3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Holding the arrow on your bow while on stand?  (Read 873 times)

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Holding the arrow on your bow while on stand?
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
These work well for me. Self adhesive velcro attaches the arrow holder to the bow. At the end of the seasons it peels off with no damage to the finish.  

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
Have used Kwik-loks on very successfully on several bows for the past 15 years, BUT...

I have two very special bows I just did not want to stick anything to with adhesives.  On those bows, I have the Flemish Traditional Arrow Holder, and it is a great choice for the job. The work very well easy on/ easy off and no "sticky" to deal with. Eric is a sponsor here, and you can find his "stuff" at   http://flemishtraditionalsports.com/   .

I tried to be ready to shoot every minute of every hunt, and these two products do a good job of helping me do that.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
Mark, that is one of the coolest holders around. I remember seeing something like that a few years ago somewhere. Maybe you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
For those who use the Kwik Loc.

Can you take it off after the hunting season and somehow keep the adhesive side sticky so it can be re-used or do you just buy another?

I'm thinking the velcro idea might work.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
Paul I use the same kind as you.First pic is in the out of the way after hunting season but easy to put in place with velcro.Been using these for about 35 years.

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Kip- I still have the one you gave me at BQ on another bow

Paul

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
Brass pins in my bows too.......
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
In my bow holder arrows stand alone on the shelf without need of assistance with exception of high winds at that time she hits the lap.

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
I drilled a small whole in the riser and used a #4 or #3 finish nail cut to proper length(head sticking out to help hold on the rubber band).  I must admit, that I see my bows more in a utilitarian way than works of art.
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
Thanks Pat...but I can't take credit.   I learned the trick from Rudy Bonser, an older gentleman who retired up here from PA....and had a bow shop for many, many years there.   I'm sure it's been around a long time, and there are other who do the same thing or a version of it.  The truth is, I'd rather NOT have to have one, but as someone stated...I can last a lot longer with my hands in my pockets, when the temps get below zero.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
The arrow holder from flemish traditional sports.  Easy on, off, and  change to other bows.

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
duct tape

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
Thanks folks for all of the kind words!  For those not familiar with our arrow holder the best advantage of our holder is that it will come off your bow without leaving any residue or marks and it does not require you to drill into the riser.  It really does install in seconds and it is totally reliable without any cold weather issues.

Offline Papa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Whip showed me one that works great for me!  You attach a small rubber band to the end of a wooden tooth pick. The tooth pick goes against the side of the riser opposite the shelf and the rubber band goes around the riser over the arrow and loops on to the end of the tooth pick. When you are ready to draw, just release the tooth pick on the looped end and it falls to the ground without making a sound.

Mike

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Like Mr Baker, I drill and glue a small piece of brass nail into my bow.  I've done that for a long time.
ChuckC

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
I used to use the frozen finger method, then found the rubber band toothpick technique here on Powwow. Don't have a picture of it to post, but if you do a search you should find it.  Works for me.

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 02:55:00 AM »
Gonna have to try that one from flemish outdoor sports. Just got into the trad side this past year and have been looking for something like this. I bought one of the qwik locs, but couldn't bring myself to stick it to the side of my bow.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
I have never used one, just my finger,never had a problem. When its cold I wear a glove on my bow hand. I practice with it on so its not uncomfortable or clumsy. I also shoot wood arrows which arent as heat draining as aluminum. My goal is too keep my bow as clean as possible and have never felt the need for an arrow holder. I certainly dont knock people who use them, but for me its what the late Col. Jeff cooper called " an ingenius solution to a non exsistent problem" Its a big world aand to each his own, whatever works for you

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Kwik Loc for me. In fact i wouldn't have gotten my 8 pointer with out it. On Oct 30th I was hunting in thick laurels when the 8 pointer came walking through fast at 2:45pm and i was just getting set up in my stand. I grabbed my bow and made the shot before he passed my 15 yard window. If my arrow was in my quiver i would not have been able to make the shot.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
Kip, that bow/knife combo is making me drool.
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©