3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: trail cam wolverines?  (Read 723 times)

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: trail cam wolverines?
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
Rustic, that sounds alot like my two sons!
:laughing:  no doubt, anyone with kids can attest.

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
That sure is one cool looking animal.
What are the hunting regulations for wolverine in Canada and Alaska?

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
I've never got one on a trail camera but did run across a track once.I'm not right in the heart of wolverine country but not far from it.Montana is the only state in the lower 48 where it is still legal to take them and they limit it to 5 statewide.

In this country they are found almost exclusively above 7,500 feet in elevation and only in the mountainous western part of the state.I have talked to several people who have encountered them while bowhunting elk.Wolverine season isn't in,at that time.

They are quite an incredible animal,always hungry,always on the move.They seem to be able to find something dead from a long distance.They have been known to dig 8' down through avalanche snow to get at dead sheep or goats.

It is a puzzle to me how they make a living here,in winter,at elevations of 7,500' to 10,000',but they do it.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
Saw one up close in Alaska. I got him on film at 20 yards. I reached for my video camera instead of the bow. It took a bit to get the camera out of pack and turned on. The footage is not good. Funny thing, I did not realize I could have taken him with my bow and used my caribou tag. I was hunting moose at the time and I did not see any caribou in the area anyway. Ha! I guess I thought I needed a fur bearers lisence. Once the wolverine realized I was on to him, it took off across swamp bouncing off the hummock like a ball in a pinball game. Mike

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
JDinPA,as a non-resident you would need to have a registered guide here in BC area 6.The wolverine tag is $40 in addition to the general hunting licence. The season runs from Sept.15- Jan. 15.I don't know any guides that offer hunts specifically for wolverine. I think most wolverines taken are just a lucky meeting with one when hunting other species. Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
I am friends with a wildlife biologist on facebook. He has several trail cam photo's of a wolverine in Oregon.
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
I saw one in northern manitoba while caribou hunting.It has a very distinctive running style. It was the highlight of my  trip

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
I have seen two, one the Bridger mountains & one in the Gallatin mountains.  We watched the one in the Bridgers feeding on a deer carcass fortwenty minutes before resuming our hunt.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
I'd love to see one in the wild but since they aren't native to the southeast and I don't travel much, it ain't likely. It would be the highlight of any hunt though. I have always thought they were a fascinating critter. Would love to take pictures but have zero interest in killing one. I doubt they taste good and doesn't sound like there is a need for population control.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Predator 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
I was lucky enough to get some Wolverine trail cam pics when I was up in the arctic a few years back...one of my most rewarding "camera-trapping" experiences!

Online Warchild

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
John, That must have been a rush. I am from the "Wolverine State" and would love to hear the story behind this picture. Thanks.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
John, That is to cool!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
I've only seen one in the wild and that was in NWT on a caribou hunt.  He was about 400 yds from camp feeding on a gut pile from a kill the previous week.  Pretty cool through the binos.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
Man,that is great stuff Predator 1.Those are excellent pictures and that one is really pretty.Not many have a diamond that light.

Was there bait in the hole? I'd love to get some trail camera pictures of them.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Really neat.........very special photos!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
Elksong, thank you. Two years ago I was elk hunting and saw one here in Oregon "Southern Cascades". At first I was doubting what I was seeing but I was close enough to see it real good and it was definitly a wolverine.
 I talked with a friend who is a game cop later that day and he said they had a couple reports of sightings, but said that they had been believed to be extinct for many years in this area.
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2012, 03:21:00 AM »
Realy cool pictures. Theres non around here.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
Excellent thread!!
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
Thanks for the great response on this thread.  On that PBS wolverine special, the lady who has been studying them for over 30 years has seen only like 3. Wow.  In the lower 48 they estimate the population at only 500 and are one of the least studied animals in North America?? or was it the least studied animal in the world??  Anyway, great to see all the pictures and hear of the sightings.

Online gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©