3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: trail cam wolverines?  (Read 721 times)

Online gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
trail cam wolverines?
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
Any members ever get a wolverine on your trail cam?  Anyone ever lucky enough to see one?  Maybe it's about like getting a trail cam pic of bigfoot?  Feel free to include  those pictures too.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: trail cam wolverines?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
That would be really neat.....never saw one, I would like to!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
No trail cam pic's but I did see one in Wyoming in the Windriver range when I was a kid.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
Dave Windauer shot one, I'll see if I can find the pic.
A guy in our bear camp claims to have seen one in northern Alberta.
David M. Conroy

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
I saw one in July of 2009. I took an old timer fly fishing up on the Montana side of the Idaho border. He was almost 80 and retired from being a forest ranger, this guy had spent a ton of time in the back country but his wife didn't want him going out on his own at his age.

As I was driving back towards town after a morning of fishing, this thing lurched out on the road just ahead of us and we were both dumbstruck by what we were seeing. It looked to be the size of a cub, but the hair was all wrong and it moved like a ferret. It took a few more lurches and it was gone down over the side. Whole thing was maybe 3 seconds but I'll never forget watching that thing move. My fishing partner said it was the first one he had ever seen too.

It'll be interesting to see how many more guys have seen them.
Thom

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
A member here shot one with his trad bow believe it or not!

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
Dave with his

David M. Conroy

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
John Harvard shot one a few years back in Alaska.  Looks like the picture has been removed but here is the thread.  

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065333#000000
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Not being in an area where the live...is there a season on them or are they considered a varmint. It seems they would be a tough critter to bowhunt!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
I've only seen the tanned hide of one a friend of mine had but from everything I've read and heard about them the grizzly would be on the same scale of what's considered dangerous.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
during my Alberta moose hunt last year up by lesser slave lake we saw wolverine tracks on the road. My guide has only seen two in his entire time guiding  ( 30 years)
Make a life, not a living

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
There is a documentary on Netflix and other places called Wolverine:Chasing the Phantom. Watching that will give you a healthy respect for how rare and tough they are. I can't imagine how you could hunt something that moves that fast without putting out a deer quarter as bait. I am in awe that trad gangers have taken them, that's beyond impressive!
Thom

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
I shot one in the NWT on a caribou hunt in the mid 90's.  Left it with a taxidermist in Canada and he disappeared.  Been following a thread on another site of some guys in BC running trap lines and they get quite a few.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
An adult male has a territory that's 600 square miles if I remember my facts correctly.  After hunting extensively in Alaska every year since 1975 (except 2011) I have seen exactly four.  One of which I shot in September of 2008.  It was the first game animal that was taken with an ACS recurve.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
You sir, are THE man. Incredible!
David M. Conroy

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
Incredible!    :scared:
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
We have them here in central BC in good numbers. I have seen them 10 or 12 times over the years including one right here in my yard. I had a deer ribcage nailed to a poplar tree for the birds to eat and the wolverine came running along, up the tree and ripped the ribcage off an ran off with it.Mostly we see them when boating on the big lakes around here in the fall.  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Both incredible and wonderful creatures!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
We saw one on an elk bowhunting trip in the San Juans of CO one year. There was some growling and rustling in a bush and it took off out of there as we went by on our horses. Our high school mascot was a wolverine and we have a stuffed one in our school entry and that is how I recognized it. My dad is a biologist as well, and was pretty certain on the identification. Never saw tracks or anything else of one though.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
We are overrun by fishers here and Im always amazed by how similar they are. Except for their size, tail and chevron they're very close in appearance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©