3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Holding the arrow on your bow while on stand?  (Read 874 times)

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Holding the arrow on your bow while on stand?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
I use them both..the Kwik loc using woods will not let go. Like the problem ksdan had with the sta-jac

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
I keep my bow across my lap and my bow hand on the handle with a finger holding the arrow. I've been cought off guard too many time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
I use Sta jacs on my bows.  Don't think they're made anymore. Can still find them at bow shoots, on line, etc. Best arrow holder ever made IMO.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 01:34:00 AM »
I have a Kwik Loc on my bow and use it at times and my finger at times. I don't hang my bow, always have it across my lap so no big deal really to just put my finger on the arrow. I use an elevated rest and always let the arrow shaft lay under the rest on the shelf until I see game. I do that so as not to push the shelf down over time with my finger pressure on the arrow shaft.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 02:29:00 AM »
I bought some of the kwick loc this year from 3 rivers archery they work great, I have one on every bow now
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline gutbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 04:17:00 AM »
graylingoutdoorproducts.com have some arrow holders called the prefect arrow holder i really like it.The kwick loc to me is to big but ths grayling arrow holder i cut a lot of the plastic base off and stick it on the riser good stuff...

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 05:23:00 AM »
Kwik lock on my recurves, the grace of God on my Hill.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 06:03:00 AM »
I use the Kwik Lock, and I end up putting velcro on the riser, and the looped side on the back of the Kwik Lock.

That way I can take it off in the "off season", and simply apply the fuzzy side velcro to the side of the riser.

I hang my bow a lot in the tree stand and it works good. Plus, you can move it from one bow to another, just need more velcro.

I've always had time to grab the bow, and first thing is I release the Kwik Lock, if I hear or see game coming, I'm ready.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
My (usually frozen) finger, my bow is either in my hand on on my lap.
David M. Conroy

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 06:23:00 AM »
Bow in holder and shelf angled enough to keep arrow in place.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
i use a quick lok arrow holder. i have broken myself of what i consider a bad habit holding the arrow with your finger. in a hunting situation the quick lok will release the arrow as soon as you start the draw cycle. it is quiet, and easy to use. i also dont lay the bow in my lap. istead i keep the bow in a vertical postion, with the bottom limb tip resting on my foot, with my bow hand on the handle or near the throat of the grip. its less motion and always at the ready. rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
I was trying to think of something this past Fall as my index finger became more and more numb.  I was wondering if some kind of "knob" could be worked into the bow riser so my finger could rest on it instead of being wrapped around the arrow so tightly for so long.  Kind of like a thumb rest or locator.  Sounds weird now that I type it, but you've got a lot of time to think when your in your tree...

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
Arrow holders are a convenience. They are also one more thing that can fail and cost you a shot opportunity. Same thing with bow holders or hooks. On stand, bow In the lap, arrow On the string. One thing to watch out for is clothing pushing the rear of the nock off the string. They key is being ready at all times. Minimize movement and eliminate gadgets that might cause a problem if they fail or get in your way. Practice with your arrow holder if you decide to use one. They can pull your nock off the string if you draw without disengaging it first.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
If you have ever tried to hold an arrow on the shelf with your finger in below zero weather, you will appreciate the Kwik Loc. I started using one last season, and it sure beats a frozen digit. A little practice with it makes it a much appreciated addition to your riser.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
I keep bow in hand with finger over arrow in as near a ready position as comfortable - never know when something will slip up on you, but it is sometimes a pain.  We also don't have very cold temps, so I don't have to worry about not being able to feel my fingers.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
My bow is on a hook except for times I most expect to see a deer from the stand. Of course that is difficult to predict.

I've used Kwik Lock and Sta-Jacks. I do have to think about releasing the holder from the shaft as soon as I take the bow off the hook.

I'd like to find Sta Jack's with a screw attachment because I have a couple of bows (Thanks RWM)that have inserts at just the right place for attaching these.

I'm going to check out a couple of those mentioned above in the thread though.

Other than a Doe blowing, my least favorite thing to happen when on stand is to drop a perfectly sharp arrow from the tree. They always seem to hit a noisy step on the way down and then land on a rock!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
If my hand gets cold I use my string finger to steady the arrow while the other hand is in my hand warmer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
I call it a "bow spur"....but it's just an eighth inch piece of brass rod, about a quarter inch long, drilled and glued into my riser adjacent to the rest.   Although it's a permanent thing, you get used to it, and rubber bands are easy replacement things.   Hardly noticeable and without the rubber band on it, I forget it's there.    

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
You people that are having the holders pull the nock off the string may have them installed backwards.

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
I have the bow mostly on my lap when sitting, on a hanger when I stand. I've had the wind take my arrows off the shelf 3-4 times. Since then I've been using a double string nock and havn't had any trouble since. A generous fit for the arrow nock so it wouldn't pinch but so far so good. I setup my nock point as normal with the top nock. The wind may want to push the arrow one way or another but the arrow now has something to push against. Now it would have to be my fault.
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©