3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how do you stop a hog on the move?  (Read 332 times)

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
how do you stop a hog on the move?
« on: February 17, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
I've found a nice spot where several groups of pigs move through on a frequent basis. Instead of sticking with my spot/stalk technique, I'm thinking I want to lay an ambush for them.

My problem is when they get into the funnel it's trampled flat and they don't slow down to root there. Someone suggested a handful of corn just to catch their nose, just long enough to get a shot off. I was wondering what else might be a good menu item for this? Some thoughts I would like feedback on:
- dried cracked corn
- corn soaked in beer for a week (with or without jello?)
- macadamia nuts
- truffles

I'm not sure a pig in the south would know what a macadamia nut was so I ruled it out initially. Then I kinda thought it might be fun to throw a handful out next to my other bait and see which one they go to first.

For that last one, I wonder if they are just genetically wired for it? I have a chef friend so I could get a little bit easily, just not a lot without having to break out the wallet.

If something as simple as a call would work that would be great, I'm in no way tied to the idea of just using a bit of food for this.
Thom

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how do you stop a hog on the move?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
Macadamia nuts are expensive. Im sure some food source would work or even a small log in the funnel would slow them down so they can go around it.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline hills of texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
A lone boar will often times stop on his own when I draw.  Its like they have a 6th sense.  A sounder of sows and young pigs sometimes I'll lip squeak lightly once I'm at full draw.  I'm cautious about putting too many things out there (food wise) because if a pig smells something new they can bust outta there fast and not come around for awhile.  I try to leave things as natural as possible.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
Some good thoughts guys, thanks. I hadn't considered the smell pushing them away.

In that respect anything but the dried corn would be a potentially negative change. There are feeders around the area that I know they hit from time to time that disperse the dried corn.

I kinda like that log idea too.
Thom

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
the log sounds like a good idea. When I was on Mindoro Island in the Phillipines back in '77 the local hunters used this trick. They would drag a log across a pig trail and then put sharpended stakes in the ground at an angle on the side opposite side from where the pigs would come from They told me the pigs would stop, then jumpover the log landing on the stakes. These guys had no concept of sport hunting they were just feeding their family.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
Pigs eat anything and everything so I would not spend any money on bait.  Just save table scraps in the freezer and throw that out there.  

Or you can just stop them with a well placed arrow - works every time.  Draw, follow, release with follow through.

BTW - is this in Michigan by any chance?  Lot's of pig talk in Michigan but very, very limited true evidence.  A trail cam would be cool just to prove they are out there.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
I have not tried food items that's not to say they don't work-just have not tried them; my son and I hunt on the ground always by spot and stalk. Ambush comes about when we hear them and we sometimes smell them too. If they stop you can get a shot if they are moving I don't bother; just wait for the next group.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Hi Bobby, I don't hunt pigs here, only out of state. If they ever get more prolific or if I get the word on some that need killing I'll change my tune!

The best MI feral pig info I know of is this pdf from the DNR:
 http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/FS_sightings_kill_1_5_12_373783_7.pdf

And this article where they say the state estimates a total population of 3,000 to 5,000 of them:
 http://www.greatnorthernoutdoors.net/steinbach-boar

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
choot it choot it. I just had to say it  :goldtooth:    :biglaugh: .......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
Food scraps work good and cheap take an old cpffe can fill it up and bury it bpout 2' dpown a lil past halfway in the funal and they will start looking for it

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
regular ol' corn will stop them cold.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
You might try putting the corn in a perforated drain pipe in place of the log. They will have to stop and roll the pipe to get the corn out giving time for a shot.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
There's this one wild pig call on the market and when you blow it, the pigs interpret it as saying "free beer and porky pig movies 'til midnight"
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Hogs love whole corn at least they do here in Florida. When chumming for hogs I am very careful not to touch the corn...I use a scoop to transfer corn into ziplock bags and then disperse the corn from the baggies with out touching it.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
Hey Mike, I figured you'd be the guy to say "with an arrow"  :)  I've got an article on calls I'm going to reread this weekend. I hoped to get you a picture of one of your MUTT bows and one of these pigs but I didn't get a shot off.

Les, I was thinking I'd take one of those sandwich sized ziplocks per day and do a 8' x 2' spread of it. After thinking about the log idea some more I think I'll lay a log the same size down the middle of it to slow them down a little bit more.
Thom

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
Red light and siren always worked for me.
Oh, you talking about the ones with legs, not wheels?
Good luck, couldn't hep myself.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
Dig a post hole where you want them, mix corn and raspberry jello in a bucket and dump in the hole.  They will start hitting it as soon as they find it and will dig it out until it's gone.

This is Rusty's raspberry corn hole method and it works great!!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
Thanks Mike. I did think a bit about the jello, when I was first searching around I came across that. It goes against the earlier thought of not introducing new smells that could alarm them.

If there are a bunch of pigs in the area the first time one of these is put out, how long does it take them to hit it? I can only hunt 3 days at a time so I don't want to push them off if it's going to take a week to bring them back. That said the longer the stop and the more broadside they get the better!
Thom

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
With a pass-thru  :archer2:  

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline EastTexasRedneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
That raspberry jello will not spook them, they love it. When you dig your posthole (2-3 ft deep), fill it with corn to 6-8 in. from the top. Pour a box of the jello on top then pour a bottle of water over it. Then fill in the rest with the dirt you dug out. The hogs will find it soon, their noses are amazing. They will keep coming back until it is gone. You won't believe the crater they will root out to get all the way to the bottom. Good Hunting,  Philip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©