3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: No Wheels  (Read 500 times)

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
No Wheels
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
Well I'm without a compound. Sold my wheels tonight to a young man who seemed extremely pumped about his new bow. It felt a little strange to hand it to another person and drive away with cash. I'm the kind of fellow who grows a little sentimental with my hunting equipment. But I fell back on those wheels last year when my true desire was to take a deer with my long bow. I told myself it had to go. I'm excited about my journey from here on out. Ive got 1 whitetail and a few bushy tails under my belt with the long bow. Traditional is more than a hobby for me, it has become a part of who I am, a way in which I define myself as a hunter and as a person. I'm glad for a place like TradGang where a "newbie" like me can come and express my excitement about starting on a new path with my stick and string.   :bigsmyl:
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: No Wheels
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
I know the feeling I am sentimental when it comes to my old hunting stuff too. I still have a old faded hunting jacket of my dads that I like to wear just because we had such good memories hunting together. It looks terrible and need to be thrown away but I just can't do it . Good luck on our traditional adventures!

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »
I know what your talking about when it comes to hunting garments too! I had an under shirt I wore for years. It was just an old OD green shirt I had got at an army surplus store when I was a kid and literally cut the sleeves out of it so I could keep wearing it when it got to tight! Funny how we grow attached to the things that take us back to the great outdoors. Good luck to you too!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
I know the feeling I am sentimental when it comes to my old hunting stuff too. I still have a old faded hunting jacket of my dads that I like to wear just because we had such good memories hunting together. It looks terrible and need to be thrown away but I just can't do it . Good luck on our traditional adventures!

Offline battman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 05:44:00 AM »
I did the same thing the other day.Sold my compound to get into this stuff but it sure felt wierd to do it.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »
Congrats again my friend! You are becoming a heck of a shot. You don't need those "wheels"!  ;)
Mike Davenport

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
Feel the freedom.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
Did the same think a couple of days ago!  FREE AT LAST....FREE AT LAST!!!!!!

I will say though, to each his own, it just felt right for me.  I certainly don't begrudge anyone who hunts with ANY legal weapon.  Truth be known I'd probably take up slingshots and rock throwing if it gave me a couple extra weeks to hunt.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by SheltonCreeker:
 Ive got 1 whitetail and a few bushy tails under my belt with the long bow.     :readit:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
I haven't shot my wheels in over 5 years since I got into traditional archery. It still hangs on the wall in my room. I can't even bring myself to put it in the case yet let alone sell it.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
I am still trying to decide if I should sell my compound or not. I had a lot of good times with that bow, bought it brand new and I was the 1st person to ever shoot it. I ordered my 1st set of arrows for my grandpa's recurve so ill finally have a matched set. Somedays I think I should sell the compound so that I can get more arrows and buy broadheads, refresh my camo stock, and also invest in a couple tree stands. But other days I remember that I shot my first doe with archery tackle with that bow. Had a buddy offer me $750 and a Sony Handycam, I just can't make up my mind
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
A new Tall Tines would be really great haha! I guess at the end of the day I am worried that I couldn't get accurate enough to feel comfortable hunting with just the recurve n would b nice to have backup just in case. But hopefully after the arrows (ordered from Big Jim!) come in I will be able to get them tuned n start getting groups!

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Sorry for the rant, I wish you well on your traditional journey!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
Yeah, it sounds like you feel that fresh new freedom like you get the first time you run through the woods naked. well, maybe not since you are from Illinois, it may be a bit too chilly for such fun and games up there. But, nonetheless, welcome to the Trad Gang. You have already made a nice beginning to your life in the trad lane and will no doubt find a lot of useful info here and will make some great friends.
Sam

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
Getting ready to sell mine with all the extras and etc...etc... Problem is, I left my digital camera at my daughters. So I cant post pics online.  :knothead:
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
The freedom does feel good!

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
When I sold both my 'bows with training wheels' I felt a great release.  I was a lost man and fell in love with the technology and blazing speed.   I made enough from selling both compounds to place a dandy down payment on my Robertson Fatal Styk!!  Five years later when I killed my first turkey with traditional gear I hooted and hollered like I was a kid again!  

Traditional shooting saved this old man from hanging up all his hunting gear.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
I sold mine not this past Christman but the one before that.  I let my dad go through and get the nick nacks I had for it that he wanted and boxed up everything that I had for it and sent it on its way.  I have never regreted it.  I've had more fun and have enjoyed hunting and being in the woods so much more since I switched to traditional.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
:campfire:    I'm just enjoying being around this campfire where the "spirit of the bow" is doing more to warm the spirit of my heart.

I welcome all of you!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©