3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dumb Bowfishing questions.  (Read 330 times)

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
Dumb Bowfishing questions.
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
I have ordered an AMS Pro retriever, I have 2 arrows with gar points and I picked up a Muzzy roller rest. I am about to order a Samick Sage 45# recurve bow because I didnt want to drill or beat up the Browning Nomad I bought here in the classifieds recently.

Now for the dumb questions-the arrow rest-I assume the arrow goes on top?

And for the string I picked up one of those no glove things so I dont get my leather glove wet or was that a waste of money?

I am sure I'll think of some more dumb questions here soon.  :D

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dumb Bowfishing questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
No questions are dumb questions!

Question #1... yes, the arrow goes on top. FYI though, you can shoot a fish arrow off the shelf just like any other arrow.

Question #2... The no-glove wasn't a waste of money. I use one for bowfishing also and really think they're the ticket.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
the no glovesisnice. and yes it goes on top of the rest. however what do you plan on shoting? 45lbs to me seems a little light for big fish

steven
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Scott.............

There are NO dumb questions, we all had to learn. For your question, yes the arrow goes on top of the roller rest and I think that is the best rest for heavy fishing arrows. #2 The  no-glove is a great idea, I use one also.

Good Luck............

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline MOFISH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
45# is plenty, No Glove is a must for bare fingers, and shoot off the shelf. Better save up and buy more arrows ( lots more ). If you get into the fish this will be the most fun you've ever had with a bow.  :archer2:    :archer2:

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
As you gain experience, you'll figure out what you need and don't need.  

I use the same glove and tab for bowfishing as I do for hunting land critters.   Of course they may smell fishy while I'm out deer hunting.  

Collect fish arrows.  I made mine out of fiberglass rod from the hardware store.  I also make my own safety slides too.

That AMS retriever is the best thing invented by humans since silicone implants.  You will be addicted to killing fish.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
I use an old glove i have a wetshot but don't like it. I have a roller rest and don't like that either. But that's just me. I use an old Bear grizzly and just shoot off the shelf cut the rubber Fletch off the arrows you don't need them. This adapter works slick if you don't want to drill a bow   AMS reel mount
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
Ford/Chevy for the AMS Vs. Zebco 808 but both are great.  Ditch the rest and shoot off the shelf IMO.  You don't need it.  

No-glove works sweet for me with fishing for all the reasons you mentioned.  Not that I care if my glove or tab gets wet but it is messy out there and just one more thing not to worry about.  

x2 on ditching the plasic fletching - rediculous for the obvious reason that you have a string attached to the arrows so it has to fly straight.  

45 is plenty unless you are getting into BIG fish as in Sharks or Gator gar.  Likely you will be shooting as much as hundreds of times in a day so a light bow is priceless.  Besides tha arrows come in around 1000 grains so penetration is not an issue and most shots will be real close.  

Set up lots of arrows with tips and slides or cable rigs.  you can easily make your own cable rigs on the cheap and they are also priceless.  Fiberglass rods for gardening ect... work great and are cheap.  you will go through arrows and it is nice to have plenty rigged and ready to go.  Use a velcro strap to hold a doz or so spares together so they are not all over the boat. Also, cut self nocks into the arrows.  nocks pop off all the time if you are hunting in rocks and self nocks never fail.

Bring along a roll of duct tape - You will invent uses for it all the time bow fishing and will be grateful you did.  

Did I mention have lots of arrows rigged and ready?  No greater buzz kill than being on the fish and loosing your last arrow.  

If you are onto the fish action can be fast and furious - with a couple friends we have shot into the 1000 fish range in a day with plenty of doubles and triples so an 808 is faster with the gear ratio retrieve but AMS has a strong following so I am sure you will not be disapointed.  It is just 1:1 on retrieve so a little slow.  

If you are shooting from a boat or set position another trick for quick action or follow up shot is to have 20yds or so of line attached to the boat and arrow.  Lay the line loosely in a large bowl or bucket and just shoot away and hand over hand the fish in.  This way if you miss you can just grab that arrow up quick for a second shot.  If you are onto really big fish you can tie the end to a 2 liter bottle and let the fish go.  It is fun to chase the bottle!!

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stone Knife:
I use an old glove i have a wetshot but don't like it. I have a roller rest and don't like that either. But that's just me. I use an old Bear grizzly and just shoot off the shelf cut the rubber Fletch off the arrows you don't need them. This adapter works slick if you don't want to drill a bow   AMS reel mount  
Thanks for the heads up on that mount. I may just use my Browning and shoot off the shelf now. For some reason the fact that the Samick is an import kind of bothers me.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
Yes, I would definitely try shooting off the shelf first.

No such thing as dumb questions here.

I use the AMS trad bow mounts on mine and my kids' bows. They work great. We have both the AMS Retriever reels as well as the Zebco 808. Personally, I prefer the 808 because of the quick retrieve. I use a braided fishing line on mine and it comes off the spool as smooth as silk. Nothing wrong with the AMS reel though.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
sounds like your first 2 questions have been answered. Time for more.  Or go have fun, that's what its about anyhow.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
if im into big fish ams retriever,if im into numbers the shakespeare ti20 gets the nod...in my opinion the ti20 is the best reel out there...i use no gloves on certain bows....
i like biscuits

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
Ok another dumb question. For shooting off the shelf should I use the bare shelf or use a rest and strike plate as I am doing now? I am using the soft side of velcro as a rest and strike plate. I have a big piece of velcro enough to cut many more rests. My buddy showed me that trick.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
Keep the Velcro rest and strike plate in place.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
I would try shooting off the shelf first. As far as the Finger savers. I don't use them as I use an old tab but I have used them and like them.
James Kerr

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 02:06:00 AM »
Shoot off the shelf and the velcro will be fine. As for the fingers, I use a product called finger slicks and love them. Smaller diamater than the no gloves and has a nice cushy feel to them.

Good luck and have fun,

Dan

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
I ordered the AMS adapter and 2 extra bow strings. I figure I will just set up 1 string special for only bow fishing. I guess thats the nexr best thing to having 2 bows. I'm gonna keep my eye out for another used bow in the meantime.

If it doesnt get super cold here and freeze up I know where there is a south facing bay on a lake near her. I have hiked back there a few times on sunny days in mid March and it swarms with common carp. They just swim around and around in big circles over and over.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
I do like Stone Knife - old Bear Kodiak Hunter, trad converter mount with AMS shooting off shelf (no fletching).

45# is plenty.

I first tried doing it without any sort of reel, and that was a disaster.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Primitive Spirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Good info, guys. Think 40# would be sufficient? I've an old Wing perfect for this. Gar not superbig around here.
Liking the no glove idea. Will probably convert the wing for mostly fishing. 40# is too light for much else.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
40# will work. Just take close shots in shallow water. The no-gloges are pretty tough, and I use them WITH a glove. When shooting gets fast and furious, it makes it easier to get an arrow secured on the string when things get wet and slimey. Get a bow your not afraid to just chuck in the bottom of the lake, stream, pond, wherever your shooting so you can handle a fish, or IF by chance, you or your equipment ends up taking a dip/dunk.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©