3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Am I the only one who shoots underspined arrows better?  (Read 498 times)

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
Am I the only one who shoots underspined arrows better?
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Let me start with specs, I shoot a #46 @ 29" Kanati with a 12 strand B-50 string and 3 under. I get the best flight with full length GT 35/55 and 250 grain heads and also 11/32 #50 32" cedars with 190 grain heads. If I use Stu's charts I'm way underspined but these set ups fly great both with broadheads and bareshafts, and hit where I'm looking. I've been told with my set up I should be shooting near #65 woodies but they all hit way left (right handed) to where I'm aiming. Am I an exception to the norm or are there others out there like me?
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Am I the only one who shoots underspined arrows better?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
I think a lot of people shoot weak shafts better. With a finger release the arrow paradox is accentuated, and an arrow that flexes easier is more forgiving to a finger release.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Nope you are not alone. I shoot basically the same arrow from my bows and they range from 48-53 # @ 28

By the calc I am 15# under spined. They fly great with broad heads.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
X2
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
My best shooting arrows are 55-60 cedar 29" with a 125 snuffer and 125 woodyweights from a 63# longbow
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
I guess the ultimate test would be do they result in game being brought to the freezer? If so, then I would say don't worry about it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
If it bare shafts right and shoots well I don't think it is week. Sound like it is about right.

I shot a Kanati 46@28 with 29+ draw the other day. Shot my 31" 5575 with 275 up front close to tuned. That was with 8 strand FF sting and no silences.  About 18# under spine per calculator if I got the center cut right.  

You have a B50 string and probably silencers. that will reduce performance some.  GT 3555's are only 30" full length. I am not that surprised it shoots well for you.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
The popular opinion 20 years ago was to shoot arrows spined 10-15lbs heavier than the bows draw wt. Then you were to add another 5lbs of spine for broadheads. It messed me up for years. I didn't know better and assumed arrows kicked their way to the mark.

On the advice of a friend I tried arrows matched to the bow wt for a recurve and one spine group lower for a longbow. Man what a difference! I've been following that advice ever since.

This is my rule of thumb for wood. I just follow the Easton chart for aluminum. Works for me.

Just my observation.......sloppy release needs heavier spine, clean release needs lighter spine.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Not statistically substantiated, but this has been the observations from my limited experience.

On several different bows using the same shaft with minor modifications to length and major modifications to the end wt.

Great flight was attained at:
1. Stu's calc recommendation
2. Arrow set-up was ~15#'s underspined
3. Arrow set-up was ~30#'s underspined.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
I shoot full length 2016 with 145. Grain heads out of my Kodiak hunters, one is 43 pounds the other is 47 both at my 30" draw. Underspined according to Stu but work great for me.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
Me too! I can shoot a 500 spine arrow out of almost any weight bow with great flight....with 200 grains plus insert up front! Any time I've had buddies with tuning problems a weaker arrow worked to fix it. I think a common problem is starting with a shaft too stiff. JMO!

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
I've wonder the same thing, I shoot a 48@ 28 Kanati 8 strand FF with 35/55 GT full lengh with 300grs up front.I've bare shaft tuned and that is what it takes to get it tuned.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
I think it depends on how close to center or past center a bow's shelf is cut along with the thickness of the side strike plate.

With that said, my Blacktails are cut 3/16" past center and my side strike plate is 1/8" thick.

So, my 42# bow likes a 32" aluminum arrow spined for 57 pounds and my 37# bow also likes the same 32" aluminum arrow spined for 57 pounds.

By shooting different tip weights, this allows me to shoot a variety of differently spined aluminum arrows no matter their tip weights because the dynamic spine and arrow dynamic spine will both be around the 57# mark for both recurves.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
I have come to like an arrow that bare shafts a tad light

After I fletch they fly like darts
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
The wood arrows that shoot best out of my longbow are underspined. My bow is cut to center with velcro sideplate installed afterwards with a B50 string

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
I am finding out after numerous arrows and months of tuning that the slightest and I mean slightest stiff spine makes me shoot erratic.  Flyers or shooting to the right (lefty) is my normal pattern.  Recently, I shot some arrows that I thought would be to weak and to my suprise they flew where I was aiming; even with a bad release sometimes. For me being a little on the weak side hides my shooting flaws and gets me close to the spot.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
If they shoot well for you, from your bow, then they are spined properly. Guys worry too much about the charts IMO.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
My ? is I know some have been shooting for some time and for the new guys finding out under spined arrows are shooting well.I think that maybe they should check their form and consider they may be compensating for the arrow and its not the proper arrow at all.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
I think many are shooting over spined carbon arrows based on the spine the arrow is supposed to be.

I know lately some of the shooters around here are finding the 1535 GT arrows shoot very well in bows up to and slightly above 50#.

I started out shooting a 57# longbow with 5575 arrows and it never shot well until I tried the 3555 arrows.

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
You're not alone. I shoot slightly underspined arrows better out of my recurve and longbow.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©