3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow go boom  (Read 271 times)

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
bow go boom
« on: February 16, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
I got a "new" old stock Damon Howatt Hunter about a month ago, just got the string tuned and when I went to string it and shoot it the other day it had sort of gone stiff? I was using a stringer and could not, for the life of me, get the string on. So I widened my stance, hunkered down and gave it all I got and BOOM. Has this ever happened to anyone before? Your bow suddenly going stiff and then de-laminating when you string it?

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/j447/jmm1783/?action=view¤t=0215121316_01.jpg

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/j447/jmm1783/?action=view¤t=0215121312_01.jpg

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/j447/jmm1783/?action=view¤t=0215121311a_01.jpg

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow go boom
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
Wow that sucks, did you have the stringer to close to the tip?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
If you bought it new and have a receipt, I'm sure Martin Damon/Howatt will warranty it.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
Too bad!I am sorry for your Hunter!I am been lucky to never have such kind of experience.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
Bows are not supposed to go BOOM !

I have not yet had a stick bow break on me.
Wonder if the wood got dried out ?
Sorry
ChuckC

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
I have not yet had a laminated bow break. I am hoping that I never do. It looks like yours had a failure along the glue line which to me would seem like the glue either did not get applied right, or the glue had bubbles in it and dried with gaps in between the lams.
James Kerr

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
Bought a Martin Savanna from Cabelas a few years back. Shot it for a week or two and had the tip blow out like that also, called Martin, sent it in and got a new bow back asap.Was very surprised and happy with the service. Gump said it best "it Happens" Give 'em a call

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Wow, That sucks! Can you please tell us what style stringer you were using?

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
I feel your pain--hope it all works out.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Martin has awesome warranty service, I'll bet they replace it.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Been there and done that! Tore off a nail and almost broke my toe-barefoot-now I always wear shoes.
Sorry for your loss! Love those old Hunters.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
A sad end for a fine bow. Sorry for your loss.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
Bummer...
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 11:14:00 AM »
Sorry for your bad luck w/this beaut! Great looks, great weight!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
I called Martin but they said the bow only had a 5 year warranty.. and the bow is about 30 so nothing they could do for me. Its a shame because the bow only had about 100 arrows put through it in its life time. The bow seemed odd to me from the moment I got it. Just a little too loud, too much vibration, and like I said it seemed to have gone stiff and simply would not bend when I tried to string it. I suspect the de-lamination was because it was made with quarter sawn lumber which can get a propeller twist after a while. But I really dont know... Im more of a longbow guy anyway.

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
I really dont think the stringer had anything to do with it. Bad lumber, bad glue, and time are the most likely culprits.
 Thanks everyone for all the support!!
Jason

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
I had a bow Dave Gutherie built me when I was in my early 20's from Appalachian Archery. I waited like 6 months past when he said I'd get it when it finally showed. I shot it a couple times and really liked it. Had it sitting in my lap tying on the nock when BOOM !!!!!!  Delaminated on my lap inside. Sounded like a shotgun going off. Scared me to death. Glad you werent hurt. Sorry Martin couldnt help you.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
BOHO, had the same problem with the same bowyer. Waited almost 8 months for a 4 month delivery.

I shot it in our indoor range and the next night was getting ready to go shoot it again. I strung the bow and got ready, went to grab the bow and delaminated.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Dave had a pretty fair breakage rate as I recall.  I saw quite a few broken bows in the scrap pile behind his shop.

Regarding the stringer issue--they can result in a broken bow if you use one that has an end cup.  If while you pull up on the bow you let it twist a bit, you are suddenly pulling the tip to the side--the limb tip will torque on you and can cause delamination of the tip or a twisted limb.  I've seen it happen.  Best recurve stringer I have seen is the one Ben Graham supplies with his Hummingbird bows--a leg strap that you cannot torque the limb with while stringing.  He has a video of that procedure on his web site.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Jason,
That's a bummer man. Maybe you can run up on another one pretty soon that you can buy right.
David,
Thanks for the tip on the recurve stringer. Just watched the video, thinking I'll probably get one. Good idea.
Charlie
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©