3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: pro`s and con`s of string follow  (Read 646 times)

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: pro`s and con`s of string follow
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
I think,
That to experience,the benefits,of string follow,it must not be less than an inch.Any less than that,and youd be better off with a straight or reflexed bow.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shinken:
If you are gonna order a string-follow, you should get the NM Shelton for $20 more RC and you could get it with either the locator grip or the dished....

X2, I would give Steve a call.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
Curious - are these glass laminated string follow bows glued up that way or somehow became that way?

Thanx

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Z - there glued up that way.

Eric

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Thanx Eric

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2012, 08:58:00 AM »
Not meaning to be contrary, but agreeing with Overspined, the most dramatic"feel" if you will, came when I shot Steve's Whisper. There is no question that the Shelton is smooth and forgiving, but the Whisper's reverse handle design places your hand in a position in relationship to the limbs that is quite dramatic. The Whisper is built identical to the Classic except as a reverse handle. All that being said, I can assure you any of Steve's bows are "shooters".

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2012, 03:13:00 AM »
Bob Wesley ordered me a big 5 at my request when I went to his school. It wasto be made for me but it would be built the way he likesthem 70 inches builton the strait form. I think now that it is the ideal compromise for stability and speed.in a hill bow.the string follow bow and iv had two did not shoot any better for me. The newer hybrids are actually a lot faster at the same weights.if you can call 20 ftpersec a lot.what's that saying beware the man who only owns 1 bow because probably can really shoot it.Imho.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shinken:
If you are gonna order a string-follow, you should get the NM Shelton for $20 more RC and you could get it with either the locator grip or the dished....

I guess it just depends on how fast you want to get that string-follow  in your hands....

:archer2:  
I've been following this thread with interest as I am making many of the same decisions on getting a new Hill style bow. What is the difference in wait time?
Thanks.
Kevin

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
I think you can get a Hill in 4-6 weeks? maybe quicker?

Northern Mist is out about 9 months.

Not sure how much help Craig has besides himself and Jason.

Steve Turay is a one man shop.

Both have bows instock, somethin you might like. I know Steve is Alabama for the big shoot this weekend so you wont be able to reach him till later next week.

Eric

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2012, 01:17:00 AM »
RC- lots of good advice here, and my experience echoes what has already been written but I have sold all my string follow bows and have stuck to the straight limbs because to me the differences in the two designs were minimal.
I'd have to agree with Mudd though, I think you will be sucessful with whatever you decide. Heck I think you could kill something with a tree limb and a piece of rope    :biglaugh:

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
it will be a hard decision on weather i get a sunset hill or a hill .they are both suberb bows there just isnt a lot of difference in the top of line bows.there was a guy in alabama who won the hhill when jerry ran it he was shooting an old herters with a twisted limb.its not the bow but the man behind it.or women.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by WESTBROOK:
I think you can get a Hill in 4-6 weeks? maybe quicker?

Northern Mist is out about 9 months.

Not sure how much help Craig has besides himself and Jason.

Steve Turay is a one man shop.

Both have bows instock, somethin you might like. I know Steve is Alabama for the big shoot this weekend so you wont be able to reach him till later next week.

Eric
Thanks, Eric.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
Robert,

I built my first string follow bow about 25-30 years ago and prefer them to just about any other style longbow.
I spent many years with laminated bamboo covered with fiberglass and enjoyed every minute as well as taking many pieces of big game with them.

For a while now I've been using laminated bamboo string follow longbows without fiberglass. Natural bamboo for a back.

For my purposes I find that the bamboo with no glass surpasses most other longbows of the Hill style. They are smoother in the hand at the shot, draw sweetly when built long enough, give up very little in speed when using decent weights (50+ lbs.} and they are almost always deadly silent with normal arrow weights.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
Oh my Charlie!!

Please post up a few pictures of your all "naturals"!

Please, please, please!!!!!!!!!!   :archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
I think there is quite a difference between a string follow bow that is designed and built to your draw as a string follow, and a bow that is just reversed in the form to make it a string follow.  I still like them all tho...

:)      :thumbsup:
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
Careful there, Mudd!  You want to catch another "bow virus"???   Looking at one may be all you need to get pushed over the edge.  :biglaugh:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
Oh my Charlie!!

Please post up a few pictures of your all "naturals"!
X2, Please Do!

I agree Tim, with any custom bow for that matter, Should be built for the best performance for YOU.

Eric

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
He he I like that bow viris! ! I cant afford to get it.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »
He he I like that bow viris! ! I cant afford to get it.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
OK guys, help me out here. I have had 2 "D" bows and shot them both more accurately than anything else. One had a straight grip and the other a VERY MILD locator grip. Both hurt my wrist. Neither "kicked like a mule", but after a dozen arrows I always had pain in my arthritic wrist that I dont get from my r/d longbows with "medium" grips.

Aside from the asthetic pains it would cause some people, would I be able to get the things I like about a straight or string follow bow with a handle that is just a bit more "medium" wrist?
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©