3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowyer Wanted: I need a bow  (Read 684 times)

Offline The Huntress

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowyer Wanted: I need a bow
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Hi gang,

I have been looking around for some time now to find a new hunting bow. I currently shoot a Mongolian horse bow made by Toth Istvan that is 45# at 28". I'm thinking of switching over to longbow, but I have yet to find one that feels right.

What's most important to me is that the bow be made here in America by a bowyer, not a factory.

Next most important is design. I'm looking for a reflex-deflex longbow with a decent sized riser and not much handshock. I have a short draw length, 26.5", so the bow must be tillered for that. I don't want to get a bow made for tall people that won't give me all the potential energy it can generate. Length of bow I would prefer to be as short as possible for easy use in brushy terrain, but I leave that up to the bowyer.

Next up is materials. I want American woods. The best bow I've ever had was made by a fellow named Hank Pruitt, and it was a hickory selfbow. Extra points for those willing to work with hickory. I like Osage and walnut too. I also want antler tips.

Another important thing is handgrip fit. As you might guess from my handle, I'm a lady bowhunter. I have large hands for a woman, but they're still smaller than nearly all men. That means I need a scaled down grip. Sadly I don't have any preferred dimensions to give you. I just know that some bows I've handled are fine, and others are too big (for example the Diamond Woodland Hunter by Tomahawk).

As for the draw weight, I'd like to move up a bit from what  I currently have. I once measured my bow and I pull about 38#. I'd like to get up to at least 45#, perhaps 50#. I can pull bows rated up to 60# at 28" with relative ease.

Basically, I need good speed and power for hunting. I primarily hunt eastern whitetail. I plan to hunt elk, turkey and wild boar. Maybe some other birds if I get hungry. I use wooden arrows that I make myself, and have no plans to switch to aluminum or carbon.

If all this sounds pretty specific, it's because I'm just like most of you on this forum. I've been shooting all my life and I know what I like in a bow.

If you're a bowyer, or you know of one that makes what I'm looking for, please reply with your thoughts. I'd appreciate any input!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowyer Wanted: I need a bow
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
Check out Mike at Maddog archery bows he is a sponsor and makes some nice bows at great prices.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
OOF!!  There are so many here that can easily handle your requirements.
You should have no problem. Trouble is, a lot of top notch bowyers who are sponsers here barely have time to read and post.
Each trad person here has their own favorites, so you might end up with a LOT of choices!

Just curious, what made you consider changing from the horsebow?  I've never shot one.
David M. Conroy

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
Jan, Go to ETAR in July and shoot hundreds of bows if you want then pick a LEON STEWART Slammer. Great guy, great bows... just what you described above.

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
Centaur

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
That sounds like a fun project to me. I love building something for a customer who knows exactly what they want.

i build an assortment of different long bow design from a 52" hybrid to a 66-68". all of my bows i take pride in the craftsmanship and performance, I will custom fit the grip to your exact specs.

I have Osage, hickory, and walnut in stock.  Please contact me if i can be of service to you.

Kirk.  

The ebony bow here was built for a lady bowhunter in Colorado. She named this bow "Godess of the hunt"

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Kirk that is some STUNNING ebony. Another incredible bow.
David M. Conroy

Offline The Huntress

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by YORNOC:
OOF!!  There are so many here that can easily handle your requirements.
You should have no problem. Trouble is, a lot of top notch bowyers who are sponsers here barely have time to read and post.
Each trad person here has their own favorites, so you might end up with a LOT of choices!

Just curious, what made you consider changing from the horsebow?  I've never shot one.
Hi David, I know, there are tons of bowyers around. But I felt like my research was stalled, so the more the merrier!

Hmm, why do I want to switch? Well, mainly because my horsebow has a twisted limb. It's still shooting ok for now, but I'm trying to put a successor in place.

But also, I had a longbow once and loved it. Unfortunately, it broke. I've shot many that belong to friends and think I would enjoy the challenge of hunting with one.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
You may want to check out Mike Ballenger of 7 Lakes Bows in Pinehurst, NC. That way you can feel the bow and shoot one before deciding if he's the one.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
As already mentioned you wont find any problem with good bowyer sponsors here.check us all out,im sure one of us could build your the longbow of your dreams.if I can answer  any questions feel free to contact me.Good hunting! Mike

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Check out Striker Bows, one of the sponsors here. The bows that Rick makes seem like they'd be right up your alley.  Very smooth, light bows. Rick is easy to talk to, check him out!
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
A Great Northern Bushbow would definitly be worth a look. They won't break.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline The Huntress

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
That sounds like a fun project to me. I love building something for a customer who knows exactly what they want.

i build an assortment of different long bow design from a 52" hybrid to a 66-68". all of my bows i take pride in the craftsmanship and performance, I will custom fit the grip to your exact specs.

I have Osage, hickory, and walnut in stock.  Please contact me if i can be of service to you.

Kirk.
Those are beautiful bows, Kirk! I'll reply to you privately, but this reminded me that I didn't mention that I'm looking for a one piece longbow.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Beautiful bows Kirk.Love that ebony
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline tackhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
You should give Ben and Linda a call at Hummingbird Bows Thay can set you up, and thay are great folk to deal with, Thay are in Mt. Pleasant NC. you could stop by and shoot some bows, It helps that Linda is a World Champ. so thay know a little about female shooters.  :bigsmyl:  Gary
What you do speaks so loudly that I can't hear what you say! >>----->

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
One of the bowyers you need to talk to is Nate Steel at Bama Bows.  I'm sure he would like to make you a bow exactly to your specks.  Like most of the bow builders, he is really a good guy and will want to make the perfect bow for you.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
my hunter bow is a greaet shooter, very nice.

my economical archery bow is also great, extremely fast at my 26" dl and very accurate. also price is great
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Check out the new Signature bow at Raptor Achery, it is very close to what you described.  I have shot it and it is smooth and fast and also has smaller grip.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
Did you say one piece?   Well... i didn't notice that...

I built this one for my wife. She's another Mac Ebony fan....and this was a rare piece at that.

here's another one that i actually have in stock.

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Lost creek Life ender!
>>----> Lovin the mystical flight >>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©