3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowyer Wanted: I need a bow  (Read 686 times)

Offline Hootsbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowyer Wanted: I need a bow
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
I can build you a 56" longbow r&d with forward handle

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
I would recommend any of Kirk's work along with Big Jim's thunder child. I have not shot either of these bows but would not hesitate to buy one based on the reviews here. I love all of the different Tomahawk series bows especially the diamond SS and I will be ordering a new legacy 3 piece in a couple of weeks. However you said that the grip was to large for your taste on these bows. I know that if you like the way a T-hawk shoots that a Black widow Pl shoots almost identically to me and they offer a custom grip option.
James Kerr

Offline justracey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 06:02:00 AM »
Give us a call our bows cover everything you are looking for.  I love building bows for other lady hunters.
Just get outside and blow the stink off!!!

www.stjoeriverbows.com

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 06:18:00 AM »
Here are some pictures of some of our bows
 http://stjoeriverbows.com/inspirational.htm
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 06:57:00 AM »
I am also a short draw length archer who wants all the benefits of longer draw length bows...speed, power, stability, accuracy and etc..  That is why I went with a Dan Toelke longbow.  Dan builds bows that can meet your requirements with the speed, power, accuracy you need.  He will build you a bow per your specifications and send it to you to 'ring it out'.  If it does not meet your likes, then all you have to do is send it back to him...no commitment to purchase.  However, he builds such good bows that you will probably not send it back.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
Lee Hoots is another excellant bowyer, which happens to be in NC. Lee just like Dan Toelke will ensure your satisfaction is the utmost priority.  Lee makes some of the best looking bows with the best (IMO) grips you can find anywhere. They are short bows, but packed with all the features that you would be looking for.  So, if I would have to choose between a Lee Hoots or a Dan Toelke bow then it would be both...that is what I did.

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
my wife shoots a St Joe River Bow made by Tracey Balowski and David.  She has a short draw about  24"-25"  I had a 56" longbow made for her and it is a beautiful bow with lots of power for her to shoot.

this one is 40@28" i believe and it is a great bow to shoot and to look at also.
St. Joe River Bows

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
Mike Treadway is in north Carolina.  I think you would be pleased with one of his black swamp bows.  Search this site for old threads on mike and his bows.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
Huntress--
Whew I've been through a boatload of custom bows trying to find one that's "just right" for my female hands at my preferred draw weight of 44-45#. My draw length is a bit more than yours @ 28". At this point in time I have found 2 that I think are as close to perfect as I'm likely to get. One is a Pronghorn TD , made by Herb Meland in Wyoming. The second is an ILF made by Bob Morrison in Ohio. Both are fast and smooth, offer the convenience of a takedown for travel.  The Pronghorn has a lower grip than the Morrison, and is more "traditional". The Morrison has more possibilities, inherent in the ILF format. Both are 58" AMO, which I think is the perfect length to accomodate blinds, treestands and stalking. Both balance well with one of the smaller 4-arrow strap on quivers. Otherwise, you wouldn't go wrong with either of them.
Susan

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brently:
Check out the new Signature bow at Raptor Achery, it is very close to what you described.  I have shot it and it is smooth and fast and also has smaller grip.
x2 I have an older one, and it shoots great.  The newer ones are laminated osage and/or yew, so it's all made in the USA.  

I would recommend going to some trad shoots and trying out some bows.  You'll meet a lot of great people and you'll be able to narrow your research.  What works for me may not work for you...

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Have fun trying to choose. Alot of great bowyers out there.
>>>------John------>

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
The St. Joe River bow are the best I know you an buy!! Not only do you get the woods you want it made from (my long bow is made from all woods found here in Michigan) they are great at building a bow to your exact specs as in draw weight but will figure the best limb and riser length to get the best performance for your indiviguale draw length (mine is 30" pretty long for a trad shooter) and they hand form every grip so it is made to exactly what fits you.  I've shot trade bows for over 25 years now and they are one of the few true custom bows made out there and one of the best most accurate for me I've ever shot!
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline bow_man_66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
Since I didn't see anyone else throw this one in, Jim Neaves of Centaur Archery!!! Great craftsmanship, great performance, I love mine!! I too have smaller hands and that is one thing that drew me to the Centaurs, cannot explain how well it fits. Many fine bowers out there, put Jim on the list with the others listed here and I'm sure you cannot go wrong. Good luck with your search!!!
May your arrow always fly true and your hunt be an adventure.

Shoot Straight,

Bow_man66

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by justracey:
Give us a call our bows cover everything you are looking for.  I love building bows for other lady hunters.
:thumbsup:  
 Tracey and dave build SWEET bows!!!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
NICE LONGBOW KIRK,YOUR WIFE MUST LOVE IT.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Along with all the others, you might want to contact Sandra and Jim Belcher. He worked with Jeff Massie and designed the Longhorn which Jim builds today. They are great folks and Jim will build the bow to your liking.

Before you do anything though, try shooting a lot of different makes to be certain as to what you really like and want.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Consider talking to Bill and Tracy Dunn with Zipper bows.  They have a one-piece longbow zipstick in the works, check out this    link.    Sounds like exactly what you are looking for.  I'll be surprised if I don't have one eventually as well!

Bill and Tracy have made two bows for me of all native hardwoods off of the family farm.  Bill enjoys projects like this and they are super to work with.  Consider adding persimmon to your list.  It is the only north american member of the ebony family and has a density on par with osage.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
Check out my website.

God bless you, Steve

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
This post is from someone who just recently attended his first trad bow expo. You put that many top quality bow makers in one (ok, two) room(s) and it was an incredible experience. You can pick up and reject bows because all the grips feel the same and none feel right. You find booths with many different grips and the bowyer obviously could make any grip you want, but the style, fit, feel of the bow just isn't right. Then you find one that just reaches out and grabs you. Maybe you want different woods, or some other changes, but you feel like this is the bowyer you want to order a bow from.

I'm looking forward to attending a large trad shoot for the same reason. I've never had anyone tell me "no, I'd rather not let you shoot my bow". I'll bet it's the opposite - "Try mine - please!"
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
A much better question would be:
How much green is in my budget? Your bow thoughts sound like a basic bow for most bow builders when it comes to woods.
What are the best warranties in the industries and what is the base bow price?
How much experience does the bowyer have? How long is he in business? Does he build full time or part time? One piece, 2-piece ,3 piece?
Mild RD, medium RD or radical RD?
Is it important to me, wether I can string the bow safely only with a bowstringer or not? Or does this not matter to me?
Riser length/working limb length on different bow models. What length does the bowyer recommend?
Then you can start to sort and weed bows out...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©