3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Closest hunting shot you've had.  (Read 1335 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Closest hunting shot you've had.
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
The only times I have had a deer real close [less than 10 yards] I was tote'n a gun. One shot at a deer at 25 yards and that was in 1971.....I'm still at it!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bosteldr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
My first deer kill back in 1977, I feel asleep sitting on a stump in the late afternoon. As I woke up a few cows were moving down a trail followed 2 young does. One bolted from the herd in my direction stopped about 6 feet from me. Shot and hit.  Surprised both of us.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
The first "stickbow" deer I got was at 8 yds., I was in a tree stand back then.

While sittin' on a stool with my HBS on I had a big doe come up and sniffed me from behind.  I can't seem to turn around slow enough for them.  I spotted her peel out. She was at less tha 5 yards when I saw her.

2 years ago I had a big 6 pointer come over and check me out while I sat on the ground under a big cedar.  We've gotta 4 point rule up here so he was safe.  He came over to 8' and checked me out good.  I think he was smellin' the cinammon gum I was chewin'.  I just held my gloved hand in front of my face and tried to hide behind my bow.  I think I need a fatter bow.  :archer:

Offline IaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
With my compound, at 8 feet from a deadfall blind in N. Iowa. During the rut and he came in from behind me, downwind on a straight line to my decoy.

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
Had a raccoon that climbed into a treestand with me, shot it at @ 3 feet when it jumped onto a limb beside me did not even get to full draw just picked bow up and shot.

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
I've shot a number of deer still hunting (10-15')including a couple bedded down with rifle and muzzle loader (almost been run over a couple of times by deer being pushed by other hunters). I've been trying to duplicate it with my longbow and I'm getting close enough but the brush is so thick I haven't taken a shot - all would have been a sure thing with a rifle. FUN STUFF!

><>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
Grunted in a young buck while sitting on the ground. He walked by at 3 yards and a chundoo arrow, Hunters Head shot from a Shadow longbow put him down in 30 yards.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
My first mule deer in his bed at 10 feet
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jerry Jeffer:
I guess 3 yards for a shot, but I have had deer sniff me while sitting on the ground. I often get deer close enough to touch with an extended arrow.
This happened to me too.  It was after dark and I was packing up my climber to head out and heard something coming up behind me.  I froze, and even though I had my headlamp on it kept coming until I heard it sniff me from behind, just inches away.  Bolted immediately, I turned and all I know is it was a deer, doe or small buck, hard to tell with the headlamp and it leaving at warp speed.

Offline dpg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
Hey Todd!
You putting in for a Maine moose tag this year?

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
4 yards from a tree stand. The arrow went in about two thirds the way up the body and came out just above the breast bone on the other side. The shot took out both lungs and nearly cleaved the heart into. It is my most memorable hunt as it was my first deer with a traditional bow.
James Kerr

Online BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
with a trad bow, I shot a hog at about 12 steps. for a deer, about 8 steps. I was in a treestand both times.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
Big cow Elk at 8 feet-she stopped on the other side of the bush, eyes wide and said uhoh!

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
strait down from a tree. 5 yards from the ground.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
Mt. Goat 5yds
Stone Sheep 7 yds
Moose 3yds .............too close!

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
Back in my wheelie days I had a doe stick her nose in my log pile ground blind, no way could I draw that awful contraption before she left.

Close to the same thing happened years later after I went totally selfbow, a canted bow and a quick snap shot put a nice 4 point in the freezer.

I hate to think of how many deer escaped unscathed from that boat anchor looking thing before I went traditional.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Zero.

I had a caribou walking down a gulley and I was on my knees in the bottom.  There was a puddle about 6-7 yards in front of me and I figured when I heard him splash in the puddle I would come up shooting.  

What I didn't know was that my buddy spooked him and when I came up, he was at a full run right at me.   I actually had to lean back as he went by.  I shot with my string hand about my belly button and the arrow was in him befor it left the string.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
I snuck 80 yards to a bedded buck. I shot him at 8.

A pair of fawns ran at me in a clearing in a thicket. I shot the first one at 3 yards, and had to wave off the second.

While squirrel hunting, I had a 6 pointer pass within a bow length of me. Why not during deer season??    :knothead:  

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
12 feet all vertical . Had to put the lower limb between my legs to shoot straight down.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by LKH:
Zero.

I had a caribou walking down a gulley and I was on my knees in the bottom.  There was a puddle about 6-7 yards in front of me and I figured when I heard him splash in the puddle I would come up shooting.  

What I didn't know was that my buddy spooked him and when I came up, he was at a full run right at me.   I actually had to lean back as he went by.  I shot with my string hand about my belly button and the arrow was in him befor it left the string.
That's what you call up close and personal...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©