken had a post about froggin a while ago....do a search and it should pop up. It had a bunch of pics.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline fedora

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
I use to do it when I was a kid.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
I did this a lot with recurve bows from about 1968-1974.  I usually used bowfishing rigs and bowfishing arrows.

Offline dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »
We used to do this a bunch for years. We used 357 casings for blunts on cedar arrows. Smacked 'em hard. Field points will let them jump off the back end of an arrow. After a little while you learn to pick your shots with regard to background.
It's a blast. Go get 'em
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
Oh yeah man, I love it. LOts of fun and good eating.   These I killed with 145 grain Ace Hex heads. Theyre deadly. I shoot em with field points too when there no risk of hitting rocks but they keep kicking so they need to be dispatched or theyll escape when you take them off of your arrow. That big one was trying to eat a mouse when I shot him and had 2 cray fish in his belly as well.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I found one of the posts on froggin and got it on the first page....video also!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
I started hunting them as a kid with wood shafts and target points. This works good but if you're down in the water and shooting them then you'd better get on them in a hurry after you shoot. I have had more than one get away after working off the fletch end.

I've caught a lot of them on a flyrod also. They will hit almost anything if you dangle it in front of their nose.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Buy the trad gang DVD, all kinds of grog hunting.

Offline KYhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
I just ordered a frog point from Clarkbroadheads.com called the Frog Hammer looking forward to trying it he also has other points for stumping,squirrels,phesants etc.

Jim

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
I've shot them with a carbon arrow that I modified by filling the nock end with epoxy to hold the stop screw for a arrow slide, field point with a electrical terminal behind it with a finishing nail where the wire would be crimped in at. I tried the regular fishing arrows, but they seemed a little to heavy for the more horizontal shots I was taking,plus the head made a huge hole in the frogs It seemed to work well enough.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
Set my son up.  Drilled through a field point and ran a stiff wire barb (like a fishing arrow).  I also had the alum arrow rigged with a swivel that he would attach to a fishing line and rod sitting on the ground.  Once hit, reel it in!

Worked great.  Got a few turtles too!

Dan- somewhere over the rainbow in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
When I took up bowhunting when I was 14 years old, I honed my archery skills on hunting frogs with field point tipped arrows. Great fun and good eating too.    :thumbsup:
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Fortun81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 02:01:00 AM »
I grew up shooting them in Louisiana.

judo points work great if your shooting them at the bank.

If your shooting them in open water, off of pads, I suggest a bowfishing rig.
If you hunt with your kids when they are young, you won't be hunting all over for them when they are teenagers.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 02:37:00 AM »
Started with an 18 lb all fiberglass bow that did a number on frogs,was alot of fun and good eating too.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©